Author Topic: Fountain Dale near Blidworth  (Read 33839 times)

Offline ren32

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fountain Dale near Blidworth
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 08 April 18 20:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much .so very interesting to me.

Offline Victoria Hayton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 04 April 20 14:24 BST (UK) »
I’m coming to this chat very, very late but I’ve only just found it! I’m a Shipside, it was my maiden name and although I know very little about our family history, I am trying to find out more. Tom Shipside was my parents best man at their wedding and I know my father (Harold Shipside) was very close to him. They stayed at Fountaindale on many occasions and so did my Uncle (Phil Shipside) and Aunt. The garages you refer to in Nottingham and Newark were all the same family and the family also had lots of smaller filling stations in and around the Nottinghamshire area. I’d love to know more about the house, I was told that there was also a connection to Lambley Hall and family connections to Oxton village. My sister and I are using the Corona virus lock down to try and piece all the information together and find out more about our family. Any information would be very welcome. Vikki

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 06 April 20 10:27 BST (UK) »
Welcome Victoria, have you found Harold on the 1939 register? He is living in a house called Breedon on Mansfield Rd, Worksop, with his parents Bert W a garage Proprieter ( master) Sarah E presumably his mother and himself born 30 Oct 1918 a motor mechanic.

Marriage Sept 1907 Derby
Bertie Whitby Shipside and Sarah Ellen Mozley.

Births Dec 1913 Basford Philip Shipside mothers maiden name Mosley
Dec 1918 Harold Shipside mothers maiden name Mosley.

Bertie Whitby Shipside birth reg.Mar 1885 7b/408 Nottingham. No mothers maiden name, which indicates he was illegitimate. You would need his birth certificate to find his mother. I cannot see a baptism for him. Hope this helps.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Robert Goldsmith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 08 August 21 13:04 BST (UK) »
My father, known as Bob Goldsmith, moved to Arnold in 1939 ao become "Service Manager" of T Shipside Ltd. in Lower Parliament Street. He stayed in that position until 12961 when the Shipside family sold the business to Rank-Locomotors.
My father had an excellent relationship with all the family: Shipsides, Hopkins and Adams, who lived around Oxton, and Calverton. I also have brief but wonderful memories of going to Fountain Dale and I seem to remember sitting in an old plane that Tom Shipside owned in a nearby (air)field.
The Shipside family were kind enough to purchase a house in Wollaton for which my parents were charged a small rent but when the business was sold in 1961, they gave my parents the house FOC. My sister still live there.
I have a copy of "I Lived in a Village" and recognise all in the photo in it despite the passing years.
I also have some photos of the building and petrol station next door, together witht the bill of sale for my parents' first car, a Wolseley 10 reg. EVO 721, purchased for £140/-/- from Shipsides.