Author Topic: Dunn/Simpson/ Sherrel's(Sherratt's) of Montrose  (Read 3488 times)

Offline BoBo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Dunn/Simpson/ Sherrel's(Sherratt's) of Montrose
« on: Sunday 16 January 05 12:39 GMT (UK) »
I am in search of any information regarding the Dunn/ Simpson families of Montrose.  My link is a William Simpson Dunn who was born on 5/3/1833 in Montrose.  His parents were Alexander Dunn and Martha Simpson.  They were married on the 19/6/1825.  I know that William Simpson married Sarah Sherrel (Sherratt?)but all their children were born in London.  Who were Alexander Dunn and Martha Simpson?  Did they have any other children?  Why did William go to London and when?  Also Sarah Sherrel was born in Scotland.  Did they meet there or in London?
I know that you will be probably unable to answer any of my questions but any link would be great!
BoBo
UK - Dunn, Lands, Knight, Wickes, Hawkins, Rumbelow, Low & Jolly
Malta - Camilleri, Aguis Delicata, Sciberras & Navarro

Offline Jinty

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dunn/Simpson/ Sherrel's(Sherratt's) of Montrose
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 January 05 13:01 GMT (UK) »
I am a direct descendant of the above named, he was my Gt. Gt Grandfather.  I have a complete tree going back to 1776 of the Dun/Dunn of Montrose and those who removed to London and other parts.
I found this forum by chance this morning whilst looking for pictures of Montrose - I dont normally join forums because I am still on a dial up networking connection.
I am therefore not sure how we can communicate this information but perhaps you will post and advise.

Offline BoBo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 January 05 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jinty

Many many thanks for your message. I've tried to send you a message already, so if this is a repeat - sorry!

My William Simpson Dunn was born on the 5/3/1833.  He married Sarah Sherrel but I know very little about Sarah except that she was born sometime around 1829.  They apparently went to live in London and had as far as my records show 5 children - Alexander (b1860), Edith (b1862), William Simpson (b23/7/1863), Henry (b1864) and Jennie (b1869).  William Simpson married Harriett Sarah Rumbelow on 10/7/1887 and so far I have found out that they had 2 children - but I suspect more - William Simpson ( b1895) & Robert Lionel (b21/10/1888).  Robert married Alice Elizabeth Lands on the 18/5/1912 and they in turn had 6 children - one of which was my husbands father Albert Douglas Dunn.

Can you tell me more about Sarah Sherrel and also about Alexander Dunn and Martha Simpson?  When Doug died ( Albert Douglas) my husband found no papers about his life at all and that is when we began our search.  Can you help?

Also please forgive me for not replying so quickly - 3 kids, work and home reduces my computer allowance!

Thanks again
BoBo

Offline Jinty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 January 05 15:22 GMT (UK) »
I am pleased that you have been able to respond.  We are related.   I have a complete tree for the Dunn family of Montrose and London and the Sherret family of Inverbervie, Angus, formerly Forfarshire.  Both lines go back to mid 1700s.   Both families travelled south to make a living as it wasnt that easy in Scotland at the time. 

William and Sarah met and married in London;  William was the son of a Printer and Publisher and took his knowledge to London to make his way in life. 

If you are prepared to send me a private message with your e-mail address I would send you a copy of each of the trees;  as you will imagine, they are extensive.

Everything happens all at once or not at all with genealogy research.  I have found a living relative of the Sherret line in the past couple of days; and received a photograph.

I found a living relative in my paternal line, also in Scotland just a couple of weeks after I started searching, which is pretty fantastic because I never knew my natural father;  parents divorced during the war.   My paternal line is in the name of CHESTER and ROWAT of Glasgow and that line too goes back 1700 with a lot of genealogical excitement, multiple marriages a whole host of children and a marriage between first cousins. 

Jinty.

Offline BoBo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 January 05 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Dear Jinty
Many thanks for your message. I have replied to your other e-mail so look for my message.
You have already answered one of my questions in as much as William and Sarah married in London.  Do you have a date? If not I will ask the question on this chat forum and hopefully someone will come up with a date.
My husbands side is also a bit mudled. His Dad never kept in contact with all his brothers and sister and we have no means of contact.  We do have contact with one cousin who has no interest in the family what so ever.
Hope to hear from you soon
BoBo

Offline Jinty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello BoBo,

Have replied to your personal mail address with two spreadsheet trees each of Sherret and Dunn family trees back to 1760s.

Am changing server as notified.  Pls dont lose touch now you know we are related.

If anyone else here is interested in the DUNN and/or SHERRET lines please get in touch.

When all who know are gone it is too late making searching more difficult than it might have been.  We need to ask more of our living relatives than we do just because we think they are out of touch with modern life is no excuse not to talk to them.

Jinty