Author Topic: BUCKLEY  (Read 29483 times)

Offline jethorp

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Jimmy Whitehead. Sprinkled with pixie dust
    • View Profile
BUCKLEY
« on: Monday 31 March 08 19:59 BST (UK) »
Would like to hear from ANYONE with a BUCKLEY (surname) in their tree!! mine were all from the saddleworth/oldham area.This is a wild card but you never know!! Thanks for reading this thread
Buckley: from Saddleworth. Nield: from Oldham,Whitehead:from Oldham,Kenworthy:from Oldham, Heaton; from Oldham & Mossley,Dyson: from Oldham,Sykes; from Oldham, Durkin; from Oldham/Ireland.Lucas; from, East Lulworth Dorset South Shields.Harvey; from South Shields/Oldham. Swan/Swann; from Oldham and the Midlands McNeeny; Ireland/oldham lancashire.
Furmage; Dorset. Marks; Dorset. Biles: Dorset. Milberry: Farnham Surrey.Shorts: Dorset. Shorts: Dorset.

Offline technoblond

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BUCKLEY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 June 08 19:33 BST (UK) »
Mary Buckley is in my tree. She was born Mary Lamb, but married James Buckley. After he died she married my gt grndfather, Sidney Smith. All were licensees, and I have 2 booklets, pubs in Oldham, and Pubs in Chadderton. The Buckleys are mentioned. I can be more specific if you want,,(names and dates of pubs and Buckleys who were landlords) Let me know if you would like this onfo.
Technoblond

Offline jethorp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 June 08 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks for getting in touch. The Buckleys in my tree are from the area yours were I dont know that they were publicans but I have a note from one of my many conversations over the years with my father(Cecil) and the note I made reads King George measure which I presume is the optic measure of today.I cannot be any clearer than that but here are a few names anyway just in case.
Joshua Buckley 1822 to 1860married to Mary? then to Sarah Dyson; 1 son (see below)
Joshua Buckley 1860 to1947 married to Eliza ? 8 children.
Thomas Buckley 1898 to 1976 Married to Mary Lucas.3 children.
I doubt we are on the same thread but you never know!!
get in touch if you want more info I would like the Pub info if you have time. thanks in advance. J
Buckley: from Saddleworth. Nield: from Oldham,Whitehead:from Oldham,Kenworthy:from Oldham, Heaton; from Oldham & Mossley,Dyson: from Oldham,Sykes; from Oldham, Durkin; from Oldham/Ireland.Lucas; from, East Lulworth Dorset South Shields.Harvey; from South Shields/Oldham. Swan/Swann; from Oldham and the Midlands McNeeny; Ireland/oldham lancashire.
Furmage; Dorset. Marks; Dorset. Biles: Dorset. Milberry: Farnham Surrey.Shorts: Dorset. Shorts: Dorset.

Offline technoblond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 June 08 22:35 BST (UK) »
Chadderton Pubs
Duke of Bridgewater, Walk Mill,  1888-1889 John Buckley
                                                   1879-1881 Mary A Buckley
Free Trade Inn 340 Midleton Rd 1913-1923 John A Buckley
                                                   1923-1924 Ann Buckley
                                                   1924-1928 Benjamin S Buckley
                                                   1928           R.S.Buckley
Spring Vale Inn,Booth Stake       1941           William Buckley
Oldham Inns and Alehouses
Alfonso 48 Manchester St.           1836-1842 William Buckley
Bay Horse Primrose Bank            1750-1763 Jonathan Buckley
Black Swan,Bottom o'th moor      1859-1879 William Buckley
"                     "                             1857-1859 John Buckley
Bulls Head,670 Ripponden Rd      1842-1848 Benjamin Buckley
    "                 "                             1827-1829 Jonathan Buckley
  "                    "                             1837-1867 William Buckley
Cotton Tree 534 Huddersfield Rd  1823-1825 William Buckley
Crown 4 Cheapside                       1842-1845 Thomas Buckley
Hare and Hounds 16 Yorkshire St  1870-1872 Thomas Buckley
  "                   "                               1872-1880 Hannah Buckley
Kings Arms 6 Yorkshire St.              1868-1869 Charles Buckley
Lamb 16Market Place                      1861-1862 William Buchley
 "                 "                                   1871-1875 Charles Buckley

Offline jethorp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 June 08 23:25 BST (UK) »
Wow I dont know if you know the area at all?I used to live in the area and some of the pubs are still there but have changed their names.The Free Trade is now the Freehold. Cheers!!!

Offline technoblond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 June 08 21:35 BST (UK) »
Oldham Inns continued...
Mutual 27 Smeturst Rd                           1857 John Buckley
Oxford 116 Oxford St                              1900-1904 John C Buckley
Plough 318 Manchester S                       1817 Edmund Buckley
Radclyffe Arms34 Radcliffe St                  1875 Benjamin B Buckley
Spinners 115 Saw Road                         1847-1848 William Buckley
Wagon and Horses 744 Ripponden Rd   1795-1799 Mark Buckley
  "                    "                "                     1799-1905 John Buckley
  "                     "                "                    1805-1838 Robert Buckley

(Mary) Ann Buckley of the Free Trade inn 1923-4 was the 2nd wife of  my gt.grandfather Sidney Smith, he also was a licensee of Red Lion 33 Market Place 1920-24
If this is your relative, would you have any onfo on either Sidney or Mary Ann?
Sorry the list is in 2 parts, I couldn't fit them all on yesterday!
Do you know anything of the Hollingworth Lake ares of Rochdale? The other side of my family is from there. If the list cantains your rellies, I could send the ISBN numers of the books, or scan text and photos from the books

Offline johnnewtrainer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I seem to have a couple of possible links with Buckley.  A Mary Ann Buckley married John Miley (b.1865 approx).  Also another Miley - Catherine or Kitty - had the Alphonso pub in manchester Street Oldham with Emanuel John Guest or Walter Morris.  I would be grateful for any information concerning either of these links. 

Thanks

Offline jethorp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 November 08 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Your links are not on my tree unfortuately.though they could be in Technoblonds tree.All my rellies are from the saddleworth delph area, which isnt far from Oldham.Good luck!!

Offline johnnewtrainer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 November 08 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks anyway.  By the way - a small error on my part - it was Mary ALICE Buckley not Ann as stated.