Author Topic: Surname Broll/Brawl/Broal Wigtownshire  (Read 17385 times)

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Broll/Brawl/Broal Wigtownshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 June 08 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget and Sancti,

I did have the information on John Broll/Brawl etc baptism but it just goes to show you're never too old to learn because I didn't know he was the son of the late John B. Definately need to go through the OPR /Kirk Sessions. Sancti I did have the information on John B/Mary Mc's children but not the John b 1818 to Jane Broll so will also pick that up.

Thank you both very much for taking the time to look at my query and by the way Gadget, he is a she!! Everyone makes the same mistake, it's the spelling. I have put the story of this in my 'tree'. I was the first child and my mum and dad had only thought of a boys name. My dad had said to my mum at the bedside 'well what are we going to call her' He had taken my mum a box of Terry's All Gold and she said I like that name Terry so that's the story of how I got my name!! My dad said my grandad said thank goodness you didn't take her a box of Bassets Liquorice Allsorts. All true!!

Anyway thanks again to you both much appreciated.

Terry (she)
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 June 08 09:43 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

I like liquorice!

I'm sure the old coach routes are linked in and have you checked out the Northumberland Browells?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 June 08 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Yes I have looked at the Northumberland Browells but couldn't come up with anything. I have just recently picked this line up again I took early retirement in May and now have more time to spend on my tree so today I am going to sit down and refresh myself with the Hall/Brawl Broll family. No I had not been through the Wigtown Free Press I just picked up that one yesterday later on so will do that. John must have died relatively young I am assuming unless Sarah and John were the last children rather than the first but going by the fact that there appears only to be the now 3 Brolls John 1800 Sarah 1796 and Janet giving birth to John in 1818. As this John 1818 has no father named I assume illegitimate, strangely enough Sarah also had an illegitimate daughter  called Jane Pettigrew b 1816

Sarah would have been born 1796 aged 75 1871  85  1881 and died 1882 aged 86.

You have given me much to think about am going to do a bit of digging this afternoon especially on the coach routes. 

Thanks again

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Offline cogan83

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 March 09 20:39 GMT (UK) »

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 March 09 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cogan83, :)

If your 6g grandfather is the John Broll/Brawl who married Mary McMechan etc then I guess we will be related. Unfortunately I have found no further information on John Brawl/Broll senior, my information is quite sparse on this family.

I have followed my line from Sarah to present day quite successfully but as I say not beyond her parents. :(

I have 7 children being born to John and Mary McMechan and I think marriages for 3 of them and children from one of the marriages. Which line did you come down.

Terry

Offline cogan83

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 March 09 10:32 GMT (UK) »

Offline cogan83

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 March 09 10:33 GMT (UK) »

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 March 09 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gogan,

I actually have Mary on my tree as McMeikan but I do remember going through so many different ways to spell it when I looked at this family. I'm sure I found 5/6 different spellings for her.

Children I have are

Annie b 1824 d 4/2/1907
John  b  19/8/1825 Kirkcolm  d bfr 1831
Janet b 12/11/1826 Kirkcolm
Mary b 13/8/1828 Kirkcolm
John  c 8/5/1931  Kirkcolm    m Jane McCulloch
James c 28/10/1834 Kirkcolm   poss m Barbara McCulloch 25/3/1855
Elizabeth abt 1838

All these children except the first John and Annie are with John and Mary in the 1841 census

My Line

John Broll/Janet Stewart
Andrew Hall/Sarah Broll/Brawl (sister) to your John
Frances Anne Hall/William Burn
Sarah Hall Burn/John Roxburgh
Frances Hall Roxburgh/Thomas Borthwick
Robert Hastie/Isabella Borthwick
Mum and Dad
Me

I see we are on the same generation we both have
 John Broll/Janet Stewart as 5g grandparents, I quickly put your line into my tree and it tells me we are 6th cousins :o

Is your line still in Scotland? I've had no luck at all finding any Brolls. I think I did note that there was an Ian Broll Undertaker in Wigtownshire and I'm positive they will be related. I always meant to write. I really want to find out about the origins of the name, is it Irish. I also looked at Browell in Northumberland but couldn't come up with anything.

Do you have any ideas on this???

Terry

Offline cogan83

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 March 09 19:52 GMT (UK) »