Author Topic: Surname intrests in The Lye area  (Read 75243 times)

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surname intrests in The Lye area
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vanessa, I think Richard's wife was Maria Hutton, they Married 29.5.1826 Kingswinford St Mary's.  I don't know where you live but there are a selection of Books on Lye written by ( think it was Bill Pardoe from Lye.)  I read them a few years ago from my Local Library.  I do have some Lye Pardoe connections, but not your rich family :)  Best Wishes from linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline vcsanderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 21:23 GMT (UK) »
thanks Linell - I will try and get hold of the books.  The family you mention is definitely my family.  John Henry (one of the young boys was my great great grandfather).  Its all very interesting and quite obsessisve (I've only really just got into this family tree lark!).  Hope I have lots of rich relatives I can find !!!!! (only joking).
I really appreciate all your help.  thanks so much, Vanessa

Offline jandap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Surname interests in The Lye area
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello all
Some Pardoe information:

Richard Pardoe b 1802 d 1887 was the son of Joseph Pardoe 1758 & Jane Brook 1761.
The 1871 census shows Richard as butcher & farmer of 12 acres.  Even at the ripe age of 79 in 1881 he has the occupation of cow keeper.  The enumeration district 2E for Lye in 1851 commences at Mr Richard Pardoe's butchers shop on the south side of the Stourbridge to Halesowen Turnpike road.

Joseph and Jane had 12 children and I know of three who were butchers - the aforesaid Richard, my gg grandfather George 1787 and Joseph 1793.

John 1785 and Thomas 1800 living next door to Richard in 1851 are indeed the batchelor brothers of Richard, and George and Joseph. The rest of the family was Betty 1782, Mary 1789, Jenny 1791, Elizabeth 1797, William 1798 and another Betty in 1804.

The set of books mentioned are authored by Pat Dunn who has written three so far in a series entitled 'Britain in Old Photographs - Lye and Wollescote', the same as a 'Second Selection' and the latest as the 'Third Collection', the first was written in conjunction with the late Denys Books. They appear quite often on ebay and in online booksellers catalogues. Bill Pardoe and his father, the photographer William Pardoe, are mentioned in various places in these books.

I have more on Pardoes if you are interested.

Arlen
Pardoe, Pearson, Crampton, Lavender, Homer, Syner, Bellamy, Bloomer.

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 15 January 09 06:54 GMT (UK) »
<The set of books mentioned are authored by Pat Dunn who has written three so far in a series entitled 'Britain in Old Photographs - Lye and Wollescote', the same as a 'Second Selection' and the latest as the 'Third Collection', the first was written in conjunction with the late Denys Books. They appear quite often on ebay and in online booksellers catalogues. Bill Pardoe and his father, the photographer William Pardoe, are mentioned in various places in these books.>

Hi Arlen, I didn't mean the 'Britain in Old Photographs' Series, Bill Pardoe has written at least three books in his own right, I have read them, your local Library can obtain them for you.  HTH from linell.
Black Country Stringer, Sidaway, Mansell, Haynes, Westwood, Yardley, Reading, Worton, Willetts.

Offline vcsanderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 15 January 09 11:05 GMT (UK) »
thank you so much for this information Arlen.  I would love more info on the Pardoe family.   John Henry Pardoe (born 1840) is my great great grandfather.  We have been trying to get to the bottom of a family mystery for a long time and now we feel we have are getting there.  This is the story that has been passed down through the generations :

My great great grandmother (Rosannah Langham), was a servant to a family called Dr John Adams (1881 census - age 20 - Wolstanton / Burslam district).   We are not sure how they met but she did meet John Henry Pardoe at some point.  At this time John was married to wife Jane Cannock Holloway Curnock.  John and Jane had 6 children.  It would appear that John Henry and my great great grandmother had a relationship and my great great grandmother became pregnant (we assume to John Pardoe but we are not sure).  We think that the Pardoe family married her off to a chap named John Grunnell (married in 1884 in Burslam).  We think this marriage was obviously for convenience and John Grunnell did not stick around.  Rosannah's first child was born in 1885 in Burslam (Amelia Ellen).  John Henry Pardoe seems to have left his wife Jane (and their children) to abscond with my great great grandmother and they settled in a place called Newton / Ledsham which was in the parish of Leeds.  It is actually now a suburb of Castleford (West Yorkshire).  John and Mary stayed together until his death in 1901 (or it could have been 1902).  They had 5 children themselves, one of whom was my great grandmother Mary Ellen Pardoe Grunnell (born 21 Nov 1889).  Rosannah and John Pardoe never married and we do not believe Rosannah ever divorced John Grunnell hence she kept the surname Pardoe-Grunnell.  There are lots of other little quirky stories but ultimately it would seem John Henry Pardoe had a legitimate family (to Jane) and an illegitimate family to Rosanna.  Obviously back in those days this must have been shameful and I suppose that is why a lot of this info has been kept secret for such a long time.  It certainly wasn't discussed openly and we could never quite get to the bottom of it all. 

thanks again so much - I am intrigued and excited to learn more! 

Offline jandap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 15 January 09 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Linnell

Thanks for the response. Sorry for suggesting the wrong set of books, you mentioned three and that was the only collection on Lye that I know of.  Bill Pardoe was my father and as far as I am aware he did not write any books on local history in Lye.  He did give illustrated lectures on the changes in the Lye and Stourbridge areas throughout the sixties and seventies and was a regular contributor to the Black Country Magazine - perhaps you are thinking of these?  He wrote about 'Teacher Ellen', 'The Stourbridge Lion', 'The First Hospital Carnival at Lye' and 'Early Film Relics'.  He did write two books, one on Witley Court - 'Witley Court and Church - Life and Luxury in a Great Country House' and 'Two Stourbridge Locomotives' based on his Black Country Magazine article. His photographic collection was placed in Stourbridge Library.

After his death I printed a collection of his recollections in a booklet 'Memories' given out at his memorial service in Lye Church and this can be read on my brother's website:
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pardos/MemMain.html

I wonder which Pardoes were in your family?

Regards

Arlen

Offline jandap

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 15 January 09 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Vanessa

We obviously have my 3xgreat grandfather Joseph Pardoe 1758 as a common ancestor. He was the father of Richard 1802 and George 1787.

Richard was the father of your rather interesting relative John Henry 1840.  George was the father of William 1828 then William 1862 and my father Bill (also, of course, a William) born in 1904.  As a side line I had no further information on John Henry and yours is fascinating!  So hello, cousin.

My picture, taken by grandfather William, shows my father Bill surrounded by his sisters Florence Mabel (Maisie), Gertrude Elsie (Trudie), Floss Rose (Floss) and Azubah Elizabeth (Zu).

As far as I can tell the Pardoe line goes back further, though the further back you go the less sure you can be without too much being available.

My research suggests:

Joseph Pardoe 1758 married Jane Brook 1761 in 1781 and had 12 children, including our Richard and George.

Thomas Pardoe 1724 married Mary Farmer 1722 in 1744 and they had 7 children including the above Joseph 1758

Joseph Pardoe ? married Sarah Perks ? in 1716 and had 4 children including the above Thomas 1724.

That's as far back as I can go.  I can give you the source references if you want to check them out yourself.

I also see that Linell has John Pardoe 1753, the son of George Pardoe and Elizabeth Brooks.  My gg grandfather George 1787, married to Jemima Wooldridge 1786, had a son George (also a Lye butcher) in 1815.  This must be the same George as yours, Linell, because he married Elizabeth Brookes 1824 in 1845 and they had 5 children including John Brookes Pardoe in 1853.

John Brookes Pardoe married Elizabeth Bullingham 1853 in 1873 and the line continues down from there.

I hope the names followed by birthdate make sense to everyone - its the only way I can keep track of the different ancestors with the same first names.

Let me know your thoughts on this!

Arlen

Offline vcsanderson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 January 09 12:15 GMT (UK) »
hello Cousin (if somewhat distant!!!)
isn't if fascinating - we've spent years searching for all of this and in the space of a few days we've found out so much.
Do you have any other Pardoe photos which might be of interest?
thanks
Vanessa

Offline linell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 15 January 09 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arlen, this is the set of books I read:- http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pardos/MemMain.html

Is the picture of your Grandfather?  As for my Pardoe's I have Jemima born 1788 who Married Joseph Yardley.  Joseph was my 4xGt Grandfather.  I also have Jane Brooks 1761 who Married your Joseph Pardoe, I am connected to them through the Brooks line.  I have Mary Ann Pardoe 1858 daughter of Wm and Elizabeth, Mary Ann Married Wm Yardley a Cousin of my Yardleys.  Mary Pardoe 1768 Married John Yardley, this John was the brother of Joseph above who Married Jemima Pardoe.  Then I have the George Pardoe and Elizabeth Brooks line that you mentioned in your post.  I also have loads of Wooldridges, these Lye families, just Married their neighbours, they are all connected I feel.  I did find the Wooldridge Tomb at Old Swinford when I went there last year, it was still readable and had a lot of information on it.  Nice to be in touch with you and Vanessa from linell.