Author Topic: Butti family 1796  (Read 39310 times)

Offline Karolee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Butti family 1796
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josie,

Thank you for the info.  I do have most of that and have since recieved a marriage cert for Francis Durk and Maria which states her father was Joseph Butti so that much I have confirmed!  :)
I haven't tried ordering any death certificates yet and wondered if they show place of birth as well??  I have a similar problem with the other side of the family as the census just says "Ireland"....if only they had thought ahead and realised how frustrating the lack of info was going to be!!!!   ???   :)

I can only try and see if there is more birth info on the death certificates....

If I find anymore I'll let you know, but as a direct relative you know far more than I ;D
Durk, O'Connor (Birmingham, Warwickshire, Ireland, Somerset) Lines, Skittles (Slough, Windsor,Hambleden in Oxfordshire, Chesham, Watlington) Taylor (Egham)

Offline SEW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Josie,

I would love to have details of how you found Alexander Butti's date and place of birth in Italy.

My sister, Vicky, who speaks some Italian, is going to the Lake Como area of Italy in the next couple of months to track down Buttis (we're descended from Alexander's brother, Luigi Giuseppe).  It would be great to have any info on Alexander's dates, etc. before she goes.

Thanks and best wishes,

Sarah

Offline jc.bloxsidge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

I have a family bible entry that gives me the information.  Let me know what you want.  I have a lot of information on Louis in Scotland if that helps and Joseph who I think is the 3rd brother.  There is however a Gabriel as well

Tell your sister that my husband and I visited sante Maria Rezonnica which is on the lake and it is the wrong one.  The receptionist at our hotel got the priest to open his books for us.

There is another Santa Maria at the Como end of the lake and most of the Buttis are up there.  The receptionis contacted a priest at the other church but he did not reply.  We also wrote to various people but received not reply.

My email is (*) which should make it easier for us to communicate.  I shall find the address of the other priest if you will send me your email.

Good to hear from you.  Josie

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline govan37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 16 April 09 13:05 BST (UK) »
hi all

I'm descended through Eliza Home who married George A Butti 1865 Liverpool.
Any indication when Louis Joseph was born in the family bible.
I would like to hear of any info you may have on the "Scottish" Butti's.

regards and thanks

Andy

Offline caraid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 16 April 09 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy
I do not think anyone can at the moment say for sure where in Italy the Butti's originated. I have quiet a lot of info on the Scottish Butti side.  Just wondering who you are decsended from in the George and Eliza family. Havn't yet gone down the George Home & Margaret Cameron side yet. Just let me know if you want any more info.

Yours
Fiona

Offline govan37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 18 April 09 11:28 BST (UK) »
Descended via Eliza Home and her first marriage to Robert Bach 1832-1864.

George Home married Ann Cameron - note it is Ann Cameron. The family appear in Edinburgh 1841 census on Free cen. SEarch under Hugh Home - think it is St Cuthberts district.

George dies between 1841 - 1851  Ann died about 1861. I have her certificate from scotlandspeople. The various Home children married and lived in Edinburgh.

Andy

Any old photographs of these folks?

Offline Dear Potto

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 21 April 09 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hello All

I am SEW's sister Vicky and I've been trying to find out more about the Buttis (Luigi Giuseppe and his potential siblings Alexander of London and Giuseppe of Taunton - have I got that right?) before they came to the UK. A kind Dutchman has found out the following for me concerning Donatus Butti and Sons, fine instrument makers of Amsterdam. Donatus Butti arrived in Amsterdam from Milan in 1794. Clearly he is not the father of our three but could possibly be the uncle and possibly the chap with whom our three served their apprenticeships. More investigating is being done.

"According to the Amsterdam baptism records ('doopregisters'), online at https://stadsarchief.amsterdam.nl/archieven/archiefbank/indexen/doopregisters/zoek/index.nl.html

Donato (Donatus) Butti and Helena Maria Barnasconi had seven children (two daughters and five sons):
Carlo Antonio Gaetano (17 December 1794)
Antonius Franciscus Carolus (18 February 1796)
Maria Theresia Elizabeth (27 January 1798)
Maria Marta Helena (10 October 1799)
Albertus Franciscus Faustinus (15 February 1807)
Franciscus Alexander Bernardus (20 August 1808)
Giuseppe Giovanni Pietro (25 June 1810)

I am looking for more information about Donatus and will post as soon as I find anything out...

Offline morella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 25 March 10 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello! I've just stumbled on this thread and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help.
I'm a student at the University of Edinburgh. I'm doing a research project on Italian language maintenance among the Scotsitalian community and on its role in shaping the identity of successive generations of Italian immigrants.
If you're a Scotsitalian (no matter whether you speak Italian or not) or have Italian ancestors (no matter how remote they may be) and think you could spare 5 minutes (honestly, it won't take more than that) to fill up a questionnaire I would be very grateful. Please send me a private message and I'l forward the questionnaire to you.
Thanks a lot
Katia

Offline jc.bloxsidge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 29 March 10 19:43 BST (UK) »
You have probably found Louis Butti in Edinburgh.  You may or may not know that there is a kerb stone outside the house in which they lived with the Butti name on it.  You may also not know that it is believed that 3 brothers came overt from Italy and they were all artisans.  Louis in Edinburgh , Alexander, my great great grandfather in London and Joseph in Somerset.  There is also a Vincent Butti a weaver in Scotland and his son Vincent.
The only way that we can prove that the three men are brothers is to find their parents.  I know that Alexander was born 2/8/1800 in Santa Maria nr Como Italy.  We visited Santa Maria Rezonica and it was not there but there is a Santa Maria in Lecco but we have not been able to establish if this is where he was born.  If in your work you find the parentage of any of these men I should be glad to know about it.
I know nothing much about Vincent or his son.  A Mr Butti, presumably Louis, is
 mentioned in Gladstone's diary when he was in Edinburgh.  Hope this helps.