Author Topic: Hurst...?Jam  (Read 2954 times)

Offline lisaoftheforest

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hurst...?Jam
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Red,

Reading this was funny as William Hurst is my Great Great Grandfather. He owned Hurst Jams in Wigan. He had one son named Thomas Hurst and as far as I know three daughters. Thomas had two sons and a daughter, one of the boys being my Grandfather Kenneth. Kenneth and my Grandmother Marion along with my father Ian, sister Ann and brother Graham immigrated to Ontario Canada in 1950. Apparently though I have not visited Wigan yet,  there is a plaque in the Wigan church inscribed with his name as a funder of the church... Neither my Grandfather nor his brother Arnold wanted the jam works so Thomas sold the jam works just before my Grandfather left for Canada. I had always wanted to know who he sold it too but do not have that information.
Just thought I'd write.

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa, welcome to RootsChat! 
Redkop was last on this site at the end of December but should receive a notification that there's been a post on this thread.
Hopefully Red will turn up soon, in the mean time have a look around this brilliant site, it's a great place!
Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 February 17 18:37 GMT (UK) »
The Ellesmere Preserve Works at Newtown were previously run by my second cousin twice removed Robert Alstead.

Sometime between 1898 and 1901 Robert moved into the drapery trade instead.

His wife's family ran Deakin's Jam, with their factory (Eclipse Preserve Works) being just off Chapel Lane.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Gwyneth Harrison

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 March 18 16:05 GMT (UK) »
I am a great granddaughter of William Hurst who was managing directer of Hurst's jam preserves which was in Soho Street Wigan, about where Asda is now. My grandfather, Thomas then took the jamworks over, but sold out in the 50's, believed to be Mather's. Thomas had two sons and one daughter. Arnold (my father),Kenneth, and Dorothy. Arnold would have probably taken over from his father, but died in 1944. Kenneth and Dorothy emigrated to Canada. Kenneth died in Canada, but Dorothy returned to England. Arnold had three children,two girls and a boy; Kenneth had two children, a boy and a girl; Dorothy had two girls. There are many more descendants. I have quite a lot of family history going back several generations if anyone is interested.