Author Topic: advice about fiche please.  (Read 2806 times)

Offline jackie s-o-t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
advice about fiche please.
« on: Saturday 15 January 05 21:17 GMT (UK) »
hi

can anybody tell me if the fiche at the library would all look the same, i have tried to find a birth again but the fiche for shropshire births between 1855 and 1857 are terrible at my library, if they are the same where else would i find info on a birth, any advice appreciated.

kind regards

jackie.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: advice about fiche please.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 April 06 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie

As the birth you mention is after 1837, when Civil Registration begain in England and Wales, you can search online for a birth in the registration index.

Ancestry and 1837online have the complete version of the index, although you will have to pay to view any search results.  FreeBMD is free to use but only has an incomplete version of the index.

Post the details of the person you are looking for and I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 April 06 08:30 BST (UK) »
Yes and no.
In general they all come from the same masters and if the fault is on the master it will reproduce on the copies (even those available online).

Having said that sometimes the copies were over or under exposed and differences in legibility do arise. In addition as the fiche are used scratches and marks develop on the fiche gradually making them illegible, in a similar manner marks appear on the set of films used as "masters" and these are eventually re-mastered from the archived copy.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 April 06 09:12 BST (UK) »
The full BMD are free to search on www.ancestry.co.uk at the moment.  Choose the Beta option.  You may have to be a bit inventive with your searching as some of the names are not transcribed very accurately.  I think it looks as if it has been scanned in and the computer has had difficulty recognising the difference between letters  Mc is muddled with Ma for instance.   However, beggars can't be choosers and it is a great boon to have anything for nothing.
Andrea