Author Topic: "Midwife Sick"in 1891  (Read 3640 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
"Midwife Sick"in 1891
« on: Tuesday 15 April 08 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
Have just come across an occupation entry of "Midwife Sick" in an 1891 Census in Langford, Beds.
Now, what kind of qualification was needed to become a midwife in those days, or indeed what kind of status did it carry?
keith

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Midwife Sick"in 1891
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 12:48 BST (UK) »
Victorian occupations describes " midwife" as "experienced woman who assists in childbirth"

I know in the mining area where my ancestors were from there was a woman (no qualifications) who was classed as "the midwife" -she would be called upon when anyone in the village was giving birth -and needed assistance - she would be paid a few shillings -she also was sent for when anyone died to "lay them out" -  skills which had been passed down from her mother and grandmother before her. I was led to believe there was such a woman in each village

The one who was "midwife" in our area - Lucy -was her name - I remember her as a very old lady in 1950s.

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 12:51 BST (UK) »
Very interesting, Suzard,
And thanks very much for responding to my query...
keith

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 12:54 BST (UK) »
As far as status- she was always described as a "good" woman - so held in esteem in the area.
Also in her later years she was asked/employed to "dress the bride" before the bride  left for her wedding.

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 12:58 BST (UK) »
In 1869 a report of a survey, by the London Obstetrical Society, found that the majority of working class confinements were attended by untrained, ignorant and incompetent midwives.
However it was not until 1902 when the Midwives Act (2 Edw.VII,c.1 7) created the Central Midwives Board with responsibility for the registration of midwives, rules for their training and examination, and the regulation of their practice, limited the use of the term "midwife"; and made the councils of the counties and county boroughs the local supervising authorities.

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 13:02 BST (UK) »
The Matron's Aid, or Trained Midwives Registration Society was founded in October 1881, and no qualifications were required to practice midwifery, though many of the founding members probably held the London Obstetrical Society's Diploma. In the 1880s, in London, The Queen Charlotte's Hospital trained midwives and monthly nurses, and Trained Nurses were supplied by "The Wigmore Trained Nurses Institute" and "The General Nursing Institute." (advertised in The Times)

Stan

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Stan,
Things slowly became regulated, then.  I believe to be a midwife in earlier times often brought with it accusations of witchcraft...
keith

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 13:58 BST (UK) »
Here's a link to an article about "Monthly" Nurses, "Sick" Nurses and Midwives in Toronto in the nineteenth century http://tinyurl.com/55aq8a

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 14:27 BST (UK) »
Wow! Christopher,
That was quite a read, but a very informative one nevertheless.  I like the idea that if you were a midwife who said that you came from somewhere back in the Old Country, such as Bath, this somehow meant that you had more of a well established background and credibility...
keith