Author Topic: Marriage William Dunn Barbara Thomson 1801 St.Nicholas, Aberdeen.  (Read 11092 times)

Offline weejock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage William Dunn Barbara Thomson 1801 St.Nicholas, Aberdeen.
« on: Saturday 05 April 08 16:01 BST (UK) »
I am in need of assistance with this marriage. I have hit a brick wall and don't know what else I can do.

They are in the OPR as 1801 St. Nicholas's Church. The parents of Barbara are listed but there is no reference to any details on William and this is the wall I have hit. I am trying to locate Williams line to the Dunn Family but I have been told it could also be Dun due to variants in spelling and errors being made on ocassion. The whole area of Aberdeen seems to be rife with Dun/Dunn(s) so this wall has me going in circles. I'm not quite sure if this is the BANS being posted in the brides church or the actual ceremony date.

Any assistance in pinning down Williams family would be great, I'msure there are enough Dunn's out there based on the site at http://www.dun.org.uk as it shows them to be well established for a substantial time period.

Thanks in advance,

WeeJock
Dunn, Drennan, Carrigan, Kerrigan, langmuir, MacKewan , McEwan , McGowan , Mead and a few others to boot.

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage William Dunn Barbara Thomson 1801 St.Nicholas, Aberdeen.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Wee Jock,

Have the couple managed to survive until 1851? You might find them on the census and with luck have Williams POB.

Good luck,

Grothenwell
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline weejock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 14:16 BST (UK) »
No problem tracing them after the marriage, they moved down to Glasgow. The information that I need is going back to William's father. Barbara's parental information is listed but not a thing on William. Getting back from that point is the wall I have hit. If I can get his father's name ( with some certainty ) the OPR will,  I hope, be sufficient enough to make a connection from that point back ( I think I have them in Lonmay if my guess is correct ) but what I need is someone to pinpoint William's Father and that's the info I can't find ( well at least not with some doubts ). Hopefully it's recorded somewhere in St. Nicholas' church other than the entry I found which seem to be the BANS.

Thanks for the contact though, nice to know someone read the post.

Weejock.
Dunn, Drennan, Carrigan, Kerrigan, langmuir, MacKewan , McEwan , McGowan , Mead and a few others to boot.

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 17:28 BST (UK) »
Wee Jock,

The 1851 census should have his place of birth; that might make finding the old parish record of his birth and therefore his parents easier to find.

Grothenwell
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline weejock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 17:37 BST (UK) »
Gone scurrying upstairs to see whats on the entry I have. I can't remember what the cert was that I have right off the top of my head,  I think it was a birth registry for their child.

Offline weejock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 18:26 BST (UK) »
Okay, here's what I have on their Son Arthur. and it's all I had to go on to find them. Hence the brick wall after searching for a marriage between a William Dunn and Barbara Thomson based upon the marriage information of arthur shown below.

You may well be dead on with this suggestion as the time period between is a wee bit sketchy.

It's the marriage register entry. Shows as follows ... Burgh of Glasgow .
AND SURPRISE SURPRISE, looks like a 2nd marriage , have nothing on the 1st. which may well hold the secret. ( UPDATE : just  found a marriage between a Martha Allan and Arthur Dunn 1839 Gorbals Glasgow. listed in the OPR ) Still can't confirm it as the correct Arthur though but probably a best guess at this time.

Marriage on June 8 1860

Arthur Dunn, Bookbinder WIDOWER age 42. Living at Renfield st. Glasgow Parents William and Barbara both deceased.

Marriage to :

Martha Wilson , Spinster age 30, living at Castle St. Glasgow.

Parents: John Wilson Deceased, Mothers name Janet Wilson, maiden name Dalglish.

I now go to the 1881 Census which shows Martha only living at 51 Castle St. age 50 but no sign of Arthur. ( deceased maybe )

I am missing the 1861 and 1851 census but in 1841 I have the following:

Arthur Dunn age 20 living at south pettigrew st.  also listed is a Ann Dunn age 15, I wonder if she is maybe a cousin or could she be a sister. I can't find her using the OPR system.

Also in the 1841 is a Barbra Dunn Age 20 at 128 Saltmarket St. Glasgow.

What is the tie-in to this Barbra...Well  William's wife in 1801 is also listed as a Barbra as opposed to Barbara and somewhere along the line my cousin thought there was a tie he had found between them.

If anyone can use this and get a link or some better info between the 1841 and 1860 marriage I'd be very greatful. That might be the way I have to go to find additional info on William's father that seems to be missing from the 1801 marriage to Barbara

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Wee Jock,

Have you tried to see if you can find William and Barbara in the 1841 census on freecen? That might help you trace them on Scotlandspeople in the 1851 census. If they died between 1855 and 1860 you should find their death certs also on Scotlandspeople.

Good luck,

Grothenwell
Caithness; Sutherland

Offline weejock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 18:59 BST (UK) »
Never heard of Freecen..... Is it a common site if I use google or do you have a link you could supply to point me in the right direction.

Offline weejock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 19:19 BST (UK) »
Just found the freecen thanks. Not much luck though, could be I'm just not using it properly. Still new at this whole thing.