Author Topic: Deaths in Sunderland Shipyards  (Read 23894 times)

Offline OzLamb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths in Sunderland Shipyards
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 February 12 12:00 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandfather John Lamb was injured in the Pickersgill Shipyard accident of 22 July 1926.  Suffered concussion but didn't seek medical attention and remained ill until his death in 1935.  A gangway collapsed on the SS Cairnglen killing Frederick Crossley Eggleston, Robert Galloway and William Young.  Article in Sundeland Echo from 23 July 2008 by Sarah Stoner about this accident.

Offline Hezekiah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ryhopelad

My Great grandfather - "Thomas Francis Wager" was killed in a Sunderland Shipyard in 1908 aged about 40 - I cannot find any details - what yard? - how he died etc - His wife was Ada Wager

His children were Reuben, Ruth, Olive, Thomas, Violet, William (decd 1904), and Ada.

I would be extremely grateful for any info. He had moved from Hartlepool just before the accident that caused his death.

Offline Hezekiah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ryhopelad

My Great grandfather - "Thomas Francis Wager" was killed in a Sunderland Shipyard in 1908 aged about 40 - I cannot find any details - what yard? - how he died etc - His wife was Ada Wager

His children were Reuben, Ruth, Olive, Thomas, Violet, William (decd 1904), and Ada.

I would be extremely grateful for any info. He had moved from Hartlepool just before the accident that caused his death.

Offline Ryhopelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hezekiah

Have checked my records and can find no report of the death of Thomas F. Wager in a shipyard accident. It is possible I may have missed the report, have found the date of his death 15th December 1908, will check in library tomorrow to see if I can find anything.

Best wishes

Ryhopelad
HAINES/HAYNES - Leicester, Northampton, Derby, Warwick
SHILLAW - Any
SWINHOE/SWINNEY - Durham
DOLAN - Durham
SHIPBUILDING FATALITIES & ACCIDENTS ON THE RIVER WEAR, SUNDERLAND

Offline Hezekiah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks RL appreciate your help -

Offline Ryhopelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hezekiah

Checked the local newspaper around the time of the death Of Thomas and could not find anything relating to him. Do you have any details on where he was buried, possible headstone may give some information.  Have checked the four main cemeteries for Sunderland (Sunderland Cemetery, Bishopwearmouth Cemetery, Mere Knoll Cemetery and Southwick Cemetery) , but I could not find a burial record for him.
As the condition of the microfilms of the newspaper are not very good, will take another look just in case I missed the report.
Will get back to you.
Best wishes
Ryhopelad
SHILLAW - Any
SWINHOE/SWINNEY - Durham
DOLAN - Durham

Offline Hezekiah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all your hard work - I don't have any more info about Thomas - I doubt the family were able to afford a burial/gravestone. In 1901 they lived in Hartlepool; their youngest child ADA was born in Hartlepool in 1905. The move to Sunderland must have been between 1905 and 1908.

The only other thing I know is that in 1910 Ada was remarried to James Errington. The now Errington family's address in the 1911 census was 50 Wellington Lane, Deptford -

Thomas's father was Hezekiah Wager a mariner who it is thought was lost at sea in 1899. His mother Ruth died in 1933 They lived in Hartlepool.

Offline Ryhopelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hezekiah

Sorry to say have come up with no information on the death of Thomas, also double checked cemetery records with no luck. It is possible his body may have been returned to Hartlepool for burial if this was his home town . You could try burial records for Hartlepool if you live in the area or try another post to see if someone from the area can help you. As for him being killed in the shipyard there is only his death certificate which would provide any information. There are no records available of deaths in the shipyards of Sunderland and I have to rely on newspaper reports and other researchers like yourself who kindly contact me with information.
Will keep your name on file and if anything does turn up I will get back to you. If you do find any further information on Thomas would you please contact me. If there is some evidence that he was killed in a shipyard accident I would like him to be included so he can be remembered with the others who tragically died in the shipyards on the River Wear.

Ryhopelad
SHILLAW - Any
SWINHOE/SWINNEY - Durham
DOLAN - Durham

Offline Hezekiah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 17 January 13 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your research RL - I might just try to buy the DC - will let you know what I find.

Hez