Author Topic: certificates - should i check  (Read 8852 times)

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
Re: certificates - should i check
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 06 April 08 14:19 BST (UK) »
Don't give up!!
Rootschatters are here to help!
Paulene :)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: certificates - should i check
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 06 April 08 14:28 BST (UK) »
If your marriage was a church marriage and you can find & have access to the parish records, it would obviously be of benefit to check the originals. If this is not possible, or the originals are the same as your copies, then as Stan mentioned - start looking for other reasons.

If it is a Richard Rose who has become a James Rose there can be many reasons. I have a lass who was registered as Jane, on various census records she is sometimes Emma sometimes Jane and once Jane E. She married as Jane Emma.

Perhaps your man was Richard James or James Richard. He may have been named Richard but known during his life as James - or vice versa. Sometimes folks are named for their father, but then known with a different name throughout their lives. Was this in the 1800s - can you check/verify his name on census records. If a later time, can you check electoral rolls - telephone books?

I have found a number of bdm records containing incorrect information, accidentally or deliberately given. Even currently, there is not a large effort made to verify information. When my daughter was born the information I recorded was accepted without certificate verification( this included when/where the parents were married & details of any other children). When my parents died, the information given on their death certificates was verified only to the extent of the cause of death and funeral director information (Aust certificates contain much more information than English ones - but it is only what the informant has stated - whatever is stated/written by the informant is on the certificate)

There seem to be many instances on RootsChat where a father mentioned on a marriage certificate cannot be found - as mentioned by Paulene, usually to hide illegitimacy.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk