Author Topic: death lookup in sterling please  (Read 3361 times)

Offline raine62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
death lookup in sterling please
« on: Thursday 10 April 08 01:21 BST (UK) »
hi please could someone lookup the death of thomas ferguson born 1847,  in 1901 he lived at 37 broad st stirling he was a chief constable in the police force his wifes name was selina he was alive in 1905 as he is on my great grandfathers marriage cert  any info would be great

many thanks lorraine

Offline Hannah29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: death lookup in sterling please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 April 08 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Raine

There's a Death Notice in the 'Stirling Journal and Advertiser' of 17 October 1918 and it says that Thomas Ferguson, ex-Chief Constable of Stirling Burgh Police Force, died at Craigbank, Causewayhead on 14th October 1918.

There is an obituary too which says he was a native of the north of Ireland and had been in the Lanarkshire and Glasgow Police Forces before coming to Stirling. He  retired in 1910 and set up a tobacconist business in Glasgow, but gave that up a after a few years and retired to Blairlogie, then moved to Causewayhead. He had been unwell for a few days prior to his death and he was buried in Ballengeich Cemetery. You should be able to find the actual Death Certificate on Scotlands People.

He and his wife had 10 children, and he was survived by his wife and 6 sons and daughters. There's another obituary in the the 'Stirling Observer' which has a photograph.

Blairlogie is a little hamlet between Stirling and Alva, which you should be able to find on one of the on-line maps. Causewayhead is on the eastern outskirts of Stirling. Ballengeich Cemetery is near Stirling Castle.

Best wishes

Hannah

Offline raine62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 April 08 01:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Hannah that was great information you sent me i only found out my 3x  grandfather name a few days ago after sending for my 2x grandfathers marriage cert how do i or what site do i go on to see the death notice of Thomas Ferguson can i be cheeky and ask you to see if there  is another death notice for a Ronald Richard Robertson born 1884 he was married to Thomas daughter Alice anyway i thank you again

kindest regards Lorraine

Offline Hannah29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 April 08 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorraine

The Stirling newspapers aren't on-line; I looked them up when I was in the Reference Library. If you pm me with your address I can photocopy the obituaries next time I'm in the library and send them to you.

Do you know when Ronald Richard Robertson died? His name isn't in the newspaper index so it would be impossible to find anything without a date of death. I see from his marriage certificate that he was a Lance-Corporal in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders; the Museum there might be able to provide info about him. You can contact them via their website http://www.argylls.co.uk/museum.htm and there's an email link at the foot of the menu on the left.

Best wishes

Hannah

Offline raine62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 April 08 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Hannah, that is great news and i welcome your offer to send me the copy  from the paper my email addy is * if you email me i will send you my address as i dont want to really display my address on this message board as you can fully understand, also i wrote twice before to the Argyle Sutherland Highlanders without no reply, this is my husbands family ime researching it has took me nearly 2yrs to find his mother she was a Robertson her father Charles born 1906 in Stirling  died in the army in 1945  but his father was the hard one to find Ronald Richard Robertson he was born in brighton brought up by his grandparents he  joined the Argyle Sutherland Highlanders i  found him in the 1901 cen as a drummer boy, he was married in 1905 to Alice Ferguson  that was Thomas daughter as i told you in the last reply i do not even know if Ronald had anymore siblings, i checked the war death records could not find him there so the photo of Thomas will be the first on the Ferguson side so i thank you again(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

kindest regards Lorraine

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 April 08 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Lorraine

For Scottish records, the pay per view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk will allow you to download Thomas Fergusons death entry for £1.20.  Minimum payment to the site is £6.  You'll then have another 4 downloads etc of your choice.  Well worth registering - for free and have a look around before parting with any money.

The death entry will give, cause of death, address at time, witness - and parents names, fathers occupation, as well as mothers maiden name

Regards,  Steve :O)

Offline Fergysun

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Raine62...  Thomas Ferguson is my Great Grandfather...  His son John Joseph Ferguson married Margaret M Smith and lived in Cambridge Ma..  His son Donald Joseph Ferguson is my father,

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 February 18 15:29 GMT (UK) »
The Monumental Inscription on Thomas' stone reads as follows:

Sacred to the memory of THOMAS FERGUSON,
for 37 years Chief Constable of the Stirling Burgh Police
Died 14th October 1918 aged 72
Also his daughters
ANNIE died 10th November 1905 aged 23
GEORGINA died 23rd October 1907 aged 39
And his son MATTHEW died 11th February 1916 aged 46
Also his wife SELINA CORBET who died 9th April 1927 aged 78

Anne  :)

Offline Robneve

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 March 18 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Raine.

Thomas died on October 14, 1918 at "Craigbank", Causwayhead, Stirling.

Cause of death is given as Bronchitis, Tonsillitis.

If you want a copy of the extract, send me a PM with e-mail address.

Regards,
Robert Allan