Author Topic: McGovern and Berry in Killanny  (Read 11966 times)

Offline busymother

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McGovern and Berry in Killanny
« on: Sunday 06 April 08 09:30 BST (UK) »
HI - I have been stuck looking for this family for some years.........

Anyway, I am going over to Dublin soon and will be looking at the RC parish records to help throw some light on this family.

William McGovern married Alice Berry in Killanny, Co Monaghan in 1842. This info is from a child's birth certicate in Scotland.
The same source lists Alice's birthplace as Killanny in 1825. Her parents names are James Berry and Margaret Burk.

I think I need to look at the parish records for Carrickmacross - but I have also seen some references to this parish also being in County Louth - so advice on this would be welcome.

William McGovern is more of a puzzle. He was born in 1823 in France, where his father was a serving soldier. William may also have a sister Mary, born in France also in 1816.
William's father's name was Patrick McGovern, married to Elizabeth Dolan. I have looked at a lot of disharge papers from the National Archives in Kew - but cannot find any references to Patrick, or any record anywhere of William's birth - so any ideas welcome there too!

Thanks,

Marie
helford, feehilly, muldowney, evers

Offline Pádraigín

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McGovern and Berry in Killanny
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 July 08 16:34 BST (UK) »
I too am looking for my roots.   My gg grandfather was William McGovern - maried Alice Berry (or Berrie).   William's Father was Patrick McGovern (soldier) who was married to Elizabeth Dolan.   Patrick McGovern (my g grandfather) was the son of William and married Isabella Hutchison in Scotland in 1869.   Alice McGovern (nee Berry) - her parents were James Berry and Margaret Berry (nee Burk).   Alice died in Scotland on 13/8/1862.   I am happy to give you more information if you think there is a connection.

Pádraigín

Offline Pádraigín

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 July 08 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie - thanks for your e-mail.   My sister has just visited GRO in Edinburgh.  This is what we have:  Patrick McGovern (soldier) married Elizabeth Dolan.   William McGovern (son) married Alice Berry whose parents were Margaret Burk and James Berry.   He was widowed and married Bridget McGuire.   William died in 1883.   William's son, Patrick McGovern married Isabella Hutchison on 15.2.1869 in St Ignatius' RC Church, Wishaw (I have copy of marriage certificate).   Patrick too became a widower and his death was registered by his son Patrick McGovern.   Patrick had 6 children:  Patrick (or Peter?), Sydney, William, Alice, Isabella and Jessie.   They lived in Hamilton, Scotland.   Patrick (or Peter) married Georgina Anderson : he had two children from his first marriage and she had two.  They then had Sydney McGovern Berry, Peter Snedden Berry, Edward Berry, Joseph Berry, Grace Snedden Berry.  (Note the change of name from McGovern to Berry).  My sister will go back to GRO to find out more if she can about Patrick McGovern, soldier, and Elizabeth Dolan.   Do you reside in the UK?   Keep in touch.

Pádraigín

Offline Pádraigín

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie

I have drawn up a family tree gathering all the information we both have.   From the GRO, I have William McGovern's birth date as 1831 and Alice Berrie's as 1827.   Patrick McGovern, born 1828, died 1886 appears to have been William's brother.   I intend to follow up info on Bridget McGuire.   These dates are conflicting with some of yours.   Can you give me more information about the marriage of Patrick and Elizabeth Dolan?   Also, Patrick McGovern, married to Isabella Hutchison - his death was registered by his "son" Patrick.   I have no knowledge of Patrick having a son Patrick - could it have been Peter?   Peter McGovern Berry (died 1917) married Fanny Wilson and had two sons, John and William.   He married for the second time - Georgina Snedden or Anderson - she had two daughters Elizabeth and Robina.   They then went on to have 5 children, Sydney, Peter, Edward, Joseph and Grace.       I am going up to the GRO next week - is there anything you want me to investigate?

Kind regards

Patricia

Offline vicstermalone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 July 10 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I know these postings were 2 years ago but i have just picked up the research on this side of my family.
I am related to the daughter of william mcgovern and alice berry, Mary ann Mcgovern born around 1849 and married John Duffy in 1865. does anyone have any info they could share? im quite new to this site so please bear with me !
thanks victoria

Offline busymother

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 July 10 17:34 BST (UK) »
Victoria
I am the gg granddaughter of Mary Ann McGovern. How are you related. I do have some info.
Marie
helford, feehilly, muldowney, evers

Offline Pádraigín

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 09:43 BST (UK) »
Marie

I picked up this post from Victoria and replied.   Her family comes from Shotts but she lives in Fife.  I have asked if she would like to meet.   Have been to Clones and Killanny since we corresponded but found nothing about Berry/McGoverns.

Hope you are well.

P

Offline vicstermalone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 12:09 BST (UK) »
marie,
i am the GGG grandaughter of Mary ann.
Maryann married John Duffy
their son John Married Margaret Quigley
their daughter Letitia Duffy married Thomas Malone
their son Thomas Malone married Julia Connelly
their son John Malone (one of 11) is my father.
would love to know your connection.
Victoria

Offline Pádraigín

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 12:12 BST (UK) »
Victoria

Did you receive my e-mail?     

Pádraigín