Author Topic: stewart family of shambellie  (Read 23172 times)

Offline Scatza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Alabama Azalea
    • View Profile
Re: stewart family of shambellie
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 February 09 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Oh, of course Gadget ..... thanks :)
McMurrie/McMurray, McFegan, McClune, Coltart, Shaw, McLean - Kirkcudbright; McMurray, Simpson, Adams, Mussett South Africa

Offline crackpot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 March 09 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello Southerner,

Would love to hear from you. I have been finding out some things about the Stewarts. George Mackenzie and his wife Marianne are my fifth great grandparents.
Crackpot
Male --Cheshire
Thorburn--Cheshire, Liverpool, Plymoutrh devon, Cheltenham
Tailyour--Scotland, Devon

Offline phylscot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 April 12 15:44 BST (UK) »
I've been reading all your posts about Shambellie. My2xGgrandparents were servants at Shambellie in 1841, and her brothers and father worked in the sawmill there.  If the present house was built in 1856, where was the house in 1841 and whatt was it like? Does anybody know?  Phyl
Calvert,Todd, Dumfries-shire
Black,Jones,Todd, Thompson, McDougall, McNair  Liverpool
Black  Ellis    Anglesey
William Kelsall Tait, Elizabeth Filkin Astbury  Staffs
McDougall  Mull, Oban, Greenock
McNair  Fairlie
McFarlan Greenock

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 21 December 17 01:01 GMT (UK) »

Am looking for info. on the Stewarts of Shambellie. I have just learned of that connection. A Marianne/Marion Stewart married George Mackenzie. they had a daughter Ann Mackenzie who married Rev. William Thorburn of Troqueer. He is my gggggrandfather. Marianne also had a sister Lilias Stewart who married David Staig who was Provost of Dumfries. Any help of info. would be greatly appreciated. I understand that there is a Shambellie Museum.

Thank you.
Pepperpot

Hello Pepperpot

My Wife took me to Shambellie House some years ago and we were shown around.

I also purchased a book about the House / Family for my collection.

Their later house was an important National Museum of Costume.

I found the book the other day still in packaging, but can't put my hands on it now despite looking.

I'll look again.

Mark

Offline crackpot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 21 December 17 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mark
Thank you for your email. Since I posted I was able to go to Scotland, research at the Dumfries Archives and visit Shambellie. It was such a thrill. Unfortunately the house is no longer a museum so I was not able to go inside. Thank you for trying to find the book you have---it may be the one I got also--was it on the building of the House? I also have one of the two books by Frank Stewart mine being titled The Early Stewarts Of Shambellie 1550-1700 . I was looking for the second book but have been unsuccessful at that.
Are you related to the family?

Once again thank you

Elaine
Male --Cheshire
Thorburn--Cheshire, Liverpool, Plymoutrh devon, Cheltenham
Tailyour--Scotland, Devon

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 22 December 17 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Elaine

I think you may have the book The Creation of Shambellie The Story Of A Victorian Building Contract
Alistair Rowan, 1982. (64 page book £1.25 in 2008)

Mainly about the building of Shambellie House, but some brief Stewart information.

The Shambellie Estate had belonged to Sweetheart Abbey and the Stewarts acquired the estate from the Browns in 1625.  The abbot's house in New Abbey village became their family home (no date).

Mark

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 22 December 17 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi
You will find that the costume museum at Shambellie closed several years ago. However, there is an archive of Stewart of Shambellie papers in the Ewart Library Archives in Dumfries. They are quite extensive and worth examining.
Ian McClumpha

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 23 December 17 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
You will find that the costume museum at Shambellie closed several years ago. However, there is an archive of Stewart of Shambellie papers in the Ewart Library Archives in Dumfries. They are quite extensive and worth examining.
Ian McClumpha

Really glad we went and were shown around when we did. A bit here about what has happened since the 2013 closure.

http://shambelliehouse.org/history-shambellie-house

Yes, that Ewart Library Archives, at Dumfries, holds quite an interesting collection. I was interested in the history and the sad demise of Kenmure Castle, New Galloway, when a scrap metal dealer had his Office there.

Scrap Metal Dealer Purchasing the Castle + Lead on the Kenmure Castle Roof - should have = Alarm Bells Ringing!

The County Authority and Scottish Government failed to secure the building by a Listing Order. The scrap metal dealer had given an assurance he wouldn't demolish Kenmure Castle, so the Council did nothing to protect by Listing. The dealer didn't demolish the Castle. However the dealer, appeared to allow the stripping of the lead off the roof, water got in and the timbers went rotten and a once fine Castle House building, is now in ruin. Which must stand either upon, or near the site of the ancient original building.

When the Local Authority realised what was happening, they decided not to List the surviving intact part, as they feared they might have to make good the lead already removed from the roof. It seems there were two failed opportunities to List, originally and then failing to list the part where the roof was untouched.

We visited quite a few times, but it looked too dangerous to venture inside, due to older underground parts and the possibility of falling masonry. Very sad.

The old archives had the Sasines Register entries. The Ewart Library had some old 20th Century Sale Particulars, the Rate Roll for Kells, references in the Newspapers and the County Council Minutes, so I was able to trace the demise in a number of records and trace all the County Council Minutes, backward and forward.

Mark

Offline RJJW

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 07 October 19 21:14 BST (UK) »

Am looking for info. on the Stewarts of Shambellie. I have just learned of that connection. A Marianne/Marion Stewart married George Mackenzie. they had a daughter Ann Mackenzie who married Rev. William Thorburn of Troqueer. He is my gggggrandfather. Marianne also had a sister Lilias Stewart who married David Staig who was Provost of Dumfries. Any help of info. would be greatly appreciated. I understand that there is a Shambellie Museum.

Thank you.
Pepperpot

In case it is of any interest - I have a book inscribed by Mrs Marianne Mackenzie of Dumfries which she gave as a wedding present to Annie J Addyman who married a man called Hobson in 1882.  Annie was from Yorkshire but about 10 years after her wedding came to live in Richmond Upon Thames.  The book must have been expensive and is "The Life of Christ" by FW Farrar DD.  There is something else inscribed which I can't make out.  It may be the residence of Marianne in Dumfries http://ons.addyman.homeip.net/ppl/1/3/b95e0dd48639c74410be601831.html