Author Topic: wildman family  (Read 21817 times)

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: wildman family
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 13:05 BST (UK) »
Kia Ora
My William Wildman alias Tyler married Susannah Fairey in 1812 in Riseley. It may be of interest to note one of their children's baptisms does not appear on the IGI online but is on the discs of Vital Records. Both died in 1848 and were aged 50 in 1841 census.  Susannah's baptism is definitely at Riseley - William's is uncertain.

A second point is that their daughter Esther Wildman (or Tyler) baptised 1813 in Riseley married Isaac Flavell in 1832 in Bletsoe - writtten as Esther Wilesman.  This marriage can only be found by searching the film from the LDS.

There are several strong connections between Riseley and Bletsoe for the Wildmans  but not everything is online and the films or the Parish register itself has to be searched!

I have hard copies of my connections to prove my point!
Happy hunting
Marlene

HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Fezann & welcome to RootsChat

The Beds Archives at Bedford County Hall have transcribed parish registers from most Bedfordshire villages up to 1812 & hard copies are available from them (or on microfiche if you prefer from the Beds FHS). These hard copies are also available at both Bedford & Luton main libraries.  I have Bletsoe, Thurleigh, Riseley, Sharnbrook, Souldrop, Knotting plus a few others. 

The Beds Archives also have microfilm copies of the marriage register, which will give you additional info about witnersses.

After 1812 the parish registers are available in microfiche at the Beds Archives or Luton library or your local LDS centre. 

regards John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Fezann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi wdurham,
Thanks for your reply I have found  some IGI entries . Sorry to appear dim but what are  controlled extractions and can I find them on line?

Offline wdurham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 02:05 BST (UK) »
Fezann -

There are two kinds of entry on the IGI -

1. Transcriptions of the actual parish records done by the IGI from films they have made from the originals - these are known as "controlled extractions". They are usually pretty reliable, being trasncripts, but it's always advisable, if possible, to view the originals to avoid the transcription errors that always, no matter how diligent a transcriber is, creep in.

2. Entries submitted by LDS church members during the course of their "temple work". Temple work in its broadest sense means collating as many ancestors as possible of your family so that they can be posthumously baptised into the Church of the Latter Day Saints.

These don't adhere to any real standards - if the name and place are right then they are "family".  The key errors which creep in are the extrapolation of birth dates from marriage entries - a man is deemed to have been 25 when he married, and a woman 21. So from a marriage entry, birth dates are just subtractions of 25 and 21 years respectively from the marriage date. You can see what a nonsense this would make of a widower marrying in his 60s! He would probably end up being "born" after the birth of all of his children....as has happened in my own tree on several occasions.

Another key error is to assume, if no baptism can be found, that people were born where they married. In the case of males, where the tradition is for the male to go to the female's home for the wedding, this is rarely true unless he and his wife-to-be were in the same village.

Some member entries are fine - where members have actually viewed the films and discovered real dates of real happenings. These are often indicated by the fact that there are complete dates and proper place names. But many, many more give dates as "About....". These should be treated with the utmost suspicion, as they are little more than guesswork on the part of the church member that submitted them.

Hope this helps a bit! Just remember that nothing on the IGI is gospel, because their aims and objectives are different to those of family historians like us. We are incredibly lucky that their philosophy requires the tracking of ancestors through church and other records, and that they have made their work available to the wider world. But anything that is not a controlled extraction needs treating with a vast amount of salt!
Willson & Pell in Faversham, Egerton, Folkestone in Kent
Cornhill in Kent, Devon and Wokingham, Berks
Cadmans & Kings in Isleham, Cambs
Swan, Gregory, Smith & Mingay in the Burrough Green/Westley area of Cambs
Armstrong & Chandler in Bedford
Abbott/Abbit in Witham, Essex
Davies/Davis in Islington & Hackney

Offline Fezann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 15:19 BST (UK) »
 wdurham.
Thanks for the brilliant explanation. The search continues!

Offline aneta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 28 August 08 05:19 BST (UK) »
???
Good afternoon
i received posts regarding the WILDMAN FAMILY HISTORY.
the date of WILLIAM senior birth is 6th February 1761 Maulden and died 3rd July 1831 in Maulden.

I am totally confused as on my records that were sent to me via a cousin who is right into the WILDMANS here in AUSTRALIA that WILLIAM WILDMAN married 2 women one ANNE ???? and she died on the 17th September 1804 in MAULDEN HER BURIAL IS AS FOLLOWS 17TH SEPTEMBER 1804 ST MARY MAULDEN;
 than he married SUSAN CHAPMAN 15th APRIL 1805 in AMPTHILL, BEDFORDSHIRE.

Children born to William and Anne are as follows;
WILLIAM born 24th June 1787 in MAULDEN
SARAH born 1 January 1789 Maulden died 4th May 1791 in Maulden
Mathew born 28th August 1791 in Maulden and died on the 14th May 1826 in MAULDEN.

Children born to WILLIAM AND SUSAN CHAPMAN.
DANIEL BORN 29TH January 1806 (my Great great grandfather)
JAMES born 22nd May 1808 died Bedfordshire 1881.
GEORGE born 14th March 1811 in Maulden.
Also I am wondering where the lady got the WILDMAN SHIELD please.
How did she down load it to her site??
Aneta

SUTHERLAND, McDOWELL and WILDMAN

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 August 08 08:22 BST (UK) »
Not quite sure what you're asking for, but I'll cut and paste your original message with any amendments/additions marked on it. Anything pre 1812 is taken from the parish register transcript

"the date of WILLIAM senior birth baptism is 6th February 1761 Maulden, son of William (buried 14 May 1784, bricklayer)  and Rebecca (buried 2 March 1804) and died 3rd July 1831 in Maulden was buried on 5 July 1831 aged 70 at Maulden.

I am totally confused by what?as on my records that were sent to me via a cousin who is right into the WILDMANS here in AUSTRALIA that WILLIAM WILDMAN married 2 women one ANNE Huh? and she died on the 17th September 1804 in MAULDEN HER BURIAL IS AS FOLLOWS 17TH SEPTEMBER 1804 ST MARY MAULDEN, wife of William;
 then he married SUSAN CHAPMAN 15th APRIL 1805 in AMPTHILL, BEDFORDSHIRE (you need to check the marriage entry to see if William was described as widower, and to see if he was described as of the parish of Maulden, to confirm that it is the same William. Looks very likely)

Children born to William and Anne are as follows;
WILLIAM born baptised 24th June 1787 in MAULDEN
SARAH born 1 January 1789 MauldenNo baptism in Maulden. Don't know where this birth date came from died buried4th May Sept1791 in Maulden
Mathew born baptised28th August 1791 in Maulden and died was buried age 34 on the 14th May 1826 in MAULDEN.

Children born to WILLIAM AND SUSAN CHAPMAN.
DANIEL BORN baptised 29TH January June 1806 (my Great great grandfather)
JAMES born baptised 22nd May 1808 died Bedfordshire 1881.
GEORGE born baptised 14th March April 1811 in Maulden.

Susan Wildman age 50 was buried at Maulden on 16 July 1830

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd