Author Topic: Diamond Family Glasgow  (Read 13955 times)

Offline ab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Diamond Family Glasgow
« on: Friday 11 April 08 12:54 BST (UK) »
Is anyone able to check out Scotlands  1861 census for a James Diamond [stonemason]  wife Agnes   and children Elizabeth , Mary Ann,  maybe others.      Probably lived Cavendish St. Glasgow.    Thanks   Anne.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Diamond Family Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 April 08 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Could you give details of their respective birthyears please and also their birthplaces if known

If you already have them on an earlier or later census - please post full details of that entry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 April 08 14:01 BST (UK) »
I've checked Scotlands people but have been unable to trace a James Diamond with a wife Agnes and child Mary Ann but there is a Diamond family living at 17 Portugal Street, Hutcheston in the Gorbals area of Glasgow

Manus Diamond, age 48 - hammerman
Agnes Diamond,age 44

Children
Sarah, 16 : Mary Ann, 13 : Eliza,11 : Agnes,8 : Catherine, 6 : John, 3 & Peter 8 Months

Although there are similarities with the family you have listed , given the differences there is also doubt that this is the same family.

Offline ab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 April 08 05:13 BST (UK) »
Thankyou ever so much for your prompt reply.   These are actually my people. I was deciphering a hard to read marriage transcript,  but having your details I can see that it does look more like "Manus"and not James, as well as hammerman not stonemason as I quoted.   Also Elizabeth Diamond [My G.Grandmother]was married at st. John,s church in Portugal St.   Apart from Mary Ann Diamond [Elizabeths sister] I did not know any other siblings, so a huge thanks for your help. It is so wonderful to gain so much info. in one hit.        Without doubt the best genealogy site on the web.     Regards,  Anne.

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 April 08 08:20 BST (UK) »
Well done Falkyrn .................From the IGI www.familysearch.org - to your couple

PETER DIAMOND -
Birth: 15 JUL 1860 Hutchesontown, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

JOHN DIAMOND  Birth: 26 JUN 1857 Hutchesontown, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

You will be able to get copies of the extracts (£1.20 each), from the pay per view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.  Free to register and look around.  Min. spend £6 - allows for 5 downloads.  Regards,   Steve 

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 April 08 10:40 BST (UK) »
here is the same family in the 1851 census living at 2 Edwin Place , Gorbals

Manus Diamond age 38, Blacksmith , born Ireland
Agness Diamond , age 37, born Rothesay Isle of Bute
Charles, age 9 (not in the 1861 census for the family) : Sarah age 6 : Mary Ann age 4 & Elizabeth age 1

Also listed as living with them are there

John McPherson age 60 & Mary McPherson age 74 both are  listed as former paupers from Cowal in Argyll - they would appear to be Agnes's parents as Manus is described as son in law (John McPherson is actually the head of the household and the Diamond family are living with them and not as I had initially presumed)

Offline ab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 April 08 08:06 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Falkyrn,      To have provided me with so much new information is wonderful.   I can,t thankyou enough.
   Your effort is extremely  appreciated.
                                                         Anne.

Offline Baanman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 September 08 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne, my family is descended from Manus/Agnes ->Mary Ann/Robert Hart -> Margaret Hart.  Margaret was born 10/7/1881 in Govan Glasgow, died 18/4/1915.  She married my GGrandfather Lawrence Garvie Cunningham .  Here is a picture of him in the army.  he is sitting front left

I have other information if you want ot compare.

BC
Sneddon, Cunningham, Hart, McKerrell, White, Duncan, Burgess, Sutherland, Mays

Offline ab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 September 08 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hello B C,    Thanks so much for your email.   I would be thrilled to gain any information I can  relating to the Diamond clan.   My connection is with Elizabeth ,Manus,s daughter b.2/7/1851. She married Crichton Darroch in Glasgow 1868 and migrated to South  Australia 1885. She died 12/2/1896  in Brompton Sth.Aust.  Do you happen to know where in Ireland  Manus originated? I have a feeling that it was Kilrea,Derry.   Also thank you for the photo.I don,t have any "old"   photos at all,so enjoyed seeing that.
  Thanks again and hope to hear from you again soon.
                                                              Anne.