Author Topic: Gill's Court, Salford  (Read 8331 times)

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Gill's Court, Salford
« on: Sunday 06 April 08 13:20 BST (UK) »
My ancestors were living in Gill's Court, Salford in 1854. I think this was probably in the area around Gravel Lane off Chapel St. Does anyone have a map which shows it? Thanks
Chirp
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gill's Court, Salford
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 April 08 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Chirp,
I've got Gravel Lane on the 1848 and 1891 repro maps, but no sign of a Gills Court nearby on either.  There is a Bull Court and a Caygill St - nearest I can see as soundalikes  :)

Maybe Gills Court changed its name, or was built & demolished between those dates? Is the name from a directory? 

:) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 April 08 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara
Thank you for your reply. No I didn't get this name from a directory it was on the marriage certificate of my 2x great grandparents. They were both living there at the time of their marriage in September 1854.

Chirp
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Glass making, S Shields

Offline skb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 April 08 16:22 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1851 unfilmed census, this is the description of the enumerator's area

Bounded by the East side of Gravel Lane by the South side of Palmer Street and of Kings Head Yard and the North West side of Chapel Street.
Including: the South East side of Gravel Lane from Chapel Street to Palmer Street, Hardings Buildings, Briercliffes Buildings No. 1 and No. 2. The South side of Palmer Street and the Kings Head Yard. The North West side of Chapel Street from Kings Head Yard to Gravel Lane, Kidderminster Court, Richardsons Court, Gills Court, Nightingale Square and Trinity Church.
Byers (Salford & London)
Stringfellow (Salford & Chorley)
Holmes (Manchester & Birmingham)
Goulding/Golden (Birmingham & Lincolnshire)
Bassett (Manchester & Salford, Staffordshire)
Child (Lincolnshire)
Belshaw (Salford)
Hallsworth (Eccles & Salford)
Vernon (Bury & Chapel en le Frith)

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 April 08 17:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this, it is really helpful. The same family who lived at Gills Court also lived, at different times, in Hardings Buildings and Briercliffes Buildings so I now know they didn't move far!
Chirp
Glass making, S Shields

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 April 08 18:14 BST (UK) »
Very helpful skb - I can see the area near Trinity church and it looks to me as if Hardings Buildings and Gills court might be the same place.

Here's the map from 1849, with Hardings buildings marked. In between Richardson Court and Nightingals Square.  I've just finished reading Robert Roberts book, The Classic Slum, and this is the same area of Salford that he writes about :D

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 April 08 19:33 BST (UK) »
To skb and Barbara
I can't thank you enough - this is so helpful. Barbara is this map an Alan Godfrey one? If so, could I have a note of the number please? The book reference is interesting I will try and get hold of a copy. Thanks again.
Chirp
Glass making, S Shields

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 April 08 20:37 BST (UK) »
The map is Manchester Sheet 23, Manchester Victoria 1849. I got mine direct from Godfrey Maps, you can order online and their postage costs are really cheap, about 75p I think.
The Classic Slum book is about the Edwardian era so a bit later than your family were there. Even so, I'm sure it mentioned the Flat Iron Market on Chapel St. It's on the map there near Trinity Church

:) Barbara

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 April 08 20:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Barbara, I'll get a copy.
Chirp
Glass making, S Shields