Author Topic: Censuswhack  (Read 123421 times)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Censuswhack
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 08:50 GMT (UK) »
The 1901 census as it appears on Ancestry is not a reliable indicator of surname frequency. For example, I have Nethway in my family tree - there are  nine of them in 1891 but none in 1901. I am sure they did not simply all die in the intervening years or, if single females, all marry.
In my wife's line there appears de Beauvoir but the 1881 census has only a single mention of that name and that is an unrelated person!
 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Paul E

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hackstaple

This extract from the Croydon Mercury, 10 September 1899 may help explain all:

A Sad Day for the Nethways

A most peculiar motor accident occurred at the junction of Christchurch Lane and Sebastopol Avenue on Saturday last.
A charabang transporting a family of the name of Nethway collided with a haycart on its way to a farm on the very outskirts of town.  Unfortunately,  the charabang overturned and occassioned the death of all occupants, who were travelling to visit in-laws.  There were no survivors.  A spokesman for the Croyden constabulary later said: "This was a terrible calamity.  By the time we arrived there was nothing to be done.  My heart goes out to any surviving relatives, and particularly to any descendents who may experience terrible problems locating them in the 1901 census."

;) 

However ...your point re Ancestry is well made (and I suspect for all indexes!) - but please accept a point for de Beauvoir!

best wishes

Paul

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 10:11 GMT (UK) »
1881 census and then : RG11/76 folios 43-45

You will find Charles Bigtop and sundry other ludicrous names and occupations.

By the way Charles was so successful at his job that he finally rid Britain of wild tigers completely and died a pauper on the steps of Buckingham Palace, quite spoiling Queen Victoria's birthday party. ;D
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline broakham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Can I claim 2 points for the family who appear as MAWHORD in the 1881 census and MARVHOOD in 1891?
Slack - Sheffield/Dbys/Lincs/Notts
Buxton/Oates/Mawhood/Simmonite/Rawson/Coombs/Dunk/Wilson/Bramham/Briggs/Cowley/Kay/Leesley/Sarson/White - all mainly Sheffield area

Paul E

« Reply #22 on: Thursday 03 February 05 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Two fine points to broakham, I think!
Not an obvious similarity, and if you were following that family - well done in tracking them down, I say! ;D

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 February 05 08:59 GMT (UK) »
The Bullfinch one is hilarious, I looked at the original image and its crossed out but in the relation box it says PET, someone having a laugh!!!

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline kat2004

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Fred and Harry Miller 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 03 February 05 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I have a Bieness on my 1901 census. she would be my gg grandmother. On her marriage cert she spells it Beneniss, Ive not as yet been able to trace her birth cert.  Ive tried googling the name and been on name origins websites but it seems to be completely unknown. If anyone can help me out with a meaning for the name it would be great. Apparently, according to the marriage cert, she was born in South Shields, but i cant find a birth entry for her.
Miller family -Staffordshire, Leicestishire Cumberland,Pennysylvania.Auckland.
Hill family- Northumberland,Durham, Cumberland.
Woodward- Staffordshire.
Roberts- Flintshire, Cumberland
Fisher Cumberland, Lancashire
Taylor Cumberland, Lancashire,Durham

Paul E

« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 February 05 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi kat

I think you deserve a consolation point at the very least  :)- I can;t check the 1901 for Durham but there are no other Beneniss or Bieness listings across England for 1871/81/91.

Perhaps you should post the details you have got from 1901 on the Durham County page here at Rootschat, under 'lookup requests' (if you've not already done so) and see what other Rootschatters make of it.

Good luck!

Paul

Paul E

« Reply #26 on: Thursday 03 February 05 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Points to date:

janed                   1
tabitha                 2
emilysiobhan        2
Hackstaple           1
broakham             2
kat                        1

Did anyone spot the one and only 'Bootlicker' in 1881? (probably mistranscribed from bootclicker).  Hats off to James Kennedy, of Elswick, Northumberland, for honesty!

Paul