Author Topic: Deaths in Sunderland Shipyards  (Read 23819 times)

Offline Ryhopelad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths in Sunderland Shipyards
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 May 08 19:59 BST (UK) »
Gilbert

Checked Bishopwearmouth, Mere Knoll, Sunderland & Southwick cemeteries between the dates 1893 - 1896 (inc.) and found no evidence of Alfred Lee Kilburn being buried.

Ryhopelad 
HAINES/HAYNES - Leicester, Northampton, Derby, Warwick
SHILLAW - Any
SWINHOE/SWINNEY - Durham
DOLAN - Durham
SHIPBUILDING FATALITIES & ACCIDENTS ON THE RIVER WEAR, SUNDERLAND

Offline FrankE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 May 08 15:43 BST (UK) »
A relative of mine (I'd have to look up the actual relationship) was killed in May 1901 at Bartrams shipyard.
The death notice in the Sunderland Daily Echo read:-

"ERSKINE - At the Infirmary on the 25th inst. (through an accident while following employment as Shipwright at Messrs Bartram & Sons) aged 21 years, William, the dearly loved husband of Isabella Erskine".

Sadly he didn't live to see the birth of his son William the following February. In fact he'd only been married on 8th April :(
Erskine - England
Blenkarn (and Blencarn) - Westmorland/Durham
Tuer - Westmorland/Durham
Annison - Sunderland and thereabouts
Wayman - Sunderland
Milburn - Sunderland
Wardropper - Chester-le-Street & Sunderland

Offline Ryhopelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 May 08 20:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information on William Erskine, I have the report of the accident from the Echo, but not the death announcement.

In my records I have an accident report (small paragraph) on the death of a rigger Andrew Erskine (1795 - 1852) killed at Johnston's shipyard at Hylton. Do you know if there is a connection between Andrew & William, grateful if you could let me know.

Ryhopelad
SHILLAW - Any
SWINHOE/SWINNEY - Durham
DOLAN - Durham

Offline FrankE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 May 08 08:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information on William Erskine, I have the report of the accident from the Echo, but not the death announcement.

In my records I have an accident report (small paragraph) on the death of a rigger Andrew Erskine (1795 - 1852) killed at Johnston's shipyard at Hylton. Do you know if there is a connection between Andrew & William, grateful if you could let me know.

Ryhopelad

OK - Andrew was a great great uncle of William. Their common ancestor was William Erskine (1752-1816) (with his wife Jane (Anderson)) (whose gravestone is at Sunderland parish churchyard).
If you care to go to email I'll let your know details of dates/families and so on.

I didn't know any details of the death of Andrew (apart from the date, all I had was that he was 'accidentally killed'.

Regards -
Erskine - England
Blenkarn (and Blencarn) - Westmorland/Durham
Tuer - Westmorland/Durham
Annison - Sunderland and thereabouts
Wayman - Sunderland
Milburn - Sunderland
Wardropper - Chester-le-Street & Sunderland

Offline Dumpling

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 June 08 16:03 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for information about George Metcalf Taylor, a mariner apparently died in a shipyard accident, possibly the Deptford Yard. (I'm not sure if that is the correct spelling). He was born in Sunderland in 1852 , married to Sarah Ann Martin and had 10 children all in Sunderland. The only death I can find was in 1895 in Greenwich.
In the 1901 census, his daughter Georgina is found at the Sailors' Orphan Girls Home and School in Hampstead.

Any help appreciated.
Joan

Offline Ryhopelad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 June 08 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Joan

Have checked my records and have nothing on the death of George Metcalf Taylor. It is possible you have the wrong Deptford which is understandable with the family coming from Sunderland.

There was a Royal Dockyard in Deptford London and I think this could well be where George worked which fits in with the death you found. Quite a number of shipyard workers did go to work there taking their families with them. This would be at a time when there was not enough work on the River Wear. Some returned home when the ships the Navy required were finished.

Looking at the death details on FreeBMD this does look like your George (year of birth 1852) especially with his daughter being found in an orphanage in that area.

In case I am on the wrong track I will keep your information on record and if I do find anything will get back to you.

Best wishes

Ryhopelad

SHILLAW - Any
SWINHOE/SWINNEY - Durham
DOLAN - Durham

Offline Dumpling

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 June 08 21:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for having a look.

Joan

Offline norstayl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 February 10 16:35 GMT (UK) »
I have just stumbled across this subject on Roots Chat, asking for info on accidents in shipyards which I have, but don't know if you are still interested , as this is an old message from 2008.
I will foreward the name & year of my g uncles death,and you can let me know if you want more info : Doxford Shipyard  Dec 17th 1895 Ralph Davison died in a horrendous accident aged 28 he left a wife & 3 children         
I have the report of the accident in detail.
get in touch if need be.
Cheers Norma
I would like to contact anyone who has lost relations through accidents which occurred in the shipyards of the River Wear, Sunderland.
No records exist of the men and boys who died in such tragic circumstances while working in terrible conditions. Looking for any information which would help my research.
There isn't a memorial to those who lost their lives but if my research proves popular I would like to set up a fund to provide a fitting memorial to those who died.   
An article on this subject can be seen in the Sunderland Echo dated 17th April 2008.

Ryhopelad

Offline Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 February 10 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Like the last post, I have just come across this old thread. My great grandfather George BURN, a shipyard rivetter died aged 35 as a result of "Accidentally injured by falling from deck of new ship to ground in Robert Thompson and Sons shipbuilding yard Southwick   through overbalancing himself" - from death cert 13 March 1906, after an inquest

Interestingly perhaps, the last clause appears to have bene added as an afterthought!

Middx
Names: Harris, Burn, Rowe, Nelson, Allin, Archbold/Archibald, Telfer, Wilshere