Author Topic: Shropshire Census CDs  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Shropshire Census CDs
« on: Friday 14 January 05 19:37 GMT (UK) »
I can access the 1871-1901 census returns on line, are there any CDs of transcripts or images available for 1841 1851 and 1861 and if so where can they be purchased from?

Offline Paul J Ballard

• RootsChat Member
  • www.paul-ballard.com for UK Ballard Genealogy
    • View Profile
Re: Shropshire Census CDs
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 January 05 20:24 GMT (UK) »
None currently available but Archive CD Books have 1841 and 1861 due out. Check http://www.rod-neep.co.uk/acatalog/sal-census.html

Ballard in UK all locations and dates.
Other lines of interest - Wills, Bishop, Samuels, Dunnell, Easey, Wes(t)comb(e), Richarson, Jarvis, Mathews, Stoneham, Jarvis, Ingram, Edwards, Catt, Moore, Lintott, Tee, Lee, Phillips, Davies, Drew, and a few more!

Offline Janed

• I am sorry but my email address has stopped working please contact support for help
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 January 05 03:29 GMT (UK) »
Unrelated to the original question but do I understand from your post that it is possible to access the 1871 Shropshire census on line?

If so where?

Thanks for reading this

Jane

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 January 05 05:24 GMT (UK) »
I have a subscription to ancestry.co.uk which includes most of the England and Wales census returns for 1871, 1881 and 1891 and quite a few for 1901.

The site has an index (which leaves a lot to be desired) and links to images of the actual census documents.

It is quite expensive to get a subscription (about £90 per year I think)

There are ways to access the site for less

You can get a trial subscription for free - it lasts 14 days - but you MUST give credit card details in order to get the free trial - and if you don't cancel within 10 (not 14) days you will be charged for a whole subscription year - worth doing if you have lots of time to use your trial time in and remember to cancel in time!

For a free trial subscription type "Ancestry UK Free Trial" into Google or any good search engine for current links.

If you want a full year's subscription e-mail

support@ancestry.com

and send them a useless CV offering to work for them.

They will refuse your offer but give you a 50% discount on a subscription for your effort (or - at least they use to, they gave me one four years ago which I still use - they may have caught on to the scam by now)

Alternatively, of course, there are hundreds of members of Rootschat who have access to Ancestry, who more than willing to do lookups, so just ask on this board.

Messages starting "1871 / 1891 lookup" etc are usually answered within 15 minutes of the request. Requests for earlier census lookups often go unanswered.

Offline Janed

• I am sorry but my email address has stopped working please contact support for help
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 January 05 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your very informative reply. I have always been rather wary of signing up to Ancestry but perhaps the 14 day trial might be a good idea if I monitor things carefully. I would need an incident free 10 days though!!!

Once again many thanks

Offline wonkiewidge

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 January 05 17:01 GMT (UK) »
You can obtain copies of the 1851 census for Shropshire from Gordon W. Beavington in Canada for £15.

The one thing I would say is that the vertical edges have been cut off the images. Most of the detail is there though (folio and partial abode missing on some).

He has a web site:   http://www.mycensuses.com

Hope this helps,

Linda
London & Middlesex
Clement, England, Record, Pittman, Reeve, Crane, Mulvey, Jones, Elliott, Nailor,

Shropshire/ Herefordshire
Humphries/reys, Howells, Hodnet, Medlicott, Prince, Coulton/Colton/Brecknock,

Gloucestershire - Bristol ....... Surname  'England'

Kent
Gullock

Suffolk
Battram, Langley, Becraft/Becroft

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cfmshrops

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 January 05 19:08 GMT (UK) »
It seems 1841 is now available from Stepping Stones

http://www.stepping-stones.co.uk/

:) :) C
Kearns-Shropshire,Staffordshire and Dublin.
Swann -  Bolsover, Heanor, Notts/Derbyshire
Pugh - Shrewsbury,Shropshire
Stone - Quarndon, Derbyshire.

Offline philjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 April 05 13:12 BST (UK) »
If you are in the London area, you can view the Ancestry versions of the  1871, 1881 and 1891 census for free via the computers in the Family Records Centre or The National Archives, Kew.

Jeremy