Author Topic: Anyone Looking For Cunningham And Swales In Yorks?  (Read 105257 times)

Offline selinat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Looking For Cunningham And Swales In Yorks?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 08:37 BST (UK) »
hiya .i came across a Hannibal Swales in my research, but i cant remember off the top of my head who he married. my ireland & Hibbs Family are also related to the Forrest Family and the Morrison"s and the Proctor"s . I also Think That The Swales Family Had A funfair in later years ???

Offline ellies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 15:34 BST (UK) »
hi just to let you know some of the swales from pickering married in to the morrisons louisa swales m. jim morrison very early 1900 as they are my cousin grandparents, i will find out louisa swales mother & father i know their are buried at malton

Offline ellies

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 15:38 BST (UK) »
ann what part of you swales was hanable from his dob is 1810

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 17:47 BST (UK) »
From the TOP

James Swales b.cir 1786 married Esther Sowden she was bapt 1794 Holm Apon Spalding Moor Yks, and they were married 1812 at Kirkby Moorside Yks. Their children were:

Thomas c.1812 K.Moorside married 1834 Magdalena Cunningham

Jane c.1814 K.Moorside died infancy

Jeremiah c.1814 K.Moorside m.1834 Elizabeth Cunningham Wilson

James c.1816 K.Moorside m.Mabel Busfield

Hannibal c.1819 K.Moorside m.Prudence Smith d/o William & Eliz.

Jane c.1821 K.Moorside no other info

Mary c.1822 K.Moorside m.Richard Cunningham

Robert c.1824 K.Moorside m. 1846 Ann Davey d/o Wm & Susan

Elizabeth c.1827 K.Moorside no other info

Frank c.1831 K.Moorside no other info

and finally

Christiana Swales c.1829 K.Moorside married Thomas Rhodes b.cir 1820 Tunstall Yks in 1846 at Hull.

Their son Thomas Rhodes b.cir 1846-50  Hull (dates vary) married Jane Cunningham b.cir 1854 York., in 1871 at Hull.

Their daughter Harriett b.cir 1873 Hull, married Ambrose Gray b.1873 Nth Hykeham, a horse dealer. They lived in Boston in a caravan in Frieston Road until about 1906, when they bought a house and settled in the town. When the horse trade died, Ambie turned to Scrap. They were my great grandparents.

Turning to the Cunninghams:

Richard Cunningham b.cir 1790 & Mary Miller b.1793 Cawood Yks d/o Joseph & Magdalen, were married in 1809 at Selby Yks.

Richards sister Grace married a John Wilson in 1814 at Thorne Yk.

Richard and Marys children included:

Richard Cunningham c.1812 Selby married Mary Swales (above)
and Meralina/Megalina/Magdalena Cunningham c.1810 Selby married Thomas Swales (above).

The Elizabeth Cunningham Wilson (above) who married Jeremiah Swales (above) was the daughter of Grace Cunningham and John Wilson (named above) b.1816 K.Moorside.

Hope that all makes sense the intermarriages are so convoluted!

Ann

Offline JamesMoore York

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 July 08 23:11 BST (UK) »
My great grandma is Mary Cunningham from York she married my great granddad Benjamin Moore, if ur from york and u know the travelling families then u will probably know my family, my grandad is called james moore but people call him Jim and my dad the same but call him Jimmy or J.B.
my great granny Mary Cunninghams brother I think is Benjamin Cunningham and her uncle is John Cunningham the VC (Victoria Cross) winner.
im currently trying to do my family tree so you could be of some help
i do know of the swales' through my dad and his cousins but have never met them but Im pretty sure that it will be the same Cunninghams because my great granny was originally from Hull along with the rest of the Cunninghams, my email adress is (*) so if you think I could help you get in touch boss.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Coningesby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 July 08 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
       I don’t know if this adds to the information, but one of my family,
 Rose Cunningham married Francis Swales in 1850 in Scarborough. Francis Swales was born in Pickering in 1831. [He might be the Frank Swales that An65 mentions born 1831?]
Rose Cunningham was the daughter of John Cunningham and his wife Ellen. I think she was baptised at Richmond near Leyburn, Yorkshire in 1833.
The Cunningham family came down to England from Paisley Scotland.

I don’t know what happened to the family of Francis and Rose Swales after the 1851 census at Scarborough. Francis was listed as a Potter, which I think is a type of Hawker [?]

Watson (Worcestershire/Herefordshire/Norfolk/Yorkshire)
Coningesby
(Herefordshire)
Owens
(Westmeath Ireland/Hull east Yorkshire)
Grey (Buildwas Abbey Shropshire)
Hungerford-
 South Marston/Salisbury/Lincolnshire Wilts

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 20:07 BST (UK) »
Ill be back.......... Just trying to recover from yet another PC crash.

Offline robbo43

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Kathie 1932 - 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 January 09 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Don't suppose anyone has come across a Thomas Swales born c1854 in Hampsthwaite, married Sarah Ann Davy 1877 in Knaresborough.  His father was probably Alfred Swale born c1814 Hempsthwaite.  The final s seems to have been optional in the family up to the 1880s or 90s.

Robert
FLOOD - Exeter, Middlesex.  DAVEY - Norfolk, Herts, West Ham.  MILLS - Hampshire.  GARLAND - Sussex.  BRIGHT - Hampshire, GULLIVER - Hampshire, Sussex, London.  NOCKELS - Norfolk.  POMEROY - Exeter.  RANDALL - Sussex, Surrey.  REYNOLDS - Cambridgeshire.  BOWYER - Cambridgeshire & Suffolk.  STUPPELL - Kent.  MISSEN - Cambridgeshire.  TAYLOR - Cambridgeshire.  TOWNSEND - London.  CURTIN - London, GIBBONS - Suffolk, BROWN - Suffolk, SWALE(S) - Yorkshire, GAIN - Sussex

Offline kirky62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 January 09 06:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have both cunninghams and swales in my family.
Jane cunningham born 1851 parents john and Ellen cunningham married John docherty. A lot of the cunninghams born England married into Scottish travelers.

My ancestor Hannibal swales born 1811 Yorkshire married Christiana stephenson. Their daughter laviania swales (1837) married William pattison .Their son George Pattison (1860) married Isabella Farrow.
Hope this helps or someone recognises these names
Lillian