Author Topic: Immigration Northern Italy to England  (Read 6527 times)

Offline gillianbuckley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Immigration Northern Italy to England
« on: Thursday 17 April 08 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am in a bit of a quandary as to how my grandfather came to London from NW Italy.
 His name was Fiore Sartor & he arrived in London about August 1920. He already had his sister & " brothers living in London when he arrived.
 I think he would have probably travelled overland to a French port then to England, then to London. ???
 I have been advised to try the National Archive record but so far I have had no luck. Could it be that I will not be able to find any records for him?  :o Help, Gill

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration Northern Italy to England
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 April 08 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill,

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

There are very few records (shipping lists) for people travelling from continental Europe to Britain.

And naturalisation wasn't obligitary, so if he didn't apply for it, those records won't be in the National Archives.

So it is quite possible that you won't be able to find any records for him.

Any clues in the family stories and legends and myths ??

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline anglokiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 January 14 07:46 GMT (UK) »
I have a similar situation.  gt, gt, grandfather born como, Italy 1847.  story is that he walked to England and I am not sure which port he would have left Europe from.  he went to the potteries in stoke on trent and married there in 1888.  I have not been able to find any shipping record or naturalisation either.

sue
stroud, gatti, gatty, sunderland, mclain, mclane, mclean, fitzgerald, o'brien

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 January 14 07:55 GMT (UK) »
In this case I agree with bob thoroughly.......      however if your family (which in this case it is not) were interred in a POW or refugee camp there is sometimes a Red Cross file......     then if for example they came to Australia there is usually a file with the Dept of Immigration..... which can in the most be found on the National Australian Archives site.

guess u might have to wait to see the 1921 census in a few years time to see if your kin are on it.... or in the meantime find old Post Office Directories to see where they lived........

:)

Offline anglokiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 January 14 08:03 GMT (UK) »
 :)thankyou for your interest. my relative too early for the wars though they were having civil war in Italy. went to England not Australia.   
stroud, gatti, gatty, sunderland, mclain, mclane, mclean, fitzgerald, o'brien