Author Topic: A family legend of an execution.  (Read 737 times)

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A family legend of an execution.
« on: Tuesday 08 April 08 13:23 BST (UK) »
when i first started looking into this family history lark i was told that one of our family on my mothers side from my mothers side was executed.
i duly traced my family back to Littleport in Cambridgeshire and was deligted to discover 5 Littleputians were executed for their part in the Littleport riots of 1816.
However, none of the names of those men fit directly into the names i had.
i bought a book on the riots and i noted that a Daniel HARWOOD was executed in Norwich for his part in a seperate part of the same riots over the border in Norfolk.
when i got my direct relatives marriage certificate for Daniel Smith........... he names his father a Daniel HARWOOD. I just wonder if this is the man.
Daniel Smith states in every census return that he was born in Downham, Norfolk in or around 1816 the same year Daniel HARWOOD was executed.
I have no details of any brothers/sisters or name of mother. he lived his life in Southery/Littleport.

I employed norfolk record office researchers to look for his birth/baptism which they said they could not find. I don't know whether they looked for a Daniel HARWOOD as well as a Daniel Smith. If anyone is going that way could someone look this up for me !!!!!!!!! or suggest anything else i should be doing ..

Thanks
iain