Author Topic: Censuswhack  (Read 123266 times)

Paul E

Re: Censuswhack
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 January 05 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

Can't find Mirwen Maria or any of the variants in any of the censuses, I'm afraid - so no points here.
But something strange is going on in the world of the Marias in the last half of the C19th...

Ancestry shows 588 of them in England in 1871, only 16 in 1881, 285 in 1891 and 192 in 1901.
I suspect that the name has been altered in transcription in a lot of cases in 1881 - unless they were all hiding!

(There are 2 Marwin's in 1901, 4 in 1891, 4 in 1881 and 2 in 1871 but none of the other variants).

best wishes

Paul

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 January 05 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

That's strange.   I have her as Maria Hartshorn age 20 in the 1841, Mirven Hartshorn age 33 in the 1851, in 1861 she is Merwin Hartshorne/Nail Maker age 48 (which is confusing in itself) and in 1871 she is Merwin M., age 53.   The same address, St. James Terrace, Dudley for all censuses.   I haven't seen the images.   

On the IGI Christening records for her children she becomes Murwin Maria and I have this week found her death, in Sheffield in January 1901 and I sent for the certificate yesterday.

I haven't yet found her on the 1881 or 1891 so maybe she is one of those you have found?

Pity I'm not getting any points!

Jill

Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Paul E

« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 January 05 23:29 GMT (UK) »
 :D Yes, she's there in 1871 as Merwin M Hartshorne, and I stand corrected - there are seven merwin's in England at that time.  There are 10 in 1881, but the oldest is 42.   There are 9 in 1901, but the oldest is 52 .  Not sure why they didn't emerge on my first search though - - must have mistyped a digit in oriinal search??? :-[

Now, if we were giving points for variations in ages across the censuses, Merwin would have bagged you a handful!

Ancestry throws up a Mary Ann Maria living at 10 St John's Street, Dudley in 1891, aged 52 BUT looking at the image she is shown as mother of the head of household who is James Louison Weeks, and above her is an Ethel Maria, aged 2, Daur: I suspect the 'do' is missing for Ethel and that she should be weeks, so that Mary Ann 'do' is indexed as Maria.  Hey ho!

best wishes

Paul

Offline JillJ

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 January 05 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Paul;  very interesting!   I wonder why my Merwin doesn't show up on the 1881?   

All the information you are giving me compensates adequately for the lack of points, and when you start a thread on age variations you can expect to see Merwin as an entrant for top prize!

Jill
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.

Paul E

« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 January 05 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

Have you come across this in 1881:

1881 Dudley

18 Salop Street

Sophia Banks, Head, Widow, 73, Nailmaker, Dudley
Mary Ann Hartshorn, Daur, Widow, 43 ???, Nailmaker, Dudley

RG11/2875 
Registration district:    Dudley 
Sub-registration district:    Dudley 
ED, institution, or vessel:    2b 
Folio:    54 
Page:    31

She is the only Hartshorn nailmaker showing in 1881.

Paul

Offline JillJ

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 January 05 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Yes, thank you very much, I have found that one.   I think you will find the name is Danks, not Banks.   I can only assume that Mary Ann was the wife of one of Merwin's sons.   I have found 6 children so far:  Edwin <1836>, George 1839, Isaac 1849, Sarah Ann 1851, Maria 12.12.1852 and Joshua <1857>.   I need to find Mary Ann on an earlier census with her husband!

Thanks again.

Jill

Offline emilysiobhan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 06:53 GMT (UK) »
I think this must be a mis-transcription..or somebodys idea of a joke? But I found the following as the only Tiger slayer ??? in the 1881 census...

Charles BIGTOP      Lodger      U      Male      40      Nottingham, England      Tiger Slayer

Dwelling     5 Church St Common Lodging House
     Census Place    London, Middlesex, England
    Family History Library Film     1341017
    Public Records Office Reference     RG11
    Piece / Folio     0076 / 44
    Page Number     36

Emily :)

He also seems to be the only person with that surname in the country...did someone invent him???
Cork: Collins,
Herts/Beds:  Pope,Harwood
Essex:  Bryant, Pumfrey, Williams, Keyes,Totham, Citchen
Surrey/London: Shields, Woolf, Cooper, Quinton, Plumer
other: Cuskern,  Domazsewicz
Wales: Morgan, Mathews, Thomas (x2), Trew, Protheroe, Owen

Census information is Crown copyright

Offline emilysiobhan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 07:08 GMT (UK) »
I just came across another very strange entry in 1881....look at the last entry in this household ;D

William KING      Head      M      Male      36      Campton, Bedford, England      Travelling Draper (Com)      
 Elizabeth KING      Wife      M      Female      38      London Chelsea, London, Middlesex, England            
 Florence M. KING      Daur      U      Female      8      Hitchin, Hertford, England      Scholar      
 Gertrude S. KING      Daur      U      Female      6      Hitchin, Hertford, England      Scholar      
 Bertha L. KING      Daur      U      Female      4      Hitchin, Hertford, England      Scholar      
 Ethel A. KING      Daur            Female      1      Swindon, Wiltshire, England            
 Esther PAGE      Servant            Female      14      Ware, Hertford, England      Servant      
 Bullfinch CALSO COCK      Other      U      Male      0      In The Bush      Piper To The King      

Source Information:
    Dwelling     Private House Watton Rd
     Census Place    Ware, Hertford, England
    Family History Library Film     1341342
    Public Records Office Reference     RG11
    Piece / Folio     1402 / 43
    Page Number     25

Did they add a pet bird to the census???
Cork: Collins,
Herts/Beds:  Pope,Harwood
Essex:  Bryant, Pumfrey, Williams, Keyes,Totham, Citchen
Surrey/London: Shields, Woolf, Cooper, Quinton, Plumer
other: Cuskern,  Domazsewicz
Wales: Morgan, Mathews, Thomas (x2), Trew, Protheroe, Owen

Census information is Crown copyright

Paul E

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 February 05 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Emily roars into the lead with two points! :)
Nice entries!