Author Topic: Henry Stevens COPFORD ESSEX  (Read 15468 times)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Stevens COPFORD ESSEX
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 January 09 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marie,

Any scrap of information that could help me will my 'Stevens' would be great.

I will keep my eyes open for any mention of the name' Spurgeon', were they in London at any time?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Stevens COPFORD ESSEX - completed
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marie
a tad busy at present - get back to you in the next couple of days.

Jennifer
Just reading these again, and suddenly saw about Thomas Tooke - the Stevens, had, in a round about way, a connection with a family of this name, but spelt Tookey. Edward Stevens had a daughter Alice, my gt gt grandmother. She married a Frederick Charles Warren. Their eldest child child was Charles William Warren, who married Jane Tookey. Jane's mother, Mary Ann Walker, married an Albert Tookey from Edmonton. Albert's grandfather was one Thomas Tookey, born Middlesex about 1791. The whole thing reminds me of a very complicated jigsaw puzzle. Where's the time machine when you want it??
Regards
Jan

Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson

Offline Mousey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 January 09 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I don't know what happened to my Francis Spurgeon after the birth of her son other than she left Stanway/Copford. Her son remained in Stanway where he brought up his family.

Marie.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marie,

Had a look around East London 1851 census and could only find a few Spurgeons born Halstead Essex, one born Ilford Essex and a John 50 Wood carver who just gives Essex.

Jennifer

Offline Mousey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jennifer

I have a feeling my Spurgeons do originate from Halstead but have yet to find a link. Will keep looking and hoping that something will turn up.
There is always hope.

Regards Marie.

Offline Kriti

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MARIE Re: Henry Stevens COPFORD ESSEX
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 February 09 17:04 GMT (UK) »

I am currently researching my Spurgeon family who lived in the Copford/Stanway area.

Yesterday I visited the churches of Copford and Stanway. There were several grave markers with name Stevens. The next time I visit I will note them and post the details on this site.

I visit the Essex Records Office regularly and will look up this family in the Parish records.
In return I would appreciate if anyone out there would pass on any info on my Spurgeon family.
The Joseph Spurgeon I mentioned earlier was born 1805, in Stanway, as the illegitimate son of Franci/es Spurgeon and John Ling. She had been working for a Joseph Rod in Stanway between 1796 and 1800. John Ling was described as late groom to the Marquis of Douglas. That is all I know of him. A Joseph Spurgeon died aged 55 in 1810 in Copford. This may be the father of my Franci/es. I do not know where she was born or where she was between 1800 and 1804. She does not appear in the Copford or Stanway Parish registers.

Hope my info is of help.
Marie.

Hi Marie
If you are visiting Copford parish church would you do me a BIG favour and see if there are any BEWERS's around. I have some living there mid C18. but my info. is patchy.
 I have Sarah Bewers (Bowers?) baptised October 1734 in Copford and I think her father was called Thomas Bewers/Bowers.
 Then I have a batch of Bewers in the 1760's who are all children of Thomas and Jamimy (sp?) Bewers and they tie in to my direct tree just fine.
I'm trying to tie the Sarah of 1734 and her family to the family of 1759-1772

I need  Sarah to have a brother called Thomas.
Can you find him in the graveyard or the register? It would be great to have ANY pre 1760 Bewers.
Ta ever so
Kriti
BEWERS,HAWKINS,RUNTER,PRITCHARD

Offline Mousey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 February 09 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kriti

Am planning a trip back to Copford when the weather improves and I will look out for any Brewers.
I will be going back to the Essex Records Office next week so will look out for them there too.

It may be a coincidence but my Joseph Spurgeon married a Mary Shelton who had just been delivered of an illegitimate daughter (1925) whose father was named James Brewer, carpenter. Unfortunately, she didn't name his parish of residence in her Examination.

Regards Marie.

Offline Mousey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 February 09 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer

Had a quick look at the Stevens in Copford/Stanway last week when at the ERO but didn't have much luck. It was a brief look as someone already had the Fiche out when I got there. Will try again on my next visit. Wanted to let you know I hadn't forgotten.

Marie.

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 February 09 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marie,

Thank you for looking, any time given is much appreciated.

Jennifer