Author Topic: GGGrandfather Rev William Pasley  (Read 17198 times)

Offline acookey

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
GGGrandfather Rev William Pasley
« on: Wednesday 09 April 08 07:03 BST (UK) »
Hullo to Ireland from Sunny Qld

Can anyone help me?  I am trying to find some information on my GG Grandfather, Rev William Pasley.  He married Katherine Wilson, supposed daughter of a countess?

My Great Grandfather was his son,  Robert Pasley who migrated to Australia in 1949.    We know little about William,  but he is mentioned as the father of Elizabeth Long whose daughter Mildred was involved in a "scandal" (the Langworthy affair)  in England in the 1880's.  We have photos of Elizabeth Long, that must have been sent to her brother, Robert.

In the publication, A Romance of the Law Courts,  Elizabeth Long's father is described as Dr Sabine-Pasley, rector of a parish in Wexford.  We know the events and people in the publication were true, although there could be a little literary licence.  Therefore not sure about the Sabine-Pasley bit, might have been a bit of gilding of the lily there.

Robert's brother, Walter, also came to Australia, and they only refound each other shortly before Walter's death because of this publication.  Walter in a letter to Robert in 1885 says "I suppose you never hear of the Wilsons of Wexford - If John Wilson is alive and still at Jigginstown.  I wonder how he acts the Landord - and how does the "Plan of Campaign" affect him.  Well, Well, I thought once I was to marry Fanny Wilson......."

We also know from Walter's letter that they attended the Blue Coat School, probably in Dublin, and that another brother William was a seaman, probably a master, but suffered from eplispy from a blow to the head.

Can anyone help me with information or how I might go about finding out.

With thanks

Annette Cooke
RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GGGrandfather Rev William Pasley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 08:29 BST (UK) »
To start with- Blue Coat School:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Coat_School#Education
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King's_Hospital

Could you perhaps give an idea of dates here so we can suggest sources to check.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 April 08 16:24 BST (UK) »
found this marriage.  ELIZABETH PASLEY TO WM. LONG 18-12-1847 @ ST.MARYS DUBLIN.

FATHERS. WM. PASLEY & ROBERT LONG.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline acookey

• RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 April 08 05:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

That certainly looks like Elizabeth Pasley's marriage, thank you Mary.  Thanks also for the links, Aghadowey.

Walter died in Qld in 1889.  His DC said he was 59 , so that puts his birth about 1830. Roberts birth date is believed to be 1835.  Other siblings we know of are Charles, no dates, William (seaman, master?), Louise who also died in Australia, in Victoria, believed to be born about 1843, a Mary who came to Australia, no dates, and Elizabeth who maried William Long.

As Rev William married Katherine Wilson, it is interesting Walter talks about the Wilson's of Wexford, which is one of the reasons I posted to Wexford board.

With thanks

Annette
RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline acookey

• RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 April 08 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi All :-[

Just realised I made a typo in my orginal posting.  Robert Pasley migrated in 1849, not 1949.

We have no dates for his parents, except for his mother's death.

Cheers

Annette
RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline acookey

• RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
Re: GGGrandfather Rev William Pasley-possible marriage
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 07:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I found an index of a possible marriage notice for Rev William and Katherine.  It was for the 1820 Freemans journal, and I have sent for a transcription but as the site is not answering emails I am not feeling that confident.

The index said:  Grooms name: Pasley, Brides name: Palliser, Brides place: Great Island; Place of Marriage: Tintern, other surname on notice: Wilson.  The name Palliser, I have since found, is associated with the family, and there were Wilson Pallisers around Wexford at the time.  In fact Christian Wilson Palliser and Matthew Wilson Palliser sold the family estates at Great Island through the Incumbered Estates Court in 1850. (Amazing what you find surfing the net).

Is there anyway some kind person could look this marriage record up for me, before I go mad with frustration!!!

I have extensively searched the Griffiths Valuations but can find no Rev William Pasley.

Thanks in advance

Annette

RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline kingjohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 May 09 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
The Pasley family were a well know Dublin Cabinet Making firm for much of the 18th and 19th Century.

PASLEY OR PASSLEY, James, Joiner, Stadbally, Co Laois or Queens, 1729. His will is listed and dated 1727 in Prerogative Will of Ireland (Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810, pp 368).
PASLEY OR PARSLEY I, Robert, Upholder and Cabinet Maker, 50 Abbey-street 1782-1790.
PASLEY OR PARSLEY II, Robert, Upholder and Cabinet Maker, 6 Henry-street 1807-1814. 50 Abbey-street 1816-1828. 42 and 44 Stafford-street 1830-1833 (in partnership with William Scott 1830-1833). Fictitious Votes (Ireland). Place of Residence and Description-Robert Paisley, Cabinet Maker,42 Stafford-street, Situation of Property-House 42 Stafford-street, Description of Right to Vote-Freeman, Date of Registry- 26th October 1832 (Parl Papers 1837, Vol XI, pp 280).
PASLEY OR PARSLEY III, Robert, Upholder and Cabinet Maker, 18 Bachelor’s-walk 1839-1844. 19 Bachelor’s-walk 1845-1851. 20 Bachelor’s-walk 1852-1861. He is also recorded as voting in the City of Dublin election on 25th January 1842 for one representatives: Lord Morpeth (Election for Dublin 1842, NLI Ir 32341 d31). List of Jurors returned by Collectors of Grand Jury Cess for County of Dublin: Special Juror’s List, 1844; Affidavits filed in Cause, Queen v O’Connell, December 1843; St Mary’s Parish Names-Robert Pasley, District-18 Bachelor’s-walk, Calling of Business-Cabinet Maker, Qualification-Householder (Parl Papers 1844, Vol XLIV, pp 45)
PASLEY OR PARSLEY, William, Upholder, Upper Stand-street 1762-1775. 24 Great Stand-street 1776-1780. Freeman of the City of Dublin as a Upholder by Service, Midsummer 1739. Jonas Pasley apprenticed to his father William Pasley, as a Upholder, Michaelmas, 1765. Pasley was elected Master of the Upholders Guild from 1762-1763. Pasley voted in the Poll for electing two members to represent The City of Dublin in April 1761; Dr Charles Lucas and Ald Hunt  (NLI Ms P349).
To be sold by Auction, by William Pasley, Upholder, on Monday 28th of March, the household furniture and interest of the lease of Mrs. Wilkinson's house in Bride-street near Golden-lane (with all the fixtures) being a term for fifty years from the 25th of March 1765, at the yearly rent of 32l for which a fine has been paid, a  condisderable sum laid out.  The house id new, genteely fitted up and has a large open to the rear.  Particulars of the furniture are expressed in handbills.  The sale be being at elven o’clock and continue till all are sold.  N.B. The intrest of the lease will be sold on the 1st day of sale, precisely at one o’clock (FDJ 1768, 15th-17 March).

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 May 09 17:48 BST (UK) »
How about;
PASLEY, GEORGE GERALD. Rank: Second Lieutenant. Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps Age: 19 Date of Death: 19/12/1917 Additional information: Son of Mrs. M. Pasley, of "The Mount, " Tinahely. Grave/Memorial Reference: In North-West part. Cemetery: Kilcommon Church of Ireland Churchyard, Tinahely, Co Wicklow.

PASLEY, JOHN VINCENT. Rank: Acting Lance Corporal. Regiment or Service: Military Police Corps Unit: No. 1 Troop Mounted Military Police. Attached Traffic Control. Date of Death: 05-March-1919. Age at Death; 22. Service No: P/13078. Born in Lugduff. Enlisted in Tinahely while living in Tinahely. Died. Supplementary information; Son of Mr. J. George and Margaret J. Pasley, of The Mount, Tinahely, Co. Wicklow. Grave or Memorial Reference: III. B. 14. Cemetery: Cologne Southern Cemetery.

Offline acookey

• RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 May 09 06:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you to Enfield and Kingjohn for bringing this up again.

I will update you with what has happened since. 

I found Rev William Pasley and Katherine Wilson Palliser's marriage, after striking out with the RCB Library, from the Parish at New Ross, and they were indeed married at Tintern Church (recorded in the Owenduff records).  That is as far as I have managed to go though the Wilson Palliser line is traceable for a long way.

It is the Pasley part that is the problem.  In your list, Kingjohn, the Robert Pasley of Bachelors Walk is very closely linked with this story, but who he was in relation to my Rev William, I do not know.

1.  He is named as the executor in the will of Rev William Pasley, who died at Harold's Cross in 1837.  His children were William H, Webster, Robert, sons, and Mary, Elizabeth and Fanny daughters.  His wife is unknown, as she had household goods beqeathed, but name unstated.

It is really the accounting for the estate, not the will itself.

2.  Children of William and Katherine (known) are: William b. 1821 d. c 1888, Elizabeth b. 1826, Walter b. 1929 d. 1889, Robert b. 1835 d. 1899 and Louisa b. 1842, d. 1820.

3.  Elizabeth as in 2. married William Long in Dublin at St. Mary's Church in 1847.  She gave her Residence as Bachelors Walk, and Robert Pasley signed as Witness together with the Grooms father.

4. Katherine Pasley is buried in an unmarked grave at Mt. Jerome with Robert Pasley and his wife.

The RCB Library has no record of a second Rev William Pasley.

Oh how I would love to knock down this brick wall.

Regards

Annette

RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland