Author Topic: Marriage William Dunn Barbara Thomson 1801 St.Nicholas, Aberdeen.  (Read 11084 times)

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage William Dunn Barbara Thomson 1801 St.Nicholas, Aberdeen.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 01:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Wee Jock,

There is a submitted entry on the IGI ( http://www.familysearch.org) for Arthur Dunn, which suggests he died in 1877, if that is the case his death cert should be available from Scotlands People.
There is also an Extracted entry there for Barbara Dun b 1820 Gorbals to William Dunn and Barbara Thomson , so she is his sister.

Looking at the IGI, Arthur and Martha Wilson had a few children in the 1860s, they might have used their grandparents names which could give you clues and help you narrow down possible parents for William.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 01:31 BST (UK) »
I can only see 1 christening record for them 19 yrs after the marriage which is strange

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Wee Jock

Looks as though this one will remain a mystery?

2 children born to the couple - well according to the IGI.  Looked at this yesterday and went away hoping others would find out more.

Barbara Dun b. 02 Oct 1820 ch. 08 Oct , Gorbals Lanark (extracted)
Arthur Dunn b.  abt 1818 - Glasgow Lanark (married Martha Wilson abt.1855 D.  30 Oct 1877 (submitted).

Unless there is a will on SP, or a page from a family bible turns up, the brickwall has I fear been hit - although Kirsty G's  suggestion is a possibilty and would help you narrow down options..... 

Good luck.   Steve   :O)

Offline weejock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 18:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all of you for the efforts and suggestions you have made. I really do have a number of questions on this marriage that will remain unanswered by the looks of it. ( even though I managed to get it down to Church of Ease for marriage ) I went to see if there was a chance of something being found in the IGI and went through all of Aberdeen ( all the counties listed ) for the time period covering 1801 and was amazed that when I searched under the marriages I could find " NOTHING " for either William Dunn or Barbara Thomson when using their surnames.

Either I am under a massive cloud of confusion or there's a skeleton in someone's cupboard whose really tying to put me off on this search. I'm not sure if I can even find a death notice for William that could set me off on an age to look for. Too bad they didn't have a telephone directory then. I could just look him up and give him a call and ask what the hell he's playing at. with all this mystery. ( must think he's James Bond or something.)  ;)
Dunn, Drennan, Carrigan, Kerrigan, langmuir, MacKewan , McEwan , McGowan , Mead and a few others to boot.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 21:47 BST (UK) »
On Arthurs death record it gives his deceased fathers occupation as shoemaker.

I cant see any William/Barbara combinations of the right age on any census

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 22:17 BST (UK) »
On the 1841 census there is a 20 yr old Barbara living with Helen Timson and Mary Donovan at Galt Street Glasgow in the Parish of St Marys

Offline weejock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 April 08 13:51 BST (UK) »
On the 1841 census there is a 20 yr old Barbara living with Helen Timson and Mary Donovan at Galt Street Glasgow in the Parish of St Marys

Now that's a new one..... Hmmm!   I have an entry in 1841 also showing Barbra age 20 living at Salt market St. Glasgow.   Now what? ::) :-\
Dunn, Drennan, Carrigan, Kerrigan, langmuir, MacKewan , McEwan , McGowan , Mead and a few others to boot.

Offline weejock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 April 08 13:55 BST (UK) »
On Arthurs death record it gives his deceased fathers occupation as shoemaker.

I cant see any William/Barbara combinations of the right age on any census

You are correct, after the marriage it's as if they fall off the face of the earth for 19 years, with nothing to say where they have been since the marriage. They suddenly show up in Glasgow with Arthur and Barbara 1818- 20 and then fall off again, talk about keeping a low profile....seems strange they had gone so long without children and then suddenly they have two in a short period of time. I'm begining to wonder if they may have had children earlier who have died and handling the loss may have been cause for moving to Glasgow to make a new start.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 April 08 14:59 BST (UK) »
Have you viewed the actual OPR christening record for Barbara to see if it gives any other info?