Author Topic: Drumacoon School, Newbliss - anyone go there?  (Read 13197 times)

Offline coraspoint

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Drumacoon School, Newbliss - anyone go there?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Kate, my mother was Eileen Sherry. I have a considerable amount of detail on the Sherrys. I think we should get in touch. Could you let me have your email?
Richard.

Offline coraspoint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Kate, if you prefer, you may email to: (*)
Richard

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline coraspoint

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Angela,

I would be very interested in seeing any other photos that you may have of Sherrys in Drumacoon. My uncle was Eddie Sherry and it was his mother (my grandmother) Bridget who was midwife at your mum's birth. She was married to my grandfather James Sherry, a journalist in Newbliss. I might be able to provide other information if you are interested.

Many thanks. Richard.

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard

Now that you have made 3 posts you can use the PM system. I have already sent other photos from the Newbliss area to Kate as well as lists of the principal inhabitants of Newbliss during the early 20th Century. Mrs B Sherry (Bridget?), Francis Sherry, E. P. Sherry (Eddie?) and James Sherry are all mentioned in various lists. If you are interested I can send information to you. There were members of my family in Newbliss until the 1950s.

Regards
Angela

Offline DJLee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 November 09 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,
Some of my relatives lived in the Newbliss area (Townland of Carolina) and I would be grateful if you would also email me with any photos or information on the Newbliss area.

William John Lee married Mary McKeon married in St. John's Parish Church at Dartry in 1852.  They moved to the townland of Carolina and four or five of their children were born there before moving to Belfast.

The Lee Family were originally from Monaghan town and the McKeon family were from Kilmore West in the Newbliss area.

Thanks in anticipation, I will PM you with my email address.

Best regards
David Lee
My emails are not working sorry
Lee              County Monaghan & County Cavan.  Belfast from 1865
McKeon        County Monaghan & County Cavan
Creighton     County Tyrone
Jameson       County Sligo

Offline jimgs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 May 14 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm a bit late seeing this, but I went to Drumacoon School in the 50s. There are 2 of my aunts, Eileen and Marcella Sherry are in the photos. My father was the E.P.(Eddie) Sherry mentioned in the earlier posts. I also see my cousin, Richard has posted earlier and he has good info on the family history.

My childhood was spent living about 200 yards from the school and I was lucky to visit the building some years ago and being shown around, what is now a private house, by the current owner. I'd be intersted in any photos from the school in the 1950s.

Offline angelan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hello jimgs

Welcome to roots chat. It has taken me a couple of days to check out information I have about Newbliss. Your father Eddie Sherry was a good friend of my 3 uncles. He was probably around the same age as my two younger uncles, but was also a good friend of the oldest (my mother's half brother) who was about a decade older.

I have a copy of some information written by Eddie Sherry recalling his early days in Newbliss with particular reference to my older uncle. My cousin was researching the family over 30 years ago and he visited Newbliss to interview various elderly residents who remembered his father who grew up there during the early decades of the last century.

I have just re-read the two pages of Eddie Sherry's memories and it appears that all three of my uncles were often in the company of Eddie Sherry and there are references to Eddie's early driving experience as a 13/14 year old driving my uncle's Model T Ford van when he accompanied my Uncle John on business trips.

I am sure you would be interested in a copy of this information written by your father if you haven't already seen it. Please don't post your email address on this site as it would be removed by the moderators. The best way to share information on rootschat is to send a personal message (PM) though I'm not sure if you have to have made several posts on this site to do this.

I was also lucky enough to be shown around Drumacoon school by the owners about 7 years ago. The old school desks were even used to build the staircase. I can let you know what information I have about Drumacoon school and the Newbliss area and will be happy to share anything that's of interest to you.

Regards
Angela