Author Topic: Henry Stevens COPFORD ESSEX  (Read 15462 times)

Offline Mousey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Stevens COPFORD ESSEX
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kriti

Have been to the ERO today and searched the Copford Registers for Bewers.

I found the Thomas and Jamimy Bewers you know of and their children, Susanna, Jamimy, John, William and Charlotte. There was a death of an Elizabeth Bewers, burial date Oct 27 1761.
There were no other Bewers baptised during this period.

When I go back next week I will check the earlier Fiches.

PS
I didn't find ant Stevens whislt looking at these Fiche.

Offline Kriti

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 February 09 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for the BEWERS info. you uncovered. I'm on the other side of the country so chances to get at Essex resources are few and far between.

Kriti
BEWERS,HAWKINS,RUNTER,PRITCHARD

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 February 09 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marie,

Thank you for your help, it is always appreciated.

I know my Henry was born in Copford c.1800.

He must have marries locally as his eldest son William born c.1819 was born in Copford/ some times Chelmsford. The next child Caroline was born c.1820, possibly in the same area, also could have been named after a close relative (William was named after his grandfather)

I get so excited when I see the notification on my email to say there is a reply to this post, it's like Christmas.

Many thanks   Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline winstree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Kriti: Bewers family Copford
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 21:22 GMT (UK) »
As I have been researching Copford for some years, I have amassed a large amount of information and was interested to see your notes re the `Bewers`.
This family crops up in my draft book in relation to a cottage and four acres of land which was held from the Manor of Copford. I feel sure that they will turn out to be `your` Bewers. If so, I will keep an eye out for further details. The following is the extract that I have written which mentions the Bewers. I have included all the info as some of the other names may mean something to you!.

Brewery Field Cottages -™ 446 -& 445 Tithe Map
(formerly Hasletts/Hempstalls & Bewers Farm)
(Demolished/Decayed)
This holding is remembered as a small, low cottage with thatched roof and its land lay around it. The site is still easily identifiable but any trace of the buildings is long gone.
   In 1736, Thomas Bewers held the copyhold which was still said to be occupied by Jonas Dennis. The Dennis family farmed Roundbush Farm so Hasletts was probably used as accommodation for agricultural labourers. The same year, Thomas Bewers took out a mortgage on the property with Thomas Barnard, Vicar of Earls Colne which had to be repaid a year later at the Vicar’s house.
   Thomas died in 1738 and left the cottage and four acres to his son of the same name. Thomas Jnr. was only twelve years old at the time and his guardian was John Barker of Lexden.
   By 1752, the rental value of the property was £3 a year and the quit rent to the manor remained at 4d. Daniel Burdox, then holding  Bockingham Hall and Walnut Tree Farms amongst other places, was renting what was by then called `Thomas Bewer`s Farm`.
   In 1773, John Skinge was admitted at the manor court. Whether he came into the property by inheritance or purchase is not clear - he was related to both the Cleer and Stilleman families. He died in 1787 leaving his wife Mary a life interest and then it was to go to John Munson, a cordwainer.
   Mary Skinge appears on a manor rental in 1798 but must have died by 1803 when the property changed hands again. At this date, the manor records relate that Thomas Bewers (or Buers), a Copford labourer, was the son of the Thomas Bewers who had been admitted in 1738 (age 12) and the elder brother of John Bewers, a gunner in the Royal Artillery. Perhaps the manor steward was just trying to make sure that the Bewers had no further claim to the property. When a Thomas Bewers had died in Copford in 1777 the overseer paid carpenter Nathaniel Cobb 8s to make a coffin for him so it appears that he then had no property. It was Joseph Sach who was admitted to a moiety (or share) of the property in 1803 and there was no further mention of the Bewers/Buers or of John Munson the cordwainer. Joseph had paid the rates on the property at least between 1773 and 1776, so seems to have already been the tenant before his purchase, although, again he would not have been in residence being a wealthy farmer  who lived elsewhere.
Regards
Christina
my email address is not working at the moment sorry

Offline winstree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stevens COPFORD/ STANWAY ESSEX
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I note that early research that I included in my first Stanway Book has been passed on to you re William Stevens but since I wrote it I have continued researching and a little more info has come from deeds to the cottage where he lived. They state that William Stevens had been resident c1826 when he was gardener at Stanway Hall and that after William, the cottage was inhabited by his son-in-law John Batterham.
Just a snippett but evry little helps
regards
Christina

Offline Mousey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine

My Aunt and I have spent many hours studying your Stanway book.

Thank you for writing it.

I have just spent a fruitless couple of days at the ERO trying to find info on the cottage my Spurgeon family moved to in Beacon End from Warren Lane. On one census they are on Back Lane? From the Stanway rate books I have determined that they were renting from a John Ling from 1863. This is also the name given as Joseph Spurgeons father. Coincidence? I cannot find any more info on this John Ling. He probably died sometime around 1881 as a Mrs Ling is then named as owner.

If you have any info that may help I would be very appreciative.

Do you plan to write another book?

Regards Marie.

Offline Kriti

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 26 March 09 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all the wonderful info. on Thomas Bewers. It is such a great feeling when you can 'get in touch' with family history this far back.

All the later references to my Bewers relations come from the Maldon area and it seems from these details that there was nothing to keep them in Copford. Presumably the grass looked greener in Maldon. The family never rose to great prosperity but they survived, thankfully for me.

Kriti
BEWERS,HAWKINS,RUNTER,PRITCHARD

Offline winstree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 26 March 09 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie
Glad you are finding the 1st Stanway book useful, there is another one on the way 1900-1920 - with lots of refrences to Spurgeon! The family are still here and still in `Back Lane` which was later Council Road and is now New Farm Road. There were only 4 sets of cottages in Back Lane in the later 19th century - but which one belonged to John Ling I don`t know. But I will find out. Unfortunately, only one of the old cottages still survives. All the others have been pulled down and redeveloped in recent years.
I presume that your Joseph Spurgeon was the roadman in 1901??? He then lived in Workhouse Lane which is now Millers Lane and had a daughter Ada who was then 26. I have Arthur Spurgeon in a school photo of 1914. In 1901, a Frederick (b Stanway 1867)& Ann Spurgeon lived at King Coel Cottages (still standing) with some of their children. Their son George served in the Navy in WW1. He was a staunch supporter of the Peculiar People`s Chapel (now the Stanway Evangelical Church) and when he died in 1968, 2 days before his 69th birthday his brother Albert (known as Fred) wrote an excellent booklet on the history of the Chapel in his memory.
Spurgeons also lived at Prospect Cottages on the London Road - William Spurgeon in 1910 & Alice Georgina Spurgeon at her death in 1938 aged 75. I think William`s children were Ernest, Theobald, fred and Percy.
At Victoria Cottages, London Road (still standing) a Spurgeon was one of the tenants in 1875 - unfortunately the deeds don`t give his Christian name.
Let me know if any of these are the right Spurgeons - then I can keep an eye out for more info.
Regards
Christina

Offline winstree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 26 March 09 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer
Just a snippet that may come in useful - A Rachel Stevens married george Death at St leonards Church, lexden (next to Stanway) on Oct 15th 1730
Regards
Christina