Author Topic: Finding my mother's aunts and uncles  (Read 4994 times)

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Finding my mother's aunts and uncles
« on: Sunday 16 January 05 11:16 GMT (UK) »
I have been conducting a search for my mother's family, of which I have little record because she was an orphan.

Her mother, Jane Davies, had seven brothers and sisters, but her brother Robert Davies does not appear on the 1891,91, or 1901 census along with the rest of the family. The only rough information we have is that in 1922 he was 29 and a chauffeur, working in Waverley, Liverpool, living at 24 Picton St. However, all the family were from Abergele.

We cannot obtain a birth certificate for William Davies either. He appears on the 1901 census aged 9 in Abergele.

The other child that remains a real mystery is Jane's sister Gwen Davies. We believe that it 1922 she kept house for her father in Abergele, but she appears in none of the census' we have looked at.

I would very much appreciate your help in trying to piece together my mother's family. A digital map of liverpool would also be greatly appreciated so I can look at the location of Picton St.

Offline chrissiehope

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Finding my mother's aunts and uncles
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 April 12 19:44 BST (UK) »
Ok, it's 7 years since you posted this, so you've probably solved it by now, but just in case....

I have some info on a Jane Ellen Davies who was a spinster in Abergele in 1899. She had a sister called Annie (who was married to a Robert Davies), and a brother William Davies.
Don't know if this is any connection to your Davieses, but also while writing, I am trying to find info about another lot of Davieses in Abergele....David Davies, probably son of Thomas Davies. David was married to Daisy Helen Thurston Davies (nee not known) amd they had a daughter Margaret and they were in Abergele from early 1900s to about 1976.

If any of this rings a bell, do get in touch  :)

Cheers
Hindley family (Chesh/NWales), Hope family (Chesh), Sheppard family (London), Carlisle family (London), Welch family (London/Notts).
Abergele town/area esp Chapel St/Post Office Lane 1800-1900

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 May 12 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for the info, I am always searching for my family but the names are so common it's hard to tell my Jane did have a brother Robert but he was married to Anne and Jane and RObert did have a brother William, and unsure if my GRandmother had a middle name if she did have it was Patsy from memory I think. Thanks for the info I do have an unwanted BIrth certificate for Daniek Davies 1877 father David mother Fanny primrose hill ST George .

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 May 12 19:57 BST (UK) »
If your Jane was the daughter of a Daniel and Emma (who have the only William aged 9 in Abergele in 1901) then their children Robert and Gwen weren't born until until after 1901 - Robert bc.1902 Abergele, Gwen bc.1906 Abergele and a son John bc.1908 Abergele.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 May 12 08:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Annette, yes these are mine, Jane died in the workhouse, William never married, Gwen died in the 90s .
 I did find a second cousin and his family and was very excited at the time, but they were not interested in family history and i never gleamed any information from them very sad really.
 Spent so long tracing them.Maggie born 1885 was Jane sister who went to Patagonia and I cant find a wedding certificate for her, have her 1910 census, i know she was gone by 1920, but have no grooms name very frustrating.
Have a nice day

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 May 12 09:32 BST (UK) »
Well, looks like she had 8 siblings.    The last census we can see (which is free this weekend on ancestry, but which I can't mention) has

Daniel Davies 47
Emma Davies 46
William 18
Jane 15
Eden 12    -    (prob Evan James, Dec 1898, St Asaph, vol 11b page 305)   Ellen
Robert 9
Gwen 5
John 3

Have a look yourself. 

I think the marriage was 1884,  St Asaph district, vol 11b, page 565  (from freebmd)
Daniel Davies, Emma Jones

St Asaph district covers Abergele.

You need to look at the 1891 Wales census.   I'm not paid up to ancestry at the moment so cannot do it.

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 May 12 09:44 BST (UK) »
deleted, wrong person, information irrelevant.   

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 May 12 10:00 BST (UK) »

her brother Robert Davies does not appear on the 1891,91, or 1901 census along with the rest of the family. The only rough information we have is that in 1922 he was 29 and a chauffeur, working in Waverley, Liverpool, living at 24 Picton St.

Well, he would have been about 19 or 20 going from the records.

There is a Picton Road in Wavertree - looking at google maps.   (I don't think there is a Waverley district in Liverpool)

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 May 12 10:05 BST (UK) »
unsure if my GRandmother had a middle name if she did have it was Patsy from memory I think.

Could it have been Jane Parry Davies ?    Dec 1895, St Asaph birth record ?   (freebmd)