Author Topic: Girls born in Leighton Buzzard 8 Dec 1915  (Read 887 times)

Offline vuurklip

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Girls born in Leighton Buzzard 8 Dec 1915
« on: Friday 28 March 08 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I need to trace the name of the birth mother of Doris Elizabeth Moffatt (now deceased) b. 8 Dec 1915 in Leighton Buzzard. Moffat is the adopted name. She was adopted by Livingstone Moffat and brought to South Africa. The name of her mother is not known to me, so a start would be to be able to investigate all girls born on that day in Leighton Buzzard.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Girls born in Leighton Buzzard 8 Dec 1915
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 March 08 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Births are only indexed on a quarterly basis, and it's possible that a birth on 8 Dec could have been registered in the January quarter. And without buying the birth certificate it's not possible to find the date of birth, so there's no way of checking all births on a certain day.

Try checking http://freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl and search against "Doris" in each of the quarters in Leighton Buzzard registration district - in fact there are only 3 Doris's but no Doris Elizabeth amongst them - if indeed that was her birth name.

In 1915 there was no formal adoption, just informal arrangements, so I don't think there will be any official papers, although I know others know far more than I do on this subject.

Sorry I can't offer more

David

A Livingstone Moffat age 10 born South Africa was a pupil at a school in Brighton in 1871
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell