Author Topic: Help needed for Findlay families - Straiton & Dalrymple  (Read 5670 times)

Offline colin72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed for Findlay families - Straiton & Dalrymple
« on: Saturday 19 April 08 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

I am having a difficult time trying to track down a family in the 1841 census whom were headed by John Findlay (born about 1792, Kirkmichael, Ayrshire - died 21 Feb 1879, Dalrymple) and Agnes McCredie (born ? - died ?) whom were married on 20 Jan 1815 in Straition according to IGI records.

At the moment I have found the following children of John Findlay and Agnes McCredie as being:

a) Sarah Findlay born 01 Jan 1819 in Straiton
b) David Findlay christened 24 Oct 1820 in Straiton
c) Jane Findlay born about 1822 in Patna - died 10 Apr 1887 in Ayshire (Jane is my 3rd great grandmother)
d) Matthew Findlay christened 12 Aug 1828 in Straiton

I do not know if there were any more children and I do not know if Sarah Findlay survived into adulthood and was married herself. Jane Findlay would marry Robert Woodrow.

I have found the Findlay family in the 1851 Census for Straiton, Ayshire headed by John and Agnes, and their two sons Matthew Findlay and David Findlay. There appears to be either a niece or grandchild named Mary Martin living the family as well.

By 1861 I only found a census record for John Findlay who appears to be widowed by this time, and once again his niece or granddaughter Mary Martin is living with him. In the 1871 Census John Findlay is living with my Woodrow family in Dalrymple.

Besides from the 1851 census I cannot find any further census records for the sons David Findlay and Matthew Findlay so I am not sure what became of them and if they were ever married and had any children of their own?

I shall end this message with some further details about John Findlay's parents and siblings.

From the IGI records it looks like my 5th great grandparents David Findlay (born ? - died ?) and Isabella Grieve (born ? - died ?) were married on 23 Nov 1782 in Kirkmichael in Ayshire.

I then found a few birth/christening records of their children whom included:

a) James Findlay christened 20 Feb 1785 in Dalrymple
b) Catherine Findlay christened 23 Jul 1786 in Dalrymple
c) Margaret Findlay christened 20 Jul 1788 in Straiton
d) John Findlay born about 1792 in Kirkmichael - died 21 Feb 1879 in Dalrymple (John is my 4th great grandfather)

At the moment I do not know if there were any more children and I do not know what may of become of James, Catherine and Margaret Findlay.

I would be very interested to see if anyone has any connections to any of the above Findlay family members!

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed for Findlay families - Straiton & Dalrymple
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 April 08 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Your family are at Millton, Dalmellington, Ayrshire on the 1841.  Transcribed by Ancestry as Finla !

John, 40, coal miner
Agness, 40
Margaret 24,
Jean, 18
Matthew, 15
plus
Jean Jebeson, 5
Mary Marton, 3.

No Sarah or David. I'll have a look for them now. Sarah could of course already be married and going under a married surname.

Cheers

Ellen.
Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 April 08 10:13 BST (UK) »
In 1841, David and Sarah are both working away from home:

David is at Hurlford, Riccarton, Ayrshire, age 20, Engine Keeper. Living with the family of Alexander Vallance, whose son, same age as David is also an Engine Keeper.

Sarah (20) is a Female Servant in the household of Alexander Williamson, Farmer, at Beach, Straiton, Ayrshire.

There is an extracted (so reliable) marraige on the IGI for Sarah Findlay to John Hood, 13 Jan 1850 @ Straiton.

Sarah and John Hood are on the 1851 census at Mye, Stoneykirk, Wigtownshire, where John is a Dairyman, age 43. No children as yet.

IGI shows 2 children born to the couple: Agnes Hood, 28 Mar 1855 @ Tradeston, Glasgow, and William Brown Hood, 12 Mar 1858, Blythswood, Glasgow.

1861, Sarah and John are living at 147 Hospital Street, Govan, with sons John b. c1852, and William b. c 1858. So looks like little Agnes did not survive (unless she is living with grandparents etc?), plus 8 lodgers.  John snr, was born Ochiltree, Ayrshire and is now a Warehouse Porter.

All the best.

Ellen.
Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Offline colin72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 April 08 21:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Ellen,

Thank you very much for all your help in tracking down my Findlay relatives in the census records!

I wonder if the actual Old Parish Register marriage record of John Hood and Sarah Findlay would indeed list her parent's names to verify that she is indeed our Sarah Findlay? It does seem likely that she is based upon her birth year, and that she had a daughter named Agnes whom I would imagine was named after Sarah's mother Agnes.

Colin

Offline stevenson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 June 16 12:57 BST (UK) »
I have just come across this message as I have begun to the Findlay family tree. My grandfather is John Marshal Findlay born Glasgow married Margaret Colquhuon Bell Brown , g grandfather Donald Findlay born Glasgow married Annie Marshall, gg grandfather is Matthew Findlay born Kilmaurs Married Catherine Campbell, ggg grandfather is John Findlay born Stration Married Mary O'May, gggg grandfather is John Findlay  born married Agnes MCCreaddie, ggggg grandfather is David Findlay born Dalrymple married Isabella Grieve

Am I search the same family

Josephine

Offline colin72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 June 16 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Josephine,

David Findlay and Isabella Grieve are my 5th Great Grandparents - John Findlay and Agnes McCredie are my 4th Great Grandparents - Jane Findlay and Robert Woodrow are my 3rd Great Grandparents - So it sounds like your 3rd Great Grandfather John Findlay is a potential brother to my 3rd Great Grandmother Jane Findlay....

Offline stevenson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 June 16 09:06 BST (UK) »
This is the same family. Did you find out what became of Agnes. I have been receiving hits on the Hood family from New Zealand a d Australia would they be part of Agnes family?

Offline colin72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 June 16 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Josephine,

At the moment, I do not have birth or death dates for Agnes McCredie. Would probably have to find her death record first to see if might list her parents names. I am not familiar with the Hood family - how do they relate to the family? I'm sorry its been a number of years since I really last looked at this branch of my family.

Offline stevenson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 June 16 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

Sarah Findlay married John Hood 13 January 1850. John died 1862. Sarah remarried and emigrated to Canterbury New Zealand son John went with them. It looks likes they began farming there. If all information is correct so begins our connection in New Zealand.

Josephine