Author Topic: Death in Martinique - where can I find more information, please.  (Read 1259 times)

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
Death in Martinique - where can I find more information, please.
« on: Thursday 10 April 08 22:27 BST (UK) »
I have an overseas death certificate for a gentleman who died in St.Pierre, Martinique. It is the first overseas death certificate I have ever obtained and I was surprised to find that there was no cause of death stated.  The name of the informant is given, but who he is I have no idea - were they friends, fellow artists - I don't know.
I only found out what had happened to William when I found the family grave in the Nottingham General Cemetery. (I had been tracking another William Richards who had joined the merchant navy - same age and same town - so this was a total revelation!)
I would love to find out more about how Charles came to be in St.Pierre, how he died, etc. but have no idea how to go about finding out this information.
I've looked to see if there is something in the local Nottingham newspaper, but couldn't find anything.
If anyone has had experience of tracking down information on someone who died in similar circumstances overseas, I would love to hear from them, or indeed anyone who can give me any ideas of where I might find out more.
Kind regards,
Paulene :)

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
Re: Death in Martinique - where can I find more information, please.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 April 08 21:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry - back again.
Is there anyone with access to ancestry.com who could see if the informant on this certificate is listed on the USA census, in Brooklyn, please.
I have ancestry for the uk only.
Any help would be geatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Paulene :)

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile