Author Topic: Chisholm's of Melvaig also Macrae & Mackenzie  (Read 17602 times)

Offline Magzy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chisholm's of Melvaig also Macrae & Mackenzie
« on: Monday 31 March 08 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi I was wondering if anyone knows the Chisholm's from Melvaig?

I have been searching my family tree and the names I have come up with are MacRae and MacKenzie.

I am really stuck at my gggg Grand Father Alexander Chisholm he married Mary MacRae in late 1700's

They had a son John Chisholm born 1800 and died 1885 in Lot 27 Melvaig his death certificate said his parents were the above but I cant find any marriage and i cant find John's birth either I know he married Mary MacKenzie in 1831 Poolewe Gairloch I have most of the family and children but this is really getting to me.

If anyone can help me i would be most grateful.

regards,

Margaret

Offline Alastair Chisholm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Chisholm's of Melvaig also Macrae & Mackenzie
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 June 08 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,
Try posting your enquiry here:
http://www.clansman.info/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Good luck
Alastair
Chisholm, MacRae, MacDonald, MacDonell - Strathglass

Offline chis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 June 08 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have a William Chisholm,born 1902 at 27 Melvaig.  He married Catherine Ann Mackenzie on 30 Aug 1921 in Glasgow.  Catherine lived at 28 Melvaig. He died fairly young as Catherine remarried.  His parents were Hector Chisholm, a steel worker and a Mary McLachlan.  She was Irish and William was called Paddy the piper. Sorry I don't know much more about him.  He must be related to you.  I am researching the Mackenzie side. He would have been the husband of my 1st cousin, once removed.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Anne

Offline Magzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Thank you for replying. The William you you have is my great uncle, he was called the paddy and his daughter Eliza (Lizzy Paddy) still lives in Gairloch. He was my Gran's brother the only thing is that he did not die young Catherine died young and he remarried May Livingston and had a son who died in infancy.
I have pictures of him as a POW and with some of his family
I would be grateful if I could have a look at you tree as there does not seem to be anyone looking for my side of the Chisholm's

Regards,

Margaret

Offline chis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 July 08 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret, sorry taken so long in replying.  I do not have a 'tree' of the Chisholms.  William Chisholm was the husband of my 1st cousin,once removed - Catherine Ann Mackenzie.  Married on 30 Aug 1921 in Glasgow. I told you he died young as Catherine remarried, no, this is incorrect. It was his daughter that remarried, sorry.  Catherine died on 27 Dec 1955,age 54yrs in Gairloch.  William died 1980 in Cambuslang, is that correct?  Didn't know he remarried, what was her d.o.b? Lizzie still lives in Gairloch. Ina and May her siblings as far as I know.  I would love to see a photo of himself and Catherine and their families. 
They all lived in very close proximity to one another, the Mackenzies,Chisholms,Mcleans,Macraes, hence they married into each others families quite frequently.  Very confusing.
I found your John Chisholm, son of Alexander Chisholm and Mary McRae,Melvaig.  He married Margaret McKenzie,b. 1 June 1810. Margaret was his 2nd wife.  She was the daughter of Margaret and John Mackenzie.  Don't know who his first wife was,perhaps the death certificate says.
The parents of William were Hector and Mary McLachlan, is that correct? 

Offline Traffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 02:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

I am researching my Macraes of Melvaig, Aultgrishan and Gairloch, and have discovered one of my great grandfather's sisters, Ann Macrae b. c 1846 married William Chisholm on 5 March 1868 in Gairloch.  Their children are listed as John b. 11 JAN 1869, Kenneth b. 28 NOV 1870, and Margaret b. 17 JUN 1873 - all born in Gairloch.

Ann's family lived at Lot 13 Melvaig, and Ann is listed in 1851 and 1861 census at that address.  I am yet to venture further along the Chisholm line.  Maybe this could help you in some way.

Traffy
Macrae, Chisholm, Munro, Cairncross, Robinson, Clendinning, Pitkeithly, Worley ............

Offline Magzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 August 08 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Chis and Taffy,

Yes all the information you have told me is correct all are members of my family.  I will look out the photos for you chis and if you let me know your e-mail i will send them to you. 

I am still stick at the Alexander Chisholm and Mary MacRae but i will get over it I'm sure ;) John's first wife was Catherine Urquhart they married at Poolewe on 11 Jan 1923 and had a daughter Janet and she died in childbirth. I have gone down each branch and got a lot of family in my tree now if you would like i can send you the GEO file of it.

Regards,

Margaret

Offline x_Kassie_x

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 November 08 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I see you have photos of your great uncle William Chisholm as a POW.  This is my great grandfather and I'd be grateful if you could send me a copy.  My e-mail address is (*)

Thanks,

Kat

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline lolz0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I hope some of you are on here still as it has been a couple of years since your last post.  I have just started putting together my family history and aren't very sure where to start, but was very pleased when I came across this discussion.  My grandmother is is Eliza (William Chisolm's daughter).  I would be very greatful if some of you could help me fill in some of the gaps.  Margaret - would love to see your tree and your photos.

Thank you

Laura