Author Topic: Ann Stark Greig.  (Read 3703 times)

Offline ericabrenda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Stark Greig.
« on: Saturday 12 April 08 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have already posted this request on Beginners, but it doesn't appear to be read very much, obviously not many beginners. so here I go again.
 I am trying to trace a family member named Ann Stark Greig born 1828 to William Greig and Janet Mortimer in Dundee.  I have found her birth certificate and also a reference to her in the Dundee Howff alongside an entry for David Greig. The reference is in the right hand column usually reserved for parents or spouse, it just reads See Ann Stark. Can anyone shed light on this. Q. Where would you "See" as there are no entries for Ann Stark (Greig) anywhere. I have been unable to find a marriage or death for Ann Stark Greig. She seems to have disappeared. Can anyone help. Thanks

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Stark Greig.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 April 08 11:18 BST (UK) »
I think the entry on Howff file for David Greig/Ann Stark may be a red herring. The Ann Stark showing as wife to David Greig, shipmaster, would look to be his wife.  There is a couple with these names having children in Dundee from 1809-25.

In respect of the Ann Stark Greig, daughter of William and Janet Mortimer, I cannot see anything for her in 1841. On the Howff list there may is one entry which could relate to her death:

3790    Greig    Ann    25 Mar 1830, age at death 21 mths. b. Dundee, cause of death Teething

There is one other child that I could see for William and Janet, Samuel b. 1831. He shows age 10 in 1841 in Dundee as Samuel Gregor/Greig, no other Greigs showing in the large list for that address (Dundee Cowgat Crolls Land). Is Samuel the line that you are trying to trace back or were there more children born to William and Janet?

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 April 08 11:51 BST (UK) »
hi monica  :)

other children had mother's name as jess and jessie

there is also a marriage for a david grieg and ann stark
10th sep. 1803 forgan fife which might be related

i was also thinking that ann stark greig may have died young

ev

ps on IGI william greig born 19th may 1804 baptised 28th may 1804  forgan
     fife parents david greig  & ann stark....... i wonder  :-\   
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ericabrenda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 April 08 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica and Ev,
My, you ladies are quick with the replies. Thanks so much.

I had also wondered whether Ann Stark Greig had died very young but the entry in Howff's had me stumped.  I hadn't taken into account that there actually was an Ann Stark, married to David Greig. An early death would also explain why she is not listed with her brothers, William Gregory(Greig) 15 and Samuel Gregor (Greig) at Dundee Cowgat Crolls Land. They are there with Bell Mortimer (50) which is probably Aunt Isabell, Janet's sister. There are a number of Mortimer youths listed. I have traced Janet Greig (Mortimer) mother to London, married in 1837 to James Forbes. The marriage certificate lists her as widow. In the 1851 England Census Samuel Greig is residing with Janet Forbes and James Forbes, listed as 'son'. Brother William married and moved south by 1861 with his family. So now it seems I have them all accounted for.

Ev us right when she says the other children, William and Ann's birth certificates give mothers name as Jessie or Jess, that's how I was able to find the marriage, she went under the name of Jessie Grigg. Fortunately the English marriage certificates have the fathers names - it being Samuel Mortimer, I knew I had the right one. But there is no sign of Ann anywhere, so I will assume she died young.

Perhaps you could help with another query. What is Dundee Cowgat Crolls Land and why would there be so many young people seemingly "residing" there?

Thanks again, ericabrenda

Offline ericabrenda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 April 08 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Forgot to mention, Yes, it is Samuel to whom I am related.

Thanks again.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 April 08 12:48 BST (UK) »
hi

"cowgat crolls land"

cowgate - when dundee was a walled city there were a number gates
into leading into it (8 maybe  ???)
cowgate , overgate , nethergate, wellgate , seagate , marketgate, stannergate , murraygate
crolls land - there were tenement house's(multi-storey flats) in dundee
housing large families , so there could be 30 or so children in each block(or land)before street addresses these blocks could be know by the owner's name
i.e. croll

ev

http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/photodb/wc0685.htm
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 April 08 12:49 BST (UK) »
Dundee Cowgat Crolls Land, would have been a tenement or ' land ' in the Cowgate of Dundee, all long gone for slum clearance.  In the 1840's there was a great influx of immigrants from the surrounding countryside and Ireland.  The Cowgate was surrounded by mills, the largest being Baxter Brothers Linen mill, hence the number of youngsters residing in the ' land '.  Sadly child labour was common place at that time in our history.  Hope this helps
Jen
Kincardineshire - Beattie Dickson Tavendale Donaldson Whyte Wishart
Forfar - Adam Grindlay Easson Fyffe Livestone Wilson Fairweather Boath
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland
Angus - Saunders, McGregor Richardson  Moore.
Inverness-shire - McLean (I hope)

Offline ericabrenda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 April 08 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Ev,
Thanks for all that info on Cowgat, Crolls Land. I understand it all a lot better now thanks to you.

regards ericabrenda

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 April 08 13:30 BST (UK) »
ericabrenda

with ref. to my earlier reply
it might be possible that david greig and ann stark were the parents
of your william greig(born 1804 forgan fife ?)
as monica has noted david and ann were in dundee and had children(1806 to
1825)

1841 census(freecen)(grieg =greig ?)
cowgate dundee angus
ann grieg(mrs) 50 lodging house keeper born outside census county
hay grieg(female) 20 born angus
helen grieg 20 born angus
isobella grieg 18 born angus
jane grieg 16 born angus

if ages rounded down in this census , then mrs ann greig could be
ann stark born 29th july 1786 baptised 6th august 1786 forgan fife
parents george starke and elizabeth dykes(IGI)

hard to prove but worth keeping in mind  :-\

ev