Author Topic: Censuswhack  (Read 122981 times)

Paul E

Censuswhack
« on: Saturday 15 January 05 10:11 GMT (UK) »
I am sure many Rootschat users will have heard of 'Googlewhacking', where the object is to put two words into the Google search engine and come up with only one result?

Well, how about Census whacking using Ancestry or other programmes?

The rules are simple: see if you can find

- a surname that occurs in only ONE family in any census
- a first name that only one person in the country has
- an occupation that only one person in the country has

Any takers?? ;D

To start you off, in 1881 there was only ONE 'Witch Well Hole Maker' in the country - what would we have done without him?

RG11/0233 
Registration district:    Islington 
Sub-registration district:    Islington West 
ED, institution, or vessel:    30 
Folio:    38 
Page:    21

Offline Janed

• I am sorry but my email address has stopped working please contact support for help
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Censuswhack
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 January 05 10:19 GMT (UK) »
 I have the one and only Daroch in the 1901 census.
Alice Daroch born in Plymouth living in Roath Cardiff. She was recently married and her husband was a mariner so presumably away at sea.

On other documents it is spelt Daroche and they are the only ones on Free BMD. I'ld love to know more about them but have found nothing post 1916 or pre her marriage in 1900

Paul E

« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 January 05 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

Have you been able to send for her marriage certificate, which would give her maiden name and dtails of her father, which would make searching easier (so long as she wasn't a Smith!)

First point to Jane for the only 1901 Daroch! :)

Offline Janed

• I am sorry but my email address has stopped working please contact support for help
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 January 05 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion but I knew who she was before her marriage I had been looking for her afterwards.

Her maiden name was Alice Maud Lewis daughter of Richard Lewis and Elizabeth Cozins. Richard had been in the army so the children had been born in various places. My great grandfather(Alice's older brother) was born in Gibraltar and his birth record eludes me.

However back to the original point she married Eugene Daroche in 1900 had a selection of children to 1916 and then the Daroche's have disappeared. In fact Eugene only appears on his marriage certificate--did he exist!!!!

Paul E

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 January 05 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Janed, didn;t mean to try to teach my grandmother how to etc etc.  It was just the way I interpreted your message :-[
I had a quick look on Genes Reunited and the major surname variant is Darroch.  Not much help there!
best wishes

Paul

PS

Is James Ray England's only Sheepdipper in 1881?

RG11/3435 
Registration district:    Chesterfield 
Sub-registration district:    Chesterfield 
ED, institution, or vessel:    29 
Folio:    38 
Page:    70

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 January 05 23:36 GMT (UK) »

- a first name that only one person in the country has

1901 - Modred

Modred Tully aged 11, born London, living in Croydon, Surrey.

Maybe a Rootschatter has Modred in their tree??

tabitha  :)
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Offline tabitha

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 January 05 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Here's another first name that appears only once in 1901:

Azenath

Azenath Burley aged 21, born Luxulyan, Cornwall, living in Newquay Cornwall.

(I guessed at that one as it's a mis-spelling of my Grandmother's name!)

tabitha  :)
Bevan, Hill, Tustin, Watkins, Teague (Herefordshire, Radnorshire). Rockett, Lillycrap, Govett, Gready, Saunders (Somerset). Sussex, Smale (Devon). Oliver, Kennedy, Cummings, Wright (Co. Durham). Farish (Cumberland, Scotland). Cox (London, Middlessex, Buckinghamshire).

Paul E

« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 January 05 23:57 GMT (UK) »
I think that's two points to Tabitha, who has taken a lead in the early stages.  The actual image for the Modred entry looks nothing like Modred - but the rules don't say anything about transcription errors!

Azanath is wonderful.  Sounds like a character in Lord of the Rings!

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 January 05 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I don't subscribe to Ancestry but I would love to know if my g.g. grandmother was the only Mirwen Maria.   I've also seen spelling variants of Murwen/Murven/Marwin Maria.   She died in 1901.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk