Author Topic: Butti family 1796  (Read 39371 times)

Offline SEW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Butti family 1796
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 02:44 BST (UK) »
I'm a descendant of Louis Guiseppe BUTTI and recently spent a weekend in Edinburgh.  We discovered a curbstone outside the address of the family shop (7 Queen Street) with the name BUTTI carved into it.  The shop/house has been stripped inside and turned into open-plan offices.

I've just put our family tree WATSON onto Ancestry.co.uk.

Also very interested in finding out details of L G Butti's arrival in Britain...

Offline caraid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
Havn't come across a Louis GUISEPPE Butti, but the Queen St. adress was that of James Alexander Butti. I don't know when James's father Loius Joseph Butti came to Scotland, but in 1824, a company called ZENONE & BUTTI, carvers and gilders was dissolved. This company was owned by John Zenone & Loius Butti.
In March 1861, James Alexander Butti, carver & Gilder of Queen St. was charged with "Exhibiting indecent stereoscopic views for sale". James was eventually dismissed with an admonation.
In Jan 1884, there was an explosion in the shop of James Butti at 7 Queen st. James's son Louis liked to go shooting and was filling his own catridges, when the explosion occured. He was injured and taken to the Royal Infirmary. These articles are out of the Scotsman.
It's nice to know that there is a stone and next time I'm in Edinburgh I will go and see it.

Fiona

Offline SEW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 June 08 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona,

Great to hear from you.  We found a couple of wills online but hadn't been through any local papers so it was great to hear a bit more about the Buttis.

I thought Louis Joseph was Luigi Guiseppe.  (Died 26 SEP 1868, South Leith, Midlothian, Scotland.)Does that tie up with what you have?

Sarah  :)

Offline caraid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 June 08 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just looked back my info. Loius Butti, Glassmaker, Leith Wynd married 1st to Elspeth Waterston(she was residing in Forfar) in 1822.
 Louis Butti, Shopkeeper, Leith married 2nd Elizabeth Mitchell 23 Nov 1829. They were married by Rev James Mckay, Catholic Clergyman.
In 1841 they were residing in Leith and Louis was an Optician
In 1851 they were residing at 2 Springfield, Leith and Loius was a Carver & Gilder
In 1861 still at 2 Springfield again Carver & Gilder. Just says Italy as birthplace.
Elizabeth died in 1867 at 2 Springfield and Loius died in 1868, sameplace, parents unknown
Thats basically all I have on him
Fiona

Offline jc.bloxsidge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 October 08 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicola
I have just discovered your interest in the Butti family.  My great grandfather on my father's side of the family was Alexander Butti and I have a lot of information about the family and am trying to find information about the Italian side in Italy.  I am English.

Would be interested to hear from you

Josie

melness

« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 October 08 11:53 BST (UK) »
HI

I'm interested in Alexander's brother Louis Joseph Butti ( mainly in Scotland). Any information on where when he was born and parents details would be fantastic.

Sent a PM

regards

melness

« Reply #24 on: Saturday 18 October 08 12:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry Josie havent sent PM

regards

Offline jc.bloxsidge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 18 October 08 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy
This is the first time that I have answered anything on this site so I hope that all goes well. The information that I have is as follows
Firstly I have no proof that Alexander and Louis are brothers.  I am busily trying to find their parents in Italy at the moment.  I have been to Edinburgh to the records office, have seen the houses where they lived and have seen the name in the curbstone outside one of the houses.
Louis Joseph Butti b, 1794 Italy Carver and guilder like Alexander
d.26/9/1868 Edinburgh  m. Elizabeth Mitchell formerly Nolli who was born 1804 in Newcastle and died 9/5/1867.  Her husband was John Nolli and they had one son John Bartholomew Nolli b. 1827 d 1891
Louis and Elizabeth had the following children
Monsignor Peter Butti, a Catholic priest 1847 Edinburgh -1932 Aberdeen
Elizabeth b.1834 d.19/7/1881  m Hugh Home 18/9/1856 Edinburgh had 9 children
James Alexander 1831 St Cuthberts Midlothian dc.1897   m Eleanor Whilehead, formerly Goulay 27/4/1854 Edinburgh and had 7 children
George Anthony bc1838 d.5/6/1896 (he hanged himself) m Elizabeth Home formerly Bach 10 or 16/2/1861 Liverpool  she died 25/7/1896 and they had 4 children.

As far as I know this is accurate but please let me know if there is anything wrong.  Hope that this helps.  Josie

melness

« Reply #26 on: Saturday 18 October 08 14:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Josie

If you do a search online you should find "zenone and butti" trading in Edinburgh just before and after 1820.
I live in Scotland and have been past the premises in Queen St many time but never noticed the pavement marking.
My ancestor was Eliza Home - her second husband was George Butti - they married in 18656 but had a son in 1862 when she was still married to her first husband. The first husband died in 1864. What a carry on!!!!
Do you have any family photos of the Butti's?