Author Topic: Kendal Parish Records to buy  (Read 20411 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Kendal Parish Records to buy
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, DickieDoodle.

Sorry - didn't mean to sound ungrateful.
 :-[

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Missprim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 09 March 09 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi jillruss,

Can I suggest you try looking for Troughton wills at Lancashire CRO? The court for probate for southern Cumberland and the southern half of Westmorland was the Diocese of Chester so the wills have landed up further south than most people think they could.

Would you believe there is a website with an on-line index which includes wills!!  http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/education/record_office/   I've just done a quick search and found a long list of marriage bonds and wills all for the name Troughton.  You need to look for LANCAT in the column on the left hand side of the screen. 

I don't have any Troughtons in my family so far as I know but I have people named Fisher who lived on Fellside and most of them seem to be weavers or nailers.

Good luck with the search,

Missprim

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Missprim,

Thanks for your reply - and the link. I'm sorry to be so dense, but I'm having difficulties with the online index  :-[.

I put in Troughton under 'Keyword' and all I get is a reference to Dr Who and a couple of other irrelevant items! How did you manage to get all those wills/marriage bonds etc?

Could you possibly talk me through it?

Jill (feeling very stupid!)
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Missprim

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jillruss,

Sorry I should have explained things a lot better.  I normally go into the Lancashire Record Office web site from the home page which has a side column on the left hand side of the screen. Two items from the bottom of the list is "Records Search" click on this and it will open a short menu.  The first item below "Overview" is "LANCAT" (short for Lancashire Record Office On-line Catalogue).  Click on LANCAT and it will open a new screen with an oblong purple button "Begin a new search".  Click on the button and it opens a search facility.  I just simply put in the name I'm interested in (e.g.Troughton) and a list will appear several pages long.  The first items will be Marriage Bonds in the middle will be Quarter Sessions etc and the end of the list will be the Wills and Admons. 

Click on "Full Record" at the left hand side of any item and it will reveal more information.  You should be able to tell if the person named is one of "yours" but do be careful.  I thought I had found a will for my Elizabeth Fisher but when I ordered a copy it turned out to be someone else!!  Lancashire Archive seem to charge at least £5.00 per will whatever the size - one page or many - and it isn't always obvious when there is an Admon rather than a Will.

I've been doing the actions to get the explanation right.  There are 5 pages of Troughton items with 50 items to a page, although the last page may be a bit shorter than the others. So that means there are over 50 Wills/Admons listed and something over 100 Marriage Bonds.  I hope you find something interesting amongst them.  

I'm not sure if the search will work with wildcards.  I tried the advanced search when I first found the index but got in the muddle so have stuck to simple search since then using the "and" "or" commands to keep common name lists to a reasonable length; (e.g. "Troughton and Kendal") will give you all the instances of Troughton with Kendal as the place where the event took place or as the place of residence.  Don't forget to try any variant spellings it is sometimes amazing what can get thrown up from these on-line indexes.

Best wishes,

Missprim

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks!

If I may say so, beautifully explained - and I shall now enjoy myself looking up Troughton and my other Westmoreland names. Let's hope I can find something to help me that bit further along.

I've bookmarked the search page now so should be okay to go!

Once again, thanks for the link and for your patience with my Doh!!ness (good word, eh!?).

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 14:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andrea,

I've already checked out the FHS website and what few publications they do have seem to be mostly MIs and censuses.

I double checked the Archives site but, as I thought, they don't seem to have anything - very few Archives/Record Offices are in the publications-selling market.

That's why I wondered if anyone had come across another company like S&N which might just have some Kendal PRs for sale.

I've hit a bloomin great big brickwall with my Troughtons of Kendal. I've even had paid research done by Kendal Archives - they're very nice people but it's very expensive and takes forever! Plus, there's a limit to what you can ask them to look up in - say - one hour. It would be nice to be able to trot along to Kendal in person but I don't live anywhere near (wish I did, it's beautiful!).

Oh well, I'll keep searching - and hopefully S & N will extend their CD coverage of Kendal PRs.  :-\

Jill

Hi,
I know this was a long time ago but I have Troughton's from Kendal in  2 branches of my tree too and was wondering if we might have some ancestors in common or information to share.
The furthest I can get back with any degree of certainly is John Troughton who married Ellen Balderston      ( from Wigan) in 1814. I think he was a weaver. Their children were Emma, Alice, John, Richard, William and Eleanor.

Eleanor married into the equally confusing Dover family and then for added fun her son married into the Dowker family. Both families bred like rabbits and ranged across Westmorland, Lancashire and parts of Cumberland and a few pop up in Liverpool and Glasgow.

My other Troughton's are Mary Troughton who I think (but cannot make the link to prove it) was the daughter of the superbly named William Barrow Troughton who married Ann Robinson (Kendal 1795) and had many children including Septimus Troughton whom I think my Mary is lodging with in 1841.
Perhaps we can help each other by sharing /comparing information if you would like.
Regards
B
Reid, Munro, kempster: Edinburgh
Sutherland, Gunn: Caithness
Ferguson: Fife
McIntyre: Liverpool
Key: Newcastle On Tyne/ Norfolk
Lake, Brinded, Wymer, Briggs: Norfolk
Philipson, Kellet, Peet, Storrow, Leck, Gifford Willan, Dover Dowker, Casson Benson, Verty: Westmorland & Cumberland & Lancashire
Ludford, Allen, lockwood: Leicestershire & Warwickshire
Trotter, Collier, Pollard, Cresswell: Northumberland

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 28 May 20 13:29 BST (UK) »
I've sent you a PM, Bunbury125.
HELP!!!