Author Topic: Henry Stevens COPFORD ESSEX  (Read 15467 times)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Henry Stevens COPFORD ESSEX
« on: Monday 24 March 08 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I need help to break down this brick wall.

I have a Henry Stevens who died age 45 in April 1845 in Bethnal Green. Henry was a Police Constable in the Dock Police at St.Katherines Docks London.

On the 1841 census for Gloucester Street Bethnal Green Henry says he is not born in the county.
On the census are his 2nd wife Ann nee Thacker age 25  not born in the County
Caroline 19 dau. n.b.i.c.
Henry 14 son n.b.i.c
Eliza 11 dau born in the county
Ann 2 1/2 dau     b.i.c
Charles Henry 10 months b.i.c

As Henry died before the 1851 census I am unable to prove where he was born. I have only been able to trace Charles Henry out of all the others on the 1841.

There was an eldest son who was not with them in 1841 William Stevens but just around the corner he worked at St.Katherines Docks and was not born in the county.
On other census he gives various places of birth including Stratford/Colchester & Copford all Essex.

I have a John Stevens who is also living in Gloucester Street in 1841  not born in the county who works as a gardner/lab at St.Katherines Docks.
On other census he gives his place of birth as Copford Essex.

When Henry married Ann Thacker he said his father was William Stevens a Gardner.

From what I have Henry was born c.1800 and John c.1797.
How do I tie them both together????

Henry's children were not born in the county. William has given Copford as one of his places of birthc.1820  Caroline c.1821 ? Henry 1827? Can anyone find any bapt. to match these children. Sorry I do not know Henry's first wife name.

I have tried to give as much information as I can. I am keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Jennifer

Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Stevens COPFORD ESSEX
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 September 08 06:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Jennifer
I am also having a brickwall with a Stevens born in Copford. Mine is Edward Stevens, who according to the census was born Copford abt 1807. My Edward married Louisa someone, and they were living in Holborn, Middlesex from abt 1840. Louisa died in 1866, and then Edward married someone named Ann. They had married by 1874. But I can't find him on the 1871 census. I recently put a post on the essex rootsweb site as I am trying to find the dates of both marriages and when Edward died, and what the 2 ladies surnames were. Edward would have been my great great great grandfather.
And this is the reply I got - the second bit is the interesting one - as you mentioned that Henry said his father was William, and you also mentioned a John born 1797.
And Edward is living at 30 Gloucester Street, Finsbury in 1881.

>>Hi Jan, on Familysearch, there are marriage registers for Saint James, Westminster, London transcribed, and among them are:
EDWARD STEVENS
Spouse: Louisa SWIFT
05 MAY 1835   Saint James, Westminster, London, England

Also on familysearch.org, in another transcription series, there is an Edward STEVENS christened 06th Sep 1807 in Copford, Essex (his birthplace on 1851 census, and right birth year), parents William STEVENS and Mary. Other children of a William and Mary in same series in Copford: Mary 1788, William 1791, Sarah 1794, John 1797, Thomas 1802, Charles 1804. It may not be your Edward, but a definite possibility.<<

I don't know if any of this is any help, but thought I'd offer it to the conversation. Edwards children (those I have found) seemed to stay in Middlesex, as far as I've found.
Jan in Daintree, Australia
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 September 08 06:47 BST (UK) »
This is on Boyds marriage index.

1830/  STEVENS  HEN  /COPSON  SARA / CHELMSFORD / ESSEX 
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 September 08 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan,

I am glad to fins another poor soul chasing 'this lot'.

I am pretty sure that your Edward was my Henry's brother.

Henry lived very near Edward in Red Lion Sq. & Theobalds Road Holborn in the 1830's. I have this from the St.Katherine's Dock records. He was recommended for employment by the Chairman of the dock's Thomas Tooke. Thomas lived in the Holborn area, so I am wondering if the Stevens boys came to Holborn to work for him as gardener's and Henry moved on to the docks?

I have found your Edward still in Boswell Court in the 1871 census RG10/369/125, he is now with a Sarah Ann given as his wife . He is 64 a now a house decorator and she is 52 and born ?ldbury Surrey.

Louisa died aged 55 Sept qtr 1866 Holborn ref. 1b 398. I can not find a marriage for Edward, he may have just lived with her?.

I would love to have the information that you have on Edward and his family, it may help with our research. I have traced John through the census and he definitely comes from Copsford.

Possible deaths for Edward aged 77? Holborn June 1883 1b444 & Ann aged 63 Holborn Sept 1889 1b434.

You can PM me if you would prefer.

Jennifer

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 September 08 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Sue,
Is there any likely marriage for Henry Stevens on Boyds in in same sort of area, his first child William was born c.1820 second child Caroline c.1821.

Jennifer

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 September 08 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan,

I am glad to fins another poor soul chasing 'this lot'.

I am pretty sure that your Edward was my Henry's brother.

Henry lived very near Edward in Red Lion Sq. & Theobalds Road Holborn in the 1830's. I have this from the St.Katherine's Dock records. He was recommended for employment by the Chairman of the dock's Thomas Tooke. Thomas lived in the Holborn area, so I am wondering if the Stevens boys came to Holborn to work for him as gardener's and Henry moved on to the docks?

This is also v interesting - Edward was listed as a Gardener in 1851 then he was a Butler, but probably wasn't good at it, because after that he was a House Decorator.
Also, in later years, he becomes related by marriage to some Tooke/Tookeys. My maternal grandmother was a Tookey.
I wish I understood the lay of the land better - I have no idea how these different places relate to each other, and how close together they are. I am in Australia - where are you??
I will reply better later after work!!
Regards
Jan

I have found your Edward still in Boswell Court in the 1871 census RG10/369/125, he is now with a Sarah Ann given as his wife . He is 64 a now a house decorator and she is 52 and born ?ldbury Surrey.

Louisa died aged 55 Sept qtr 1866 Holborn ref. 1b 398. I can not find a marriage for Edward, he may have just lived with her?.

I would love to have the information that you have on Edward and his family, it may help with our research. I have traced John through the census and he definitely comes from Copsford.

Possible deaths for Edward aged 77? Holborn June 1883 1b444 & Ann aged 63 Holborn Sept 1889 1b434.

You can PM me if you would prefer.

Jennifer
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 07:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan,

I have sent you a reply to the email address you have given, but it has not been able to be delivered?

Jennifer

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer
That's because I'm an idiot and didn't check what I sent.

This time Moderator comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses, please use the Personal Message system to exchange details.  Thanks. 

Jan

Offline Mousey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 January 09 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am currently researching my Spurgeon family who lived in the Copford/Stanway area. A William Stevens was a witness to the marriage of Joseph Spurgeon to Mary Shelton at Stanway parish church 16-08-1826. Stanway and Copford lie adjacent along the London Road between Colchester and London. This road was the main route from Suffolk through Essex into London.

In 1564 a Matthew Stevens purchased the Manor of Oliver's from a Henry Golding. Matthew was described as a Fordham Yeoman (Fordham lies very close to Copford.

In c1697 a John Stevens sold Shrub Wood (117 acres). This also lies to the south within easy distance of Copford.

From c1812 a William Stevens was tenant of Henry Hammond Hayward at Wenlock's Pightle in Stanway. This William rented other small pieces of land in the Parish. This holding is described as a house and shop adjoining Beacon Lane(Villa Road).

Yesterday I visited the churches of Copford and Stanway. There were several grave markers with name Stevens. The next time I visit I will note them and post the details on this site.

I visit the Essex Records Office regularly and will look up this family in the Parish records.
In return I would appreciate if anyone out there would pass on any info on my Spurgeon family.
The Joseph Spurgeon I mentioned earlier was born 1805, in Stanway, as the illegitimate son of Franci/es Spurgeon and John Ling. She had been working for a Joseph Rod in Stanway between 1796 and 1800. John Ling was described as late groom to the Marquis of Douglas. That is all I know of him. A Joseph Spurgeon died aged 55 in 1810 in Copford. This may be the father of my Franci/es. I do not know where she was born or where she was between 1800 and 1804. She does not appear in the Copford or Stanway Parish registers.

Hope my info is of help.
Marie.