Author Topic: Fountain Dale near Blidworth  (Read 33919 times)

Offline cybrgran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Fountain Dale near Blidworth
« on: Friday 14 January 05 15:54 GMT (UK) »
In 1881 my G grandmother worked at the above house. She was a Cook/Servant to Lt Col Sir Arthur Need.

Could anyone tell me how I could get a photograph of this house? Would it be in any books about Nottinghamshire.?
Does anyone know if it is still standing?.

Any help and advice appreciated.

Regards.............................Cybrgran
KAY - Notts and Derbyshire.
SMITH - Notts.
Johnston Armagh
Maguire Co Cavan
Millen London
Smith Liverpool
Stenhouse Fife

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Fountain Dale near Blidworth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 January 05 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, It is strongly associated with Robin Hood and if you google "fountain dale"  (include the quotes) and you will have lots of information on Fountain Dale but i couldn't see any pictures, You maybe will have more luck.
If you go to this website

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/

And search for Fountain Dale or Reid you will find info like this which is taken from White's Directory of Nottinghamshire 1853

"Bottoms and Fishpool are hamlets which form part of the village. Rainworth is a small hamlet, two miles from the village on the Southwell road. Fountain Dale, the handsome mansion of Mrs Anne Need, is distant 1½ miles north of Blidworth, near the romantic scenery of Thieves Wood and Harlow Wood. Blidworth Hall, 1½ miles south-west of the village, is the beautiful residence of Jonathan Hardcastle Esq."

Steve.

Steve.
Census images Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

Offline cybrgran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 January 05 18:27 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks Steve, I will have a go at that.

Your help is much appreciated.

Regards.............................Cybrgran

SMITH - Notts.
Johnston Armagh
Maguire Co Cavan
Millen London
Smith Liverpool
Stenhouse Fife

Offline purple caz

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 March 05 11:55 GMT (UK) »
I have a picture of fountaindale house and grounds - it is from a book called "blidworth in old picture postcards" put together by a local blidworth resident called Will Richards in 1986.
This is the caption to the picture:
"An aerial view of fountaindale as it looked about 1925. For many years the house was owned and occupied by Mr and Mrs Tom Shipside, and the surrounding well-kept grounds were well-known to local people because garden parties for deserving causes were often held there. Beyond the house the Fish Lake can be seen- one of the three lakes in the grounds fed by Rainworth Water near its source. Beyond, the lake part of The Moat can be seen, and Friar Tuck is said to have lived on the grounds enclosed by The Moat. Friar Tuck's well is just downstream of the lowest of the three lakes.
In the top left-hand corner of the picture is the old coach road which lran from Black scotch lane(the scottish drovers' road) into the courtyard at the back of the house.
The coach-road on the left went to the ornamental gates near Bessie sheppard's stone. During the 1926 strike, schoolchildren walked from blidworth to be entertained to tea on the circular lawn"
Will Richards is active in the local blidworth community so you may be able to find a contact for him to see if he has further information.
I hope the information is of some use, Caz,
p.s. i live in rainworth which is close to fountain dale and i believe the house to still be standing but i will try to verify this. :)
Harris, Fretwell,whitehead, fareham, bullock, wellman/wellmann, orgill, brownlow

Offline cybrgran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 March 05 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Dear Caz
Thank you so much for all that information. Someone else very kindly sent me a photograph of the house in the 1960's whenit was for sale. I have been told that it is now converted into three apartments.
Would it be possible for you to email me a scan of the photograph?. Also is the book still in print?

Regards....................Sylvia
SMITH - Notts.
Johnston Armagh
Maguire Co Cavan
Millen London
Smith Liverpool
Stenhouse Fife

Offline cybrgran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 March 05 12:31 GMT (UK) »
It's OK Caz I have just downloaded the photo, didn't realise I could do that! You learn something every day!!
Would still like to know if the book is still available. If you could let me have the ISBN number I might be able to borrow it from the library.
Regards..................Sylvia
SMITH - Notts.
Johnston Armagh
Maguire Co Cavan
Millen London
Smith Liverpool
Stenhouse Fife

Offline purple caz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 March 05 12:40 GMT (UK) »
i dont think the book is still in print, but i may be wrong. the book no. is ISBN 90 288 3355 2/CIP,
Harris, Fretwell,whitehead, fareham, bullock, wellman/wellmann, orgill, brownlow

Offline purple caz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 March 05 12:59 GMT (UK) »
i ahve found will richard's address from his latter book "good old blidworth" (which is mostly text and a few pictures). He corresponds regularly to the local paper - the mansfield "chad" although this may be with snail mail and not email!
 The chads website is - http://www.mansfieldtoday.co.uk/

Offline purple caz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 March 05 13:01 GMT (UK) »
 :-X