Author Topic: Grant of Grant's Green near Elgin  (Read 7747 times)

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Grant of Grant's Green near Elgin
« on: Thursday 03 April 08 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have been looking for the birth of Lewis Anderson for ages and now I found him in a Baptist Magazine which says that he was the 4th son of James Anderson, born in 1783 in Kinnedar.  The Anderson were farmers in Kinnedar and his ancestors had been living there for several generations.

I know from a MI that the father of James was Leonard and his other Marjorie Sutherland, but they too are elusive. A Leonard Anderson married a Katharine Sutherland, but I can't believe that the descendants got the name of the grandmother wrong.

Anyway, I now found in this Baptist magazine that the wife of James and mother of Lewis is a descendant of the Grants of Grant's Green near Elgin. I can't find the marriage of any James Anderson and a female Grant in Kinnedar or Elgin anywhere.

Does anyone know which Grants the magazine is referring to?

Greenvalley
ANDERSON: Moray & Jamaica
ELDER: Stirlingshire, Perthshire & Glasgow
WILSON: Glenisla, Alyth & Dundee
GRANT & ATKINSON:Northumberland
HARRIS: Dron and Glasgow
MATSON: Glasgow and Belfast
OLIVER, HARDY & GIBSON: Ireland, Antrim Belfast
TODD: England and Jamaica
McGRIGOR, McILCHONNEL: Perthshire

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grant of Grant's Green near Elgin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 01:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Greenvalley,

You may find that the Grant link was on the maternal line of James's wife.

You might find more information here: http://www.vividsystems.co.uk/sgr2/publics.htm
The Lands And People Of Moray   BRUCE B BISHOP FSA Scot.

There are certainly several publications which could cover the area, you might get lucky.

Edit:

Looking at Libindx for something else i just came across this:

NM013094
JEAN "JANE" ANDERSON (nee SUTHERLAND)
04 JUL 1794 to 07 JUN 1881

Date of Birth : 04 JUL 1794
Place of Birth : DUFFUS
Spouse's Name : LEWIS ANDERSON MERCHANT ELGIN
Date of Marriage : 19 JUL 1814
Place of Marriage : ROSEVALLEY DUFFUS
Headstone Ref : Ki359
Date of Death : 07 JUN 1881
Place of Death : OAKBANK ELGIN

I hope this might help you.

Good hunting!

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 16:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kirsty,

I did have the information on Jean Sutherland and her family. The one I'm trying to find would be her mother-in-law, the mother of her husband Lewis.

It is so infuriating that I find these little nuggets, text from an MI, article in Baptist magazne and yet I cannot find James Anderson or his wife who I assume to be a Grant.

There are quite a number of sites out there mentioning Lewis and they all give the wrong information.  They all say he was born 1773 as the son of James Anderson and Margaret Baird and then say that James' father was also a James Anderosn.

But Lewis was born about 1783 as the 4th son of James Anderson, farmer in Kinnedar, and grandson of Leonard Anderson, also farmer in Kinnedar. But this birth is nowhere registered and neither are the marriages  ???

Ah well, will have a look at the booklets you mentioned, see if they shed an more light on the mystery.

They're not even a main line, I just hate the inconsistencies  ::)

Greenvalley

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 May 08 23:51 BST (UK) »
libindx has some more info...

Reference No.:NM018394
name: LEONARD ANDERSON
    FARMER
    WORKED AT KINNEDDAR
Spouse MARJORY SUTHERLAND
    PARENTS OF JAMES ANDERSON

all listed below are buried (in same plot??) Headstone Ref : Ki359 - where "Ki" means - Kinneddar cemetery (apologies if you already knew this...)

NM013094
JEAN "JANE" ANDERSON (nee SUTHERLAND)
04 JUL 1794 to 07 JUN 1881

NM018406
LEWIS ANDERSON
c. 1782 to 04 DEC 1849

NM018394
LEONARD ANDERSON
? to ?

NM181553
MARJORY ANDERSON (nee SUTHERLAND)
? to ?

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 May 08 12:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mclennan,

I had missed that entry. At least it confirms that they didn't get Marjory's name wrong.  8) I might contact the people in Elgin again, perhaps they have some more information on this couple.

Pity that they don't say more about James, or his wife but I guess I should be grateful for any nugget.

Greenvalley

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 July 08 16:46 BST (UK) »
hi again, just found a website i haven't seen before and they may be able to provide you with some more information and an inscription from the headstone.

http://www.mbgrg.org/ancestor_intro.shtml

they are a group called moray burial ground research group and your family plot as mentioned in my previous post was at Kinneddar.

this website shows that the following names are all on the same headstone:

Stone No   Surname     Forenames      Maiden Surname      Death Year      Comments
359              Anderson    Leonard                          -                    -                     -
359              Anderson    Marjory                  Sutherland            -                     -
359            Anderson    James                          -                    -         Erected by (1829)
359              Anderson    Lewis                          -                 1849                     -
359            Anderson    Jane                  Sutherland         1881                     -

hope they can help you some more...

kind regards,
Lorna.

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 July 08 20:13 BST (UK) »
thank you Lorna,

yes, this is the information I have found as well. And it is the right family. Problem is that they only appear on this headstone, but that I can't find a birth for James or a marriage for Leonard and Marjory.  :-[

There is a marriage that could fit, but the woman's name is Katherine Sutherland, but not Marjory??? ???

The people in Elgin suggested that they may have been catholics so not be in the parish registers. But they weren't. James was a Baptist and I assume that they will have been in the normal parish registers.

So somewhere there was another Leonard Anderson, farmer in Kinnedar, who married Katherine Sutherland. At about the ame time as my Leonard Anderson, farmer in Kinnedar married Marjory Anderson. Very confusing if you ask me.

Thanks for your help though

Greenvalley

Offline Kgray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 December 15 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greenvalley,
I've been researching the Grants of Grantsgreen for a while now and here's what I've found.
The last Grant of Grantsgreen was Robert Grant who sold the estate of Grantsgreen in 1791 to James Coull, physician in London, who renamed it to Ashgrove. There is an Ashgrove Rd in Elgin so this is probably where the estate lay. It was a small estate having a bleach field used for making linen.
Robert's father was William Grant, merchant and factor to the Earl of Seafield, he also leased the estate of Auchinroath near Rothes for sometime.
William Grant's father was Robert Grant, merchant and baillie in Elgin, and also factor to the Earl of Seafield. William's elder brother was Robert Grant, Minister of Rothes and then Cullen.
Robert Grant the baillie also seems to have been known as John Grant as there is a tombstone in the Elgin Cathedral displaying a John Grant with the same spouse (Janet Paul), death place (Grantsgreen) and matching the same timeframe of Robert.
The tombstone records that John (Robert) was born in Ringorum (Ringorm near Aberlour). There is a line of Ringorum\Nether Glen Grants descended from the Carron Grants, who were in turn descended from the 1st Laird of Glenmoriston, who was in turn the son of John Grant the 2nd of Freuchie and Chief of Clan Grant.

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 January 16 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi KGray

Thank you for that information, I will have a look at it and see what I can find. Did you happen to find any female Grants who could have become the wife of James Anderson? Their son Lewis was born in 1783The fact that the Grants were factors to the Earl of Seafield is interesting I seem to remember that there were some factors to the Earl of Fife.

Greenvalley