Author Topic: Dorset button maker  (Read 29356 times)

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dorset button maker
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 July 08 17:28 BST (UK) »
My mum taught me to make several types of buttons when I was little ...she was a tailor by trade...and I have just found out today...after googling ...that one type was called a Dorset button. I used a metal curtain ring and either wool or crochet cotton to make them. I never knew that they had a specific name before. Very interesting Lydart  :) Thank you.

The buttons on the sampler...what material are they made from....are some made with wool felt?

mab
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 July 08 17:35 BST (UK) »
No, the grey background is a piece of thick cotton or linen, and its been backed with muslin.  The actual buttons are all domed, but without taking one to pieces, I have no idea whats inside them.   The sewing on the buttons is (now a bit grubby  :( ) white thick cotton thread.
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 July 08 18:06 BST (UK) »
Do they feel soft like they have stuffing in them...trying to figure it out as well...what does the back look like? They used to have forms for making buttons but I'm not sure when they were invented.

mab

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 July 08 23:57 BST (UK) »
I just had a look for "buttons" in  some of the County History books and came up with the following:
 Abraham Case found a large number of sheep horns when he moved to Shaftesbury in 1622. He sliced them into discs and covered them with embroidered linen thus making his first buttons. It says that Charles I had Case buttons on his waistcoat when he was executed.
Early in the 18th century, demand for buttons was outstripping the supply of horn, so Case's grandson discovered that brass rings were a good substitute. The rings were made by winding a coil of wire round a tube, then slicing each loop into a ring. The ends were joined together by dipping them in lead solder. The rings were tied together by the gross. The children who made the rings were known as "winders, dippers and stringers" and they were liable to both burning and lead poisoning.
In 1731, the industry was reorganized by the Case's manager. He formed two gathering depots at Shaftesbury and Bere Regis where the materials were kept with smaller depots across the region. On a given day, the workers would bring their buttons to the depot and receive their pay, material and rings for the week. The buttons were sorted at the depot and put on cards, pink for best, blue for standard and yellow for seconds. A good worker could make a gross of buttons a day or 12/- a week. Case's employed 4000 in 1803 with a £14,000 turnover and over 100 different types of button were being made.
Around 1852, a new button machine came into use in Birmingham which killed the trade almost overnight and many families had to emigrate to avoid starvation.
I hope that's of interest, my gt-gt granny was a Case so I think there might be a connection   :)
Fred

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 July 08 02:14 BST (UK) »
Very interesting Fred.. I was given a box of buttons by an elderly lady just before she passed away. That was about 25 years ago and she was in her 80's then. There are some very weird and strange buttons/fasteners.....there is one in particular that I'm thinking of taking to our local museum.

mab

added: sorry off topic  :-\

Offline derby girl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 23:44 BST (UK) »
Dear Lydart
Have found WI booklet - very, very basic - but not the booklet from the Dorset County Museum.
Regards
Derby Girl
Winson, Derbys; Stanley, Sts; Franklin, Beds; Barker Sts etc. ; Farnham, Dorset; Harrison, Dbys, Leics.

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 October 08 09:35 BST (UK) »
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 

Offline jendor

• Sorry email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Dorset OPC Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 October 08 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Lydart

The Cavalcade of Costume Museum in Blandford have a case full of Dorset Buttons... I used to do Cavalcade years ago when I was a teenager and was a steward when the costumes went into the museum. They're not open on a Monday & Tuesday so can't check but they used to sell packs with all the material and instructions to make them.

I can make several different versions of them, well I haven't done any for a long time!

It might be worth giving them a call, I can't remember off the top of my head what the ones you have are called but someone there might be able to take a look and tell you... I know there are 'Dorset knobs' and 'High tops'...

There website is at http://www.cavalcadeofcostume.co.uk and they mention the buttons on the accessories page.

HTH
Jennifer
(Dorset OPC)
Brickwalls... Dean in Brecknock, Freeman in Bedfordshire
Working on my girls tree...
Richer (Essex & suffolk)
Legg, Hunt, Ellis, Wareham (Dorset, Blandford & abouts)
Cannell , Cowley, Christian (Liverpool & Isle of Man)
Sherwood, Jeff/e, Bland, Sharrard (New forest)

Also interested in Paradise/Paradice in Gloucestershire

Trying to figure out the Davis family of Winterborne Abbas and where they originated (before about 1780)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 October 08 11:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that ... I saw some Dorset buttons in a display upstairs in Dorchester Museum, but mine are huge compared to those !  Still ... made by a seven year old ...

I think these are 'Dorset Knobs' !!    :o     High tops are taller and more pyramidical.