Author Topic: Diamond Family Glasgow  (Read 13924 times)

Offline Baanman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diamond Family Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne, I can give you some more information - most of it the same as other replies, but there might be something you can use.

John McPherson(1791-??) married (20th Oct 1812 ) Mary Black(1777-??) in Rothesay, Bute.  John's father listed as Donald McPherson.  Mary's father listed as James Black  The docs I have - it looks like John & Mary were born in Coul?  Don't have any dates for the fathers.

They had two daughters - Agnes (15/8/1813 in rothesay) and Mary (dob 12/9/1820 in Rothesay).

Agnes died 18/2/1894 in Govan Poorhouse of liver cancer.

Manus diamond is a mystery - I only know he was born in Ireland around 1813 - I can find no record of his death.  I know he died sometime between 1860 and 1891.

Their children

Mary Anne Diamond (1848) - married (1869) a Robert Hart (1846) - I can send you a complete tree from this line as it is my ancestors.  Mary Anne died in 1909.  They had a bucket load of kids - James Hart (19/6/1869-??), Sarah Jane Hart(21/2/1867), Catherine (Kate) Hart (6/10/1874) married(1904) a James Paterson (1881-??), Jane hart (6/11/1878-10/11/1896), margaret Hart(10/7/1881) - Married(1911) Lawrence Garvie Cunningham(1884-1950), Mary Ann Hart (8/5/1884-??), Agnes Hart(12/2/1869-??), Robert Hart(8/11/1891-??)

Charles Diamond (1842) - married a Susan mclachan - they had 4 kids - Elizabeth Diamond (1869-1903), Samuel Diamond (1900-??), Vincent Diamond (1905-??), Johnny Diamond (1908-??).  I have access to this line if you require it.

Sarah Diamond (1845 - 1917) - married (1865) John Brannigan (??-??).  Had one child that I know of - Elizabeth Brannigan

Elizabeth - you know about

Agnes Diamond (1853-??)

Catherine Diamond (1855-??)

John Diamond (26/6/1857-??)

Peter Diamond (15/7/1860- ??)

My tree is on www.GenesReunited.co.uk if you need to view it.

I am still searching, so if I find anything more, I will let you know.
Best regards, Brian
Sneddon, Cunningham, Hart, McKerrell, White, Duncan, Burgess, Sutherland, Mays

Offline Baanman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 September 08 20:15 BST (UK) »
Anne,
 :)As luck would have it, I just found the death certificate of Manus Diamond.  It was actually registered under Magnus Diamond.  No wonder we couldn't find it.

He died on Aug 3rd 1867 in Glasgow of Chronic Bronchitis.  Address 10 Bedford Lane.  Witness was wife Agnes McPherson/Diamond.

Age 53, this would give his year of birth as 1814.  I had an approx date of 1813 from previous docs.

Mother and father (both deceased) listed as

Charles Diamond (farmer)
Sadie McPhail

Brian
Sneddon, Cunningham, Hart, McKerrell, White, Duncan, Burgess, Sutherland, Mays

Offline ab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 September 08 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,
        I am amazed and excited with all the new info. that you have provided,  thankyou so much. To actually have names for Manus ,s parents  as well as the McPhersons is incredible.
  It will take me some time to decipher through it all.  I am afraid I probably can,t offer you much in exchange,as far as I know only Elizabeth Diamond/Darroch came to Australia. She was my G.Grandmother. I do have all her children, if you are interested.   Thanks again and  if I do come accross anything new I will let you know.   Regards   Anne.

Online Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 September 17 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I, too, am looking at a DIAMOND family in Glasgow.

Martin DIAMOND was a Chelsea Pensioner, born 1798 give or take 5 years, in Ireland.  His place of birth was, I think, Magherafelt, County Derry (Londonderry).  His wife was Isabella.  The family seemed to have crossed the water a few times.  In the 1841 they were in Savoy street, Glasgow and in the 1851 Dalmarnock Road.

FindMyPast have an 1851 "Communicants and Converts" record for for a Martin DIAMOND at St. Columbkilles, in Rutherglen.

The children in 1841 appear to be:

Age   Approx year of birth
Thos Diamond         20     1716-1721
Sarah Diamond        13    1828
Daniel Diamond       11    1830
William Diamond      4      1836

My guess is that there could be more children who did not suruve or who had left home by 1841.

By 1861 the widow, Isabella, and the three youngest children had moved to Manchester, England.

Does this family connect, please?

Cheers

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

Have you used www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk? Free to search once you have registered. They have the RC records online, including in the 'other' database (Status Animarum, Communicant and Confirmation).

For 1851, at Rutherglen, St Columbkille's, there is also a Catherine Diamond, apart from Martin, Isabella and Sarah.

At that church, there are also further entries in 1848, 1851 and 1855.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 08:26 BST (UK) »
Thank's for the heads up.

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 08:30 BST (UK) »
Manus = Magnus, same, same!  ;D

Skoosh.