Author Topic: The Rossiters Of Kilworth, Cork  (Read 3517 times)

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
The Rossiters Of Kilworth, Cork
« on: Friday 14 January 05 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find information about the Rossiter family in Kilworth, Cork.

I believe that one of the Rossiters married Margaret Wall, daughter of Patrick and Mary Wall. She was born in Kilworth about 1829.

They got married about 1852 and had at least two children:-

Elizabeth Catherine Rossiter born July 30th 1853
Helen Rossiter born December 2nd 1855

What happens next is unclear. Either the whole family moved to India and Margaret's husband died or he died in Kilworth and Margaret and the two children emigrated to India.

Either way on November 19th 1859 Margaret married William Howard in India.

Any information about the Rossiter's of Kilworth or about Margaret's first husband would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

besy wishes

rcuser
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline Leofric

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Rossiters Of Kilworth, Cork
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 January 05 21:52 GMT (UK) »
rcuser,

You have probably checked this already but.....Patrick Wall is shown as living in Main Street, Kilworth during the Griffiths Valuation.

But no sign of any Rossiters. There was a large army barracks in Kilworth at the time, read about it at:
http://www.alphalink.com.au/~datatree/wolf%2004.htm

Could Rossiter have been a soldier? Why else would the family have gone to India? Did Margeret Wall marry another soldier in India? His occupation would have been on their marriage cert.

Best of luck

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
Re: The Rossiters Of Kilworth, Cork
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 January 05 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Leofric,

Thanks for your help. It's possible that Margaret's first husband was a soldier but I have no direct evidence of this.

She did marry a soldier in India in 1859 but his name was William Howard, who was a pay sergeant with the Bengal Artilllery. She was married in the name Margaret Rossiter.

Unfortunately, there was no information about her first husband or  indeed her marriage. I have no certificates to work from just the small amount of information which I supplied.

Thanks again for trying.

best wishes

rcuser
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families