Author Topic: Grant of Grant's Green near Elgin  (Read 7724 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Grant of Grant's Green near Elgin
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 January 16 19:09 GMT (UK) »
I note with interest that the Statistical Account of Elgin (1791-1799) mentions Seceders, Episcopalians, Roman Catholics and Methodists, but not Baptists. What is the evidence for the Grants being Baptists?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 January 16 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

I'm a bit under the weather so can't get the information, but there are several references for Lewis Anderson being a baptist, he even helped to finance the church.

Greenvalley
ANDERSON: Moray & Jamaica
ELDER: Stirlingshire, Perthshire & Glasgow
WILSON: Glenisla, Alyth & Dundee
GRANT & ATKINSON:Northumberland
HARRIS: Dron and Glasgow
MATSON: Glasgow and Belfast
OLIVER, HARDY & GIBSON: Ireland, Antrim Belfast
TODD: England and Jamaica
McGRIGOR, McILCHONNEL: Perthshire

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 January 16 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Fine, as long as you have solid references. Just seems odd that the C of S minister didn't seem to know there were Baptists in his parish.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 February 16 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

I found one of the publications again: Landmarkbaptist,org which mentions that round about 1818 Lewis Anderson together with Alexander Urquhart and John Botchen purchased a hall that could seat 200. This donation is mentioned in other publications as well, which I don't have at present.

I don't know when Lewis became a Baptist, or if his father was one. The children of Lewis' son, Eric Anderson, were all baptized as babies, so it appears that Eric and his wife Agnes Wilson weren't Baptists. 

All very confusing this not knowing when he converted and if for instance his elusive father James Anderson was a Baptist as well. Seems unlikely since, as you said, the Statistical Records of 1791 don't mention Baptists in Elgin.

Greenvalley

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 February 16 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Interesting.

Maybe they were Baptists but still had the baptisms recorded by the Church of Scotland? This is what was supposed to happen, and even occasionally did.

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 February 16 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

Had another look at the marriage of Lewis Anderson and Jean Sutherland in 1814 and it mentions that they were married by the Rev Hugh Buchan of the Scots Episcopal Congregation.

The birth of their only son is registered as follows on 23 December 1818: Lewis Anderson, merchant in Elgin, and his spouse Jane Sutherland had a child born called Erick. God father Erick Sutherland God mother  Mrs Kelly. This entry is at the bottom of the page, almost as a late addition. So would this mean that they are Baptists? Do Baptist children get god parents from birth?

Getting more confused now.

Greenvalley

Offline Kgray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 March 16 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greenvalley,

I know that Robert Grant (I'll call him the 1st of Grantsgreen) had the following daughters -
Janet b.1723, Ann b.1725, Magdalen b. 1727, Jean b. 1730, Margaret b. 1735. They would all appear to be a touch to old to have a son in 1783.
Robert Grant the Minister of Cullen had the following daughters -
Elspet b. 1763, Mary b.1766 (but she married Alexander Gray), Jannet b. 1777. Elspet could be a possibility but she was born in Cullen and may have never resided in Elgin, and also if Lewis was a 4th son this would make her too young.
William Grant (2nd of Grantsgreen) had one daughter that I know of - Margaret Grant, but she married William Airth.
No obvious candidates, it might be that Lewis Anderson's mother was a Grant on her mother's side (one of the 1st of Grantsgreen's daughters?), so her surname wouldn't be Grant.

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 March 16 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kgray

Thank you very much for all that information.

Lewis wasn't the 4th son (that applies to his father James) as a matter of fact he was an only child as far as I know.

I reckon we may never find out who this Miss Grant was and as mentioned at the start of this thread, I lost the copy which mentioned that James Anderson was married to a Miss Grant. I'll keep looking though and let you know when/if I fond anything.

Greenvalley