Author Topic: Margaret Hay - wife of David Hepburn  (Read 22414 times)

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Hay - wife of David Hepburn
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 00:48 BST (UK) »

Hello Monica,

Many thanks for your kindness in confirming the father's name of Margaret Hay. It's pretty clear that the age of Margaret Hay when she died on the 15th February, 1864 at Prinlaws, Leslie is incorrect on the Death Certificate. It is given as 1885, and explains why I merely "pencilled in" a birthdate of 1779.

As you will have seen from my latest postings, I have been having a look at the Hay family living around Rumbling Bridge, Cleish, Kinross, etc., but, basically there are quite a few options relating to a John Hay. It's the same for Janet More (Moore?). All I know is that she died of childbirth in 1779. However, that brings me back to a birthdate of 1779 for her daughter, Margaret! It really is like being on a merrygoround, isn't it?

Again, I greatly appreciate your continuing support.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 09:10 BST (UK) »
Tom

The date of 1783 for Margaret Hay from the OPRs is for her christening.  She could well have been born earlier (1779 if you are certain of Janet Mo(o)re's death).

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 April 08 10:30 BST (UK) »

Hello Monica,

Nice to hear from you. I've spent the entire day combing through my notes and feel a bit glum about the results. To be frank, I'm not too happy about the lack of info on Andrew Hepburn, the "assumed" father of David Hepburn, who married Margaret Hay.

One thing that I did do was to take a long, cool look at the names of his children - one in particular: Cecilia Hepburn b/chr 7th November, 1781 at Leslie in Fife. Try as I may, I couldn't find another Cecilia in the Hepburn family before that date. However, I actually did find a Cecilia Reekie (spelling option!) who was christened on the 27th December, 1741 at Cults in Fife. Her parents were James Reekie (spelling option!) and Ann Brown who married on 19th February, 1741. There are two Extracted Marriage Records for the same day. One at Cults in Fife, and the other at Kennoway in Fife.

When I look at the date of the marriage of Andrew Hepburn to Janet Reekie, i.e. 6th July, 1764 (extracted), that gives me a rough idea of when the birth date would be. Can't find a damned thing that makes any sense!

What is quite frustrating, is that time and time again, I appear to be taken back to my old "clapped-out" Family Tree - to the Hepburns of Abbotshall. People like David Hepburn who married Janet Murrie in June 1688, their son, David Hepburn who married Christian Staines in July 1716, Alexander Hepburn who married Agnes Reid in March, 1793, and so on and so forth. All of that I covered quite extensively on my postings on the Hepburn's some time ago. However, the big problem is that David Hepburn, who married Margaret Hay, appears to have died some time after the birth of his son, John Hepburn who was born in 1826 and christened in 1830. That means - no Death Certificate!

Well, I'm rattling on like Thomas the Tank, so I'll just say, thanks a million for the continuing support.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline Charles ES Elder

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 11:30 GMT (UK) »
TOM !!!!!

You could well be my salvation, I am related to the very same David Hepburn and Margaret Hay, however I cant find one scrap of info on Davids DOB or DOD, therfore stoppig me from moving up my tree.  Re Margaret I have their date of marraige her DOD and her birth c1779. I'm praying that your still around on here as I really am stuck, it would appear from this that you and I are connected.
Any help would be appreciated

Kind Regards

Chaz

Offline Kinross Museum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 15:23 BST (UK) »
One Grave in Crook of Devon 74A

"John Hay late farm servant at Aldie Castle 30.10.1848 73"

Kinross Museum is independent, Owned by a Charitable Trust
(Scottish Charity no. SC 027144) and run by Friends and volunteers.
It is financed by donations, Friends' subscriptions, fund-raising events, grants, and sales from the Museum shop. Entry to the museum is free.