Author Topic: Help with freebmd please  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help with freebmd please
« on: Friday 14 January 05 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi to all, 

I have found an entry on freebmd for a marriage of George Henry Mack Jun qtr 1910 in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire. I am sure this is my George. Whoopee you would think but alas no. There is no partner and a vague page number   9 underscored under the 9 and on both sides. Freebmd say I could still find the partner by trying a different method which I tried but am none the wiser. Tried a few other ways but no good. I am tired and maybe thats the problem but can anyone explain how to find out likely partners for my George.

I know I could just order the cert but I allow myself 3 certs a month and I would be waiting till the end of summer to get his. If there is an easy way of finding out this info (at no cost) could some one please enlighten me.

thanks Anjo

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with freebmd please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 January 05 11:23 GMT (UK) »
How about looking for Mack births after that date and getting the mothers' surnames from the most likely-looking births?

You can then check those surnames either on 1837online or on fiche at a library.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Lyn S

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 January 05 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Anjo

Very useful as the Free BMD site is, we must always bear in mind that it is, as yet, incomplete.

Having transcribed quite a few entries for the site myself, I know how frustrating it is when I have come across an entry in the registers that is not completely clear and the only way of expressing my uncertainty about such an entry - for the purposes of inputting data - is to put brackets around particular details.

If you do decide to go ahead with an application for George Henry MACK's Marriage Certificate and you do it on line, it would be worth your while using the 'Extra Checking' facility (maybe entering George Henry's Father's name, if you know it). I have used this facility on numerous occasions and it certainly paid off in one particular case.

If the details do not 'match', then you will only be charged - I think £3.00 - for the search and the reamining £4.00 will be credited back to your account.

Good luck in your research.

Lyn S

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 January 05 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lynn and Pauline for your suggestions. I will bear them in mind. What I thought someone would explain is how can you find possible partners on freebmd with an iffy page number because I didn't seem to be able to grasp what they were saying. I'm off to bed for a while and will try and sort them out later. Thanks for everything. Anjo

Offline JLo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 January 05 13:25 GMT (UK) »
I'll try and explain it....

On the search page you don't enter a name. 
You select 'marriage'
You enter the date range - in your case 'June 1910' to 'June 1910'
You enter the volume no. which you know from George's entry is 7b
You then have a guess at the page number - this is the tricky bit! On the help page it gives you a link to look at the page numbers it could be.  In your case it is 453-748.  You know from George's entry that the middle number is 9, so that gives you possible pages 490-499,590-599 and 690-699.  You try each page at a time and look for any spare women!  :o

I had a look for you and there were a few possible wives for George:
Annie Elizabeth Barnett (P.591)
Eva Elizabeth A Palmer (P.591)
Harriett Green (P.592)
Clara Helena Naylor (P.592)
Beatrice Elizabeth Foley (P.593)
Gertrude Annie Spooner (P.593)
Eliza Jarvis (P.699)
Florence Clemintina Pearce (P.699)

I can't narrow it down anymore than that I'm afraid, but hopefully one of those names might mean something to you  ???

Hope this helps
Julie
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Marshall, Beeson (Herts)
Lo(e)wenthal,Kavanagh, Maxam (London, Birmingham)
Harrisson, Matthews (London, Essex)
Poulton, Philbrick (Essex)
Guest, Timmins (Staffs)
Raynes/Ryall (Ireland, Birmingham)
White (Bucks)
Gunn (Scotland, Lancs, Essex)
Ison (Tamworth, Birmingham, USA, Canada)

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 January 05 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Julie your explanation was brilliant now I understand and thanks for rooting the possible matches out. I have had a nap and feeling brighter and you have just made it brighter. Thanks for that you're a star Anjo