Author Topic: Bray, Co. Wicklow - Murphy  (Read 17403 times)

Offline murphykieran

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bray, Co. Wicklow - Murphy
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 October 15 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi my names kieran murphy my grandfather was patrick joseph murphy I'm not sure if he was named after his father or grandfather but he was from co.wicklow..he told me once there family had the nickname gally because there was so many murphys..I know a few of his siblings, william, brendan, brian he has sisters but I never got the chance to know there names..is he any relation to your patrick joseph murphy.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 October 15 11:02 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat murphykieran

It is a couple of years since this topic was started and the contributors have also not been online for a while - they will however receive a notification of your post if they still have active email addresses.

This site does not allow references to the living or potentially living,
but if the people to whom you refer were born over 100 years ago, or are deceased,
if you include approx dates for significant events, births, marriages, etc. a lookup could be done for you.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Ajfm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 September 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if this thread is still active.

William Murphy, brother of Patrick Joseph, was my paternal grandfather.
He married Margaret Kelly, also of Bray, in 1913. They had an only child, John, my father, in 1914 (d. 1980). William died in 1916, when my father was just 2 years old. In turn I'm an only child, so the line was at some risk!

I remember visiting the Sidmonton Avenue  Murphys when I was very young - back in the mid 1960s. There were two rather grand old ladies there but I'm afraid I can't recall their first names.

My father John and his mother Margaret are buried in St Peters in Bray.

I can't find William's burial place. He died at the Meath hospital in Dublin with TB it seems. Any information on his burial place would be welcome.

In any event, I know of no living relatives on my father's side at all, and would be delighted to know of any of the people on this chain.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 September 17 14:11 BST (UK) »

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 September 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Ajfm

Welcome to RootsChat;

It is a couple of extra years since murphykieran joined back in Oct 2015 and I then commented that it was a couple of years since this topic was started and the contributors had also not been online for a while - they will however receive a notification of your post if they still have active email addresses.

Murphy0507 commented previously "I believe my great-uncle James married Anastasia and had at least 3 daughters, Sadie, Kathleen and Peggy." I wonder are these the ladies that you remember meeting!

I have no connection to the family but have relatives also buried in St. Peter's in Little Bray
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 September 17 21:12 BST (UK) »
I'm sure that you have probably had a look but FTR

1901 census shows John and Kate MURPHY with seven children at
house 4 in Ravenswell Row (Bray Town, Wicklow) - LINK

1911 John and Kate MURPHY with six children at
10 in Park Road (Bray No.1, Wicklow) - LINK
states married 37 years and had 12 children of which 10 were still alive

1875 James
1876 John
1878 Catherine m. Arthur MOYNA Oct 18 1899
1879 Winnifred m Henry/Harry BAGNALL Jun 12 1906
1881 Margaret (1) d. before 1889
1883 Thomas m. Elizabeth FitzGERALD Sept 09 1916
1884 William m. Margaret KELLY Apr 23 1913
1886 Elizabeth m. John ROCHFORD Nov 12 1907
1888 Patrick Joseph m. Agnes COTTER Sept 30 1925
          - Agnes remarried Thomas HOLLAND Jun 05 1939
1889 Margaret (2)
1891 Mary Alice
plus one other that died before 1911
Further generations:

Offline Ajfm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 September 17 00:25 BST (UK) »
This is very helpful - I had seen the census data with the direct descendants, but didn't have so many marriage details.

You will have gathered from my original post that as an only child of an only child, and with my father never knowing his father because the latter died so young, there was little collective memory in my family of the ancestors.

I just recently managed to trace my grandfather's line using the civil records and the two census databases, so this is all quite new to me. I don't get back often to Ireland often and do have not had a chance to get to offline materials or parish records.

I'm pretty certain that Sadie was one of the two grand dames!

Many thanks for the reply.

Anthony Murphy

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 September 17 09:44 BST (UK) »
These sites should be of help if you wish to look further and are free

www.irishgenealogy.ie which has civil records and some church records

http://registers.nli.ie/ which has all the Catholic church records that are at the National Archive
This is for various years depending on the church and what survived and was passed on
Unfortunately it doesn't have a search facility but if you find a birth record you can look around that date for a baptism - baptisms sometimes show a record of marriage also

e.g.
Thomas born Jan 05 1883 Civil record LINK #392

He was baptised on February 11 1883 in Bray - LINK #1454
This shows his date of birth as February 05 1883 which is probably more correct and that he married Elizabeth FitzGERALD on Sept 09 1916 in that church.  Not all marriages were recorded but it is helpful when you find them!

Marriage record - LINK #189

in case you catch the research bug!
Further generations:

Offline sparksss67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 September 17 23:06 BST (UK) »

I am not related to this Murphy family but have been working on their family tree because of a political connection to my family.
The two sisters in Sidmonton Avenue were most likely Margaret d 1992 and Sara (Sadie) d1987. Their parents were James Murphy 1875-1938 and Anastasia Doyle 1876-1951. James was a Railway carpenter and was Vice Chairman of Bray Urban Council when he died.

William Murphy from 11 Lauderdale Bray was a railway ticket collector. He died in the Meath Hospital on the 5th of September 1916.  His  funeral mass was held in the Holy Redeemer Church, Bray on the 8th .  He is most likely buried in St Peter's Graveyard Bray.
Murphy, Broe, Canavan, Acton, Byrne - Wicklow.
Murray - Castlepollard
Murphy - Enfield
Redmond - Ballygarret