Author Topic: wildman family  (Read 21816 times)

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: wildman family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 April 08 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi John
So had James died too? 
I must get some beauty sleep - desperately needed!
Cheers
Marlene
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 10 April 08 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi John
Sorry meant to ask - who were the witnesses at Mary & Joseph's wedding?
Cheers
Marlene
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 10 April 08 14:10 BST (UK) »
So had James died too? 

No, James was with son George (who had married Ann Allen in Dec 1850) on the 1851 & 1861 census; but I've not found him in 1841.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 April 08 02:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks. We have access to Ancestry at the Library now (at last) so I'll organise a Caregiver sometime next week and see what i can find!
Interesting the Allens appear in the mix again!
Cheers
Marlene

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 April 08 11:05 BST (UK) »
Kia Ora John
I have deleted MARY WILDMAN from my family tree and inserted a note about her appearance with the family on the 1841 accordingly.
Regards
Marlene

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 April 08 14:25 BST (UK) »
Marlene;

Catherine Bell was (possibly) daughter John Bell & Mary ne Hullatt who married 6/6/1785 at Turvey. Catherine was christened at Turvey on 15/Apr/1798 age 5.

Martha Bell b 1801 was daughter of same John Bell & 2nd wife Elizabeth Moor who he married at Chellington 12/10/1796

John Bell & Mary also had a son Thomas chr 8/Jul/1785 Turvey, & he married Sarah Farey 28/05/1806 at Felmersham.

Witnesses at marriage of James Wildman of Riseley to Catherine Bell of Radwell on 4/6/1817 were Kezia Bell & Thomas Grindon.  Kezia b 1799 being yet another daughter of James & Elizabeth. This pair also witnessed the marriage of another son, Samuel Bell to Martha Swannell on 11/9/1818 at Felmersham.

Also Thomas Bell & Catherine Bell witnessed the marriage of William Fairy of Radwell to Mary Chambers of Radwell on 28/02/1813 at Felmersham.

Regards John

(& apologies to Aneta for hijacking your topic )     
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline wdurham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 April 08 15:34 BST (UK) »
I have Wildman's too - twice!

The first lot were Edward and a wife Mary. IGI member entries suggest he was born in Thurleigh and christened on 1st May 1757, son of John Wildman or Tyler and Ann. The same entry says he married Mary Day on 22 Sep 1778, also in Thurleigh.

Edward and Mary begat (among others, I expect - I haven't yet looked!) John in 1781 who became a carpenter. An extracted entry shows him christened on 8 Jul 1781.

John also married a Mary in about 1803 - IGI member entries suggest Mary Smitton, allegedly of Bletsoe - and had several children in Thurleigh. These include (from 2 different IGI batches) Elizabeth 1805, 2 goes at an Edward in 1806 and 1809, Ann 1808, Mary 1813, Abigail 1815, Kezia 1819 and (wait for it) Kerenhappuch 1819. These last two COULD be twins as they run in the family.

John is in 1841 at Church End, Thurleigh, when he still has a couple of children at home - a daughter aged 20 listed as Haranhapatch, and a son John aged 15 who was also a carpenter. In 1851 he's still in Church End, on his own.

His daughter Mary 1813, married Thomas Simeon Hart, and THEIR son Thomas married Anne, one of my Ravensden Armstrong family in 1851.

The other family of Wildmans in my tree are a bit later - they marry into the Chandler family of Bedford in 1888 when Arthur Wildman, b about 1866 in Wilden, marries Emma Chandler. Emma is the niece of the Ann Armstrong mentioned above.

Arthur was born in Wilden in about 1866, and was probably the son of Edward Wildman and his wife Sarah Seer Laughton. Edward was born about 1841 in Ravensden.

Edward was the son of John Wildman born Ravensden in about 1813 according to the census returns, who married Hannah Whitamore in 1834 in Ravensden, according to an IGI member entry. His wife is probably correct as his mother in law Hannah Whitamore was living with them in 1851 in Ravensden, and an aged male Whitamore in 1841 in Ravensden.

Oddly enough, in 1841, John and Hannah are next door to John Armstrong and Eleanor Green - the Emma Chandler that Arthur Wildman married in 1888 was the granddaughter of John and Eleanor, whilst Arthur was the grandson of John and Hannah....small world!

I haven't yet been able to establish if my Wildman carpenters of Wilden and my Wildman carpenters of Ravensden are connected - though I would guess they are, because of (a) the occupation and (b) the closeness of Wilden and Ravensden.
Willson & Pell in Faversham, Egerton, Folkestone in Kent
Cornhill in Kent, Devon and Wokingham, Berks
Cadmans & Kings in Isleham, Cambs
Swan, Gregory, Smith & Mingay in the Burrough Green/Westley area of Cambs
Armstrong & Chandler in Bedford
Abbott/Abbit in Witham, Essex
Davies/Davis in Islington & Hackney

Offline Fezann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 August 08 19:34 BST (UK) »
I was very interested to read your posting about the Wildman family of Thurleigh. Abigail married Stephen Nottingham in 1838 ( my ggg grandparents ) I have a copy of their marriage cert  . I also have a copy of Kezia's to John Barcock  one of the witnesses being her father John the other Kerenhappuch, although I would not have been able to decipher that one without your help!
You have obviously been able to go back futher than I have. Can you tell me where I should be looking for marriage and baptisms in Thurleigh prior to this?

Offline wdurham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 11:00 BST (UK) »
hi, Fezann -

The IGI covers Bedfordshire pretty well, and Thurleigh has controlled extractions for baptisms from 1562 - 1946. Marriages too, though these stop at 1812.

There are also very many member entries dealing with the Thurleigh Wildmans (sometimes known as Wildman or Tyler) - who may have originated from Riseley - Riseley is also covered by the controlled extraction programme for baptisms from 1602 to 1812, and marriages from 1602 - 1885.

I haven't pursued the family any further than I had gone back in April using the above sources - although your query has re-ignited my interest! Particularly in discovering if the Riseley-Thurleigh-Ravensden familes are related, and if so, how.

For interest, the name Kerenhappuck was that of the third daughter of Job!
Willson & Pell in Faversham, Egerton, Folkestone in Kent
Cornhill in Kent, Devon and Wokingham, Berks
Cadmans & Kings in Isleham, Cambs
Swan, Gregory, Smith & Mingay in the Burrough Green/Westley area of Cambs
Armstrong & Chandler in Bedford
Abbott/Abbit in Witham, Essex
Davies/Davis in Islington & Hackney